VSI OpenVMS hobbyist - compilers?
Add Reply
Timothy Stark
2020-11-17 23:36:17 UTC
Folks,

I successfully installed OpenVMS 8.4-2L1 on new axpbox emulator under Linux
VM. I noticed axpbox is faster than FreeAXP because OpenVMS Alpha system is
as fast as running SIMH VAX emulator.

I was planning to install some compilers on system but can't find any
compilers package on VSI OpenVMS 8.4-2L1 distro.

How do I write some programs without compilers on VSI OpenVMS system?

Tim
dthi...@gmail.com
2020-11-17 23:52:51 UTC
Read the fine documentation that came with the software. All layered products come on a separate virtual disk.
Timothy Stark
2020-11-18 03:23:44 UTC
Thanks for replies. I checked and found other virtual disks contains layout
products.

Tim

Arne Vajhøj
2020-11-17 23:53:27 UTC
Post by Timothy Stark
I successfully installed OpenVMS 8.4-2L1 on new axpbox emulator under Linux
VM. I noticed axpbox is faster than FreeAXP because OpenVMS Alpha system is
as fast as running SIMH VAX emulator.
I was planning to install some compilers on system but can't find any
compilers package on VSI OpenVMS 8.4-2L1 distro.
How do I write some programs without compilers on VSI OpenVMS system?
Community license and software should include compilers.

But VMS comes with Macro-32.

John H. Reinhardt
2020-11-18 03:39:35 UTC
Post by Timothy Stark
Folks,
I successfully installed OpenVMS 8.4-2L1 on new axpbox emulator under Linux
VM. I noticed axpbox is faster than FreeAXP because OpenVMS Alpha system is
as fast as running SIMH VAX emulator.
I was planning to install some compilers on system but can't find any
compilers package on VSI OpenVMS 8.4-2L1 distro.
How do I write some programs without compilers on VSI OpenVMS system?
Tim
When you go to the VSI FTP site for Alpha downloads there is a LPS directory with two large ZIP files (200MB each). You have to download those.

AVMS842L2LP1.ZIP
AVMS842L2LP2.ZIP
--
John H. Reinhardt