First TCP/IP (UCX) Release, Oldest VMS with (limited) IP
2006-11-21 00:12:05 UTC
There was a recent thread around here where a question on the oldest
OpenVMS VAX (VAX/VMS or MicroVMS) release with IP support (optionally)
available was raised. Here's the related and oldest (and very limited)
UCX-related information; the oldest VMS version with UCX (IP).

As for CMU IP or other IP products that might be around, that's another
discussion.

[Found this announcement on the way to something else equally ancient.]

--

VMS/ULTRIX Connection V1.0

This is a VMS layered software product that provides VMS services to UNIX
clients. This product includes the Internet (TCP/IP) networking
protocols running on VMS and the Network File System (NFS) server software
running on VMS. The importance of this product is that it allows any single
VMS system or a large VAXcluster system to act as an NFS server to a large
number of UNIX-based workstations. For the first time Digital provides
UNIX-based workstations with access to the high availability data management
features of a VAXcluster system such as shadowing.

Key Features: V1.0 support

- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
- Internet Protocol (IP)
- User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
- Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP)

Future versions will support mail (SMTP) and remote login (Telnet)
protocols.

Prerequesite Software required:

- For the VMS server, VMS 4.7 or V5.0, or MicroVMS V4.7
- For the UNIX client, any UNIX-based system which supports NFS V2.0 and the
networking protocols specified by the DDN (Defense Data Network) RFCs,
including ULTRIX-32 V2.2 or later and ULTRIX Worksystem Software V1.1 or
later.

Deliveries begin in the fall of 1988.
Richard Maher
2006-11-21 11:00:36 UTC
Hi Steve
Post by Stephen Hoffman
Deliveries begin in the fall of 1988.
Yep, I have the V1.0 release notes in front of me that say that IPsec just
missed the cut but should definitely make it to the next release :-(

Cheers Richard Maher
Richard B. Gilbert
2006-11-21 15:11:24 UTC
[...]
UCX SMTP support did not work properly in any version from V2.0E to V3.3
ECO13. V3.3 ECO14 fixed almost the last of dozens (or hundreds?) of
bugs that made UCX "e-mail hell". If Karol Zielonko is still around, he
should be able to give you chapter and verse. (Tell him I said "Hi")

Ummm. . . . I'll qualify that a little; it may have worked under very
light loads but trying to handle e-Mail for ~2000 people was "e-mail
hell". I'll never forget it and I suspect that Karol won't either.
Stephen Hoffman
2006-11-21 16:33:32 UTC
Post by Richard B. Gilbert
UCX SMTP support did not work properly in any version from V2.0E to V3.3
ECO13. V3.3 ECO14 fixed almost the last of dozens (or hundreds?) of
bugs that made UCX "e-mail hell". If Karol Zielonko is still around, he
should be able to give you chapter and verse. (Tell him I said "Hi")
Um, if that request was aimed at me and if you happened to miss it,
I'm "not still around." You might see Karol before I do, depending on
whether or not he shows up for the Partners' Roundhouse or some of the
sessions next month, or at some other similar event.

And as for the earlier versions of TCP/IP Services, I believe I
commented on the relative robustness of the early product versions in
that other thread.

I'd personally tend to want to run V4.2 or later and maybe V4.1 in a
pinch, and with the most current ECO loaded. As with most other
non-trivial products of a similar scope and similar bent, the earliest
releases were somewhat rocky, all things considered. (The early Unix IP
stacks were no joy to deal with, either.) V4.2 is solid, as are other
and more recent releases. (If chasing down old bugs and locating old
ECOs and scrounging up old details and old documentation -- and getting
old software and hardware to work -- is something you happen to find
interesting and rewarding, however, do have at. Or should you have
business constraints that require such efforts, do call me. :-) )
Richard B. Gilbert
2006-11-21 20:52:38 UTC
Post by Richard B. Gilbert
[...]
I last saw UCX V3.3 in 1997 or thereabouts. I hope I never see it
again. I did have a call from a client a few years ago who was still
running it and having problems. I told him what the fix was but neither
he nor I could find a publicly available copy of ECO14. I suggested
that he upgrade but I don't know if he did or not. He didn't have a
service contract; that would have made things too easy!!

I agree with you about UCX V4.2. Even V4.0 was a massive improvement.
It's all ancient history now.

I learned more in less time on that job than any other before or since!
And I'm one of the few and the brave that ever set up a DNS server using
UCX 3.3!!!