Algol for VMS?
Add Reply
Robert
2021-01-05 19:23:06 UTC
I first learned Algol on a pdp10 and I'm almost certain that I later
used it on a Vax 780 in the early 80's but I've been unable to find
any references to Algol on VMS. Am I wrong or was it indeed available
and if so are there any copies of it available anywhere?
Bill Gunshannon
2021-01-05 19:38:14 UTC
Post by Robert
I first learned Algol on a pdp10 and I'm almost certain that I later
used it on a Vax 780 in the early 80's but I've been unable to find
any references to Algol on VMS. Am I wrong or was it indeed available
and if so are there any copies of it available anywhere?
I thought I remembered Algol for the VAX, too. However, a quick look
at the 1986 Version of The VAX Software Sourcebook shows nothing at all
related to ALGOL.

2021-01-05 21:04:16 UTC
Post by Robert
I first learned Algol on a pdp10 and I'm almost certain that I later
used it on a Vax 780 in the early 80's but I've been unable to find any
references to Algol on VMS. Am I wrong or was it indeed available and
if so are there any copies of it available anywhere?
I've never heard of an ALGOL implementation for VAX/VMS or OpenVMS. Not
from DEC, et al.

Search finds no (old) references to ALGOL here in the comp.os.vms
newsgroup, either.

The ALGOL Wikipedia page lists various implementations, one of which is
S-algol, which might work on an OpenVMS platform with JVM available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-algol

Targeting one of the OpenVMS freeware archive hosts for ALGOL information...

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:digiater.nl+algol

...finds a few references to PDP-10 emulation, and potentially with ALGOL.

https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/decus/vmslt01a/vu/retromuseum.html
https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/decus/vmslt02b/vu/pdp10emu.html

These with broken links, but maybe you can use filenames from those
broken links as search targets for more info, as ALGOL is your quest.
John Dallman
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALGOL_68RS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-algol

John
Mike T.
2021-01-12 18:56:48 UTC
Post by Robert
I first learned Algol on a pdp10 and I'm almost certain that I later
used it on a Vax 780 in the early 80's but I've been unable to find
any references to Algol on VMS. Am I wrong or was it indeed available
and if so are there any copies of it available anywhere?
There was at least one ALGOL68 compiler on VAX/VMS.

I first came across it while studying for my degree at London University, and then again several years later while working for an organisation that included RSRE. I don't think they were the same version, the first time would have been around 1985 while the latter was around 1994.
Mike T.
2021-01-12 19:36:42 UTC
Some OLD code
https://mike632t.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/algol68-linked-list/
Robert
2021-01-12 20:09:49 UTC
On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 10:56:48 -0800 (PST), "Mike T."
Post by Mike T.
Post by Robert
I first learned Algol on a pdp10 and I'm almost certain that I later
used it on a Vax 780 in the early 80's but I've been unable to find
any references to Algol on VMS. Am I wrong or was it indeed available
and if so are there any copies of it available anywhere?
There was at least one ALGOL68 compiler on VAX/VMS.
I first came across it while studying for my degree at London University, and then again several years later while working for an organisation that included RSRE. I don't think they were the same version, the first time would have been around 1985 while the latter was around 1994.
Thank goodness someone else remembers it. I thought my memory had
failed (well it does have some bit rot of course, but perhaps not that
bad).

Shame there doen't seem to be any copies around the www.