Some machines obsolete
Matthias Maisenbacher
2021-04-07 14:51:17 UTC
Hi folks,

in our company VMS has come to an end of life.
So some machines are orphaned and will be thrown away.
I've got the opportunity to take some (rather bad) pictures.
And got 2 weeks to find someione who wants or needs such old devices.

So please feel free to check the pictures here:
http://familie-maisenbacher.de/VMS/alle.htm
(For some machines there are 2 images)

They are located in Schwieberdingen, wich is about 15km north of
Stuttgart in Germany.

I think that all of them were running when they shut them down.
But this might have happened months ago for some.
So I can't guarantee anything.

But I'd say that for the age they are in good shape.

I'm definitely not goint to ship them.
But might be willing to get the machines out or
to arrange a date.

Technical questions might be interesting but
without running machines I can't login anymore.

So if you're close to here think about them
and whether you are interested in a glimpse of the past
or in a new hobby.

Greetings

Matthias
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
Just in case you didn't get my email: please contact me.
Jan-Erik Söderholm
2021-04-07 15:00:57 UTC
[...]
It would surprice me *a lot* if you do not get any takers for the DS15s.
They have a rather high second hand value (together with DS25). This is
the fastest Alpha (1.0 GHz) made in a small format...
abrsvc
2021-04-07 15:12:19 UTC
[...]
My emails are getting blocked for some reason. I too am interested in a few if shipping etc is reasonable. Please contact me if you can at the address below.

Thanks,
Dan

***@yahoo.com
Jan-Erik Söderholm
What about: "I'm definitely not goint to ship them."
Chris Hanson
2021-04-09 20:48:54 UTC
For some of the systems depicted, shipping costs would have to be rather
high to be unreasonable. I'd love to get my hands on something like a
4000/100A even it if meant dealing with shipping from Germany to
California. (I also suspect it'd be more likely to survive shipping by
someone who understands the hardware than some random "flipper" on eBay…)

-- Chris (***@eschatologist.net)
alexey chupahin
2021-04-10 08:30:31 UTC
Hello!
interested in any Vaxstation
please contact me alexey AT vaxman.de
or send your email
John H. Reinhardt
2021-04-07 17:46:29 UTC
[...]
If I were anywhere near (Like on the same continent) I'd have a truck there to pick these up. They are all fairly high end (for VAXen) and the Alphas are great models for home/hobbyist use as well.
--
John H. Reinhardt
Texas, USA
uta...@gmail.com
2021-04-07 20:32:43 UTC
Hi Matthias,

I'm interested and able to provide a new home for the VAXen.
Would be nice to here from you, in case they have not found a new home until now.

Many Greetings
Ulrich
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-04-08 07:07:31 UTC
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
in our company VMS has come to an end of life.
So some machines are orphaned and will be thrown away.
I've got the opportunity to take some (rather bad) pictures.
And got 2 weeks to find someione who wants or needs such old devices.
http://familie-maisenbacher.de/VMS/alle.htm
(For some machines there are 2 images)
I emailed you but have received no reply. Please check your spam
folder.

My email address is helbig AT multivax DOT de (change AT to @ and DOT to
.)
Matthias Maisenbacher
2021-04-08 07:36:39 UTC
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
http://familie-maisenbacher.de/VMS/alle.htm
Meanwhile I got 8 private mails and saw the replies here in the group.
So I don't think that I need more interested people :- )

I'm now going to ask in the company how the machines could leave the
building. If I know more I'll get back to you.

Matthias
Matthias
shadoooo
2021-04-08 08:14:48 UTC
Hello all,
I wrote to Matthias with my personal email, to ask if he can ship a couple of machines to Italy.
In case somebody in Germany will take the lot and it's in willing to ship/sell some machines, specially VAX 4000-105A and 4000-90, please let me know!

Thanks
Andrea
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-04-08 09:15:51 UTC
Post by shadoooo
I wrote to Matthias with my personal email, to ask if he can ship a
couple of machines to Italy. In case somebody in Germany will take the
lot and it's in willing to ship/sell some machines, specially VAX
4000-105A and 4000-90, please let me know!
As I mentioned to Matthias, I am interested in the ALPHAs, but having
worked with such VAX machines for years, I know that it would be a real
shame to have them thrown away, so I offered to collect them if no-one
else can and give them a good home. I know some people in Germany who
would either want them or could find a good home for them. As soon as
we are allowed to travel to Croatia under sensible conditions, we will
take a holiday there. We could drive through northern Italy and meet
you somewhere. (I've done such things before!) If all goes well this
could be 4 or 10 or 11 or 18 July. I would be happy to keep the
machines until I could bring them to Italy. I could also ship them if
you're willing to pay, but my guess is that it would be rather
expensive, and there is always the danger that they get damaged in
transit.
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
A big thanks for putting in the effort to save this hardware!
Simon Clubley
2021-04-08 12:34:47 UTC
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
http://familie-maisenbacher.de/VMS/alle.htm
Meanwhile I got 8 private mails and saw the replies here in the group.
So I don't think that I need more interested people :- )
I'm now going to ask in the company how the machines could leave the
building. If I know more I'll get back to you.
First, thanks for going to the effort to save these machines.

Second, don't forget to properly wipe them before the transfer to
another person. Just because a file is marked as deleted, it doesn't
mean the actual contents have been deleted on the disk.

I would suggest you talk to your security people to understand what
their policies are in this area.

chris
2021-04-08 21:44:58 UTC
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
http://familie-maisenbacher.de/VMS/alle.htm
Meanwhile I got 8 private mails and saw the replies here in the group.
So I don't think that I need more interested people :- )
I'm now going to ask in the company how the machines could leave the
building. If I know more I'll get back to you.
First, thanks for going to the effort to save these machines.
Second, don't forget to properly wipe them before the transfer to
another person. Just because a file is marked as deleted, it doesn't
mean the actual contents have been deleted on the disk.
I would suggest you talk to your security people to understand what
their policies are in this area.
Simon.
Do that and they may shut the whole thing down and insist that the
machines are crushed. Less said the better and most people are honest
after all. Just ask them to reformat the drives on receipt...

Or just do not ship the drives. They are fairly easy to replace.
Dave Froble
2021-04-09 00:55:57 UTC
Post by chris
Post by Simon Clubley
[...]
Not on the VAXStation Model 4000 units. Possibly not for all the Alphas
either.

I'm moving to SSD drives, where I can.

If the company has security issues, they are probably already addresses.
2021-04-09 10:44:08 UTC
Post by chris
Post by Simon Clubley
I would suggest you talk to your security people to understand what
their policies are in this area.
Do that and they may shut the whole thing down and insist that the
machines are crushed. Less said the better and most people are honest
after all. Just ask them to reformat the drives on receipt...
Or just do not ship the drives. They are fairly easy to replace.
If there are internal drives, and there is just a bit of time to get the
stuff out, and he doesn't have the place to store it or time to fiddle
with it, then removing the drives (which I'm sure many people would want
anyway, especially people who want the machines and might not have
enough of the corresponding drives) seems unnecessary.
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-04-09 10:42:29 UTC
Post by chris
Post by Simon Clubley
[...]
Whatever their policies are, everyone knows that the right thing to do
is to erase the drives, and certainly I would erase them before using
them. I agree; asking about their policies would gain nothing and
potentially lose a lot.
Marc Van Dyck
2021-04-08 17:05:24 UTC
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
Hi folks,
in our company VMS has come to an end of life.
Since nobody else asked... is it possible for you to reveal here
why VMS has been shut down in your work place ? That might be an
useful information for those who try to keep it alive, either as
a product, or in another work place...

Thank you,
Marc.
Marc Van Dyck
Matthias Maisenbacher
2021-04-12 15:02:56 UTC
Post by Marc Van Dyck
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
in our company VMS has come to an end of life.
Since nobody else asked... is it possible for you to reveal here
why VMS has been shut down in your work place ? That might be an
Good question.
They have been shut down because they are not really used for years now.

When I joined VMS here I was told that it'd use the VMS cluster in Europe.
Now, when I was logged in the last months, I found just me and system.

My main reason for logging into VMS was access to CMS, where I have
access to the living history from 1983 to 2010 and some questions of today
can be answered more easily with lookat that history.
And sometimes using DCL instead of bash because I'm still more fluent there.

Two years ago they realized that there are some hundreds of thousands
of Euros for maintenance. And that there is not much usage anymore.

So the last year we tried (and hopefully succeeded :- ) in identifying
potential users, data and applications.
Which, of course was not so easy because in many cases the person
who developed or maintained something, already passed away.
But this must be familiar for most of you.

Something could be moved to other VMS machines elswhere,
other stuff could be moved to another platform.
And then we just copied and archived the complete disks.
I think overall we stayed well below 4GB, which was an astronomic number
at that time and what currently is just one cheap hard disk.

And then finally we could switch thy clusters off.

That's it. Life always has an end.
And it was great being part of that live a lot of years.

Matthias
Matthias Maisenbacher
2021-04-12 15:05:46 UTC
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
When I joined VMS here I was told that it'd use the VMS cluster in Europe.
Typo. Corrected:
When I joined VMS here I was told that it'd use the biggest VMS cluster in Europe.
Michael Moroney
2021-04-12 18:39:52 UTC
How large was this cluster (when it was at its largest size)?
Matthias Maisenbacher
2021-06-18 12:51:30 UTC
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
So some machines are orphaned and will be thrown away.
And now finally the transfer has happened.
In the end we moved 14 machines. (7 Alpha and 7 VAX) as well as some tape drives and terminals.
It is in the hands of Phillip who might use some and pass some to others.
(Maybe not before it gets colder again in Germany).

Happy (VMS) computing!

Matthias
Simon Clubley
2021-06-18 17:14:30 UTC
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
So some machines are orphaned and will be thrown away.
And now finally the transfer has happened.
In the end we moved 14 machines. (7 Alpha and 7 VAX) as well as some tape drives and terminals.
It is in the hands of Phillip who might use some and pass some to others.
(Maybe not before it gets colder again in Germany).
$ set response/mode=good_natured

I wonder how Phillip found space for yet another 14 machines and
I wonder what his other half (IIRC, he is married) thinks about that... :-)

2021-06-18 20:08:26 UTC
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
So some machines are orphaned and will be thrown away.
And now finally the transfer has happened.
In the end we moved 14 machines. (7 Alpha and 7 VAX) as well as some tape drives and terminals.
It is in the hands of Phillip who might use some and pass some to others.
(Maybe not before it gets colder again in Germany).
$ set response/mode=good_natured
I wonder how Phillip found space for yet another 14 machines and
No problem. :-)
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2021-06-18 20:06:19 UTC
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
So some machines are orphaned and will be thrown away.
And now finally the transfer has happened.
In the end we moved 14 machines. (7 Alpha and 7 VAX) as well as some tape drives and terminals.
It is in the hands of Phillip who might use some and pass some to others.
(Maybe not before it gets colder again in Germany).
Yes. Two of you (you know who you are) contacted me a few weeks ago
with specific requests. We can discuss the details by email. In the
next 4 weeks I plan not only to test out the new stuff but also to take
inventory of the stuff I already have. Although I will keep some stuff
I don't use for nostalgic reasons, some things I might want to pass on
to a good home, especially VAX-related stuff. Contact me by email if
you're interested in collecting something. I live near Frankfurt am
Main in Germany.

I travel by car from time to time within Europe, so perhaps I can bring
you something.
Bill Gunshannon
2021-06-19 00:16:18 UTC
[...]
Not meaning top pry, just curious as I have lived over there and
made many a trip to Frankfurt but whereabouts. Still have friends
in the area.

2021-06-19 09:40:17 UTC
[...]
Neither of the two who know who they are are German or in Germany, but
somewhere where I will be travelling soon.
Bill Gunshannon
2021-06-19 18:35:07 UTC
[...]
Sorry, confusion. I was looking for something a little more detailed
about where, near Frankfurt you lived. I have a current friend in
Fechenheim and in the past visited the area from Mainz to Darmstadt
(even as far out as Würzburg) quite frequently. Of course, that was
as much as 50 years ago. :-)

2021-06-19 19:07:54 UTC
Post by Matthias Maisenbacher
And now finally the transfer has happened.
Yes. Two of you (you know who you are) contacted me a few weeks ago
with specific requests. We can discuss the details by email.
I live near Frankfurt am
Main in Germany.
Not meaning top pry, just curious as I have lived over there and
made many a trip to Frankfurt but whereabouts. Still have friends
in the area.
Neither of the two who know who they are are German or in Germany, but
somewhere where I will be travelling soon.
Sorry, confusion. I was looking for something a little more detailed
about where, near Frankfurt you lived.
Maintal, which is between Frankfurt and Hanau.
Post by Bill Gunshannon
I have a current friend in
Fechenheim
Fechenheim is one of the parts of Frankfurt closest to Maintal.
Bill Gunshannon
2021-06-19 22:58:56 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
I have a current friend in
Fechenheim
Fechenheim is one of the parts of Frankfurt closest to Maintal.
Yes, I remember Maintal. (I even know what it means :-)
Brings back pleasant memories. Haven't been their in person
since 2007 and everyday the chances of ever visiting again
get slimmer. My daughter was born in Germany (but not
anywhere near Frankfurt, Nord Rhein.) and to this
day still (technically) has dual citizenship.