ADVENTURE (colossal cave adventure) on OpenVMS x86
2020-12-08 18:19:42 UTC
We now have ADVENTURE working on x86. Here's the output from the beginning and the end. I skipped the steps in the middle. Find your own way out of the cave.

$ show system/noproc
OpenVMS V9.0-F on node X86VMS 8-DEC-2020 13:17:51.31 Uptime 0 00:11:26
$ write sys$output f$getsyi("arch_name")
x86_64
$ show cpu

System: X86VMS, VBOX VBOXFACP

CPU ownership sets:
Active 0
Configure 0

CPU state sets:
Potential 0
Autostart 0
Powered Down None
Not Present None
Hard Excluded None
Failover None
$ run adventure

VAX Vobiscum!

Welcome to VAX/VMS Adventure!! Would you like instructions?

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and
down a gully.
enter

You are inside a building, a well house for a large spring.

There are some keys on the ground here.

There is a shiny brass lamp nearby.

There is food here.

There is a bottle of water here.

get keys
OK

get lamp
OK
<skipping ahead...>

The grate is locked.
blast

There is a loud explosion, and a twenty-foot hole appears in the far
wall, burying the dwarves in the rubble. You march through the hole
and find yourself in the main office, where a cheering band of
friendly elves carry the conquering adventurer off into the sunset.

You scored 350 out of a possible 350, using 330 turns.
Outstanding !!! You have broken the current record of 100
Go find the Wizard and have the record changed <<<<<
All of Adventuredom gives tribute to you, Adventurer Grandmaster!

To achieve the next higher rating would be a neat trick!

CONGRATULATIONS!!
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-12-09 08:13:43 UTC
We now have ADVENTURE working on x86.
All of Adventuredom gives tribute to you, Adventurer Grandmaster!
Cue requests for a big VSI press conference since every application
running on x86 attracts more VMS customers. ;-)
Simon Clubley
2020-12-09 13:17:41 UTC
We now have ADVENTURE working on x86.
All of Adventuredom gives tribute to you, Adventurer Grandmaster!
Cue requests for a big VSI press conference since every application
running on x86 attracts more VMS customers. ;-)
You are the perfect example of a fossil Phillip, with absolutely
no understanding of what is required in today's computing world.

2020-12-09 23:40:48 UTC
We now have ADVENTURE working on x86.
All of Adventuredom gives tribute to you, Adventurer Grandmaster!
Cue requests for a big VSI press conference since every application
running on x86 attracts more VMS customers. ;-)
You are the perfect example of a fossil Phillip, with absolutely
no understanding of what is required in today's computing world.
That's right. Today's modern business customers live in an advanced,
swift-moving world where they need to be able to run World of Warcraft,
not Adventure.

2020-12-09 13:12:27 UTC
We now have ADVENTURE working on x86. Here's the output from the beginning and the end. I skipped the steps in the middle. Find your own way out of the cave.
Nice. :-)

The one game I wish was still around is Warp which ran on MPE.

BTW, seeing VAX/VMS mentioned reminded me: how are you doing with
the image translator so that images from older architectures can
run on x86-64 ?

I think the last thing Clair said was that we did an early prototype for Alpha to x86 using LLVM's JIT but it has been put back on the shelf so we can focus on the rest of the port and getting native compilers available. Of course, I suspect when you say "older", you mean VAX/VMS images?)
Simon Clubley
2020-12-09 18:24:48 UTC
BTW, seeing VAX/VMS mentioned reminded me: how are you doing with
the image translator so that images from older architectures can
run on x86-64 ?
I think the last thing Clair said was that we did an early prototype for Alpha to x86 using LLVM's JIT but it has been put back on the shelf so we can focus on the rest of the port and getting native compilers available. Of course, I suspect when you say "older", you mean VAX/VMS images?)
Actually, I was thinking about Alpha (as in older than Itanium).

I'm not sure if you plan to offer direct support for VAX images this
time around.

2020-12-09 13:28:54 UTC
[...]
Good to see you guys still have a sense of humour after all your
efforts.

Stay light, stay sharp, struggle builds character, right :-)...

Chris
Marc Van Dyck
2020-12-09 17:09:50 UTC
We now have ADVENTURE working on x86. Here's the output from the beginning
and the end. I skipped the steps in the middle. Find your own way out of
the cave.
[snip]

OK, nice. Now the next step : DEClander.
Marc Van Dyck
Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Indeed. Congratulations. Hein.
1tim....@gmail.com
2020-12-19 23:10:33 UTC
[...]
This may be the best porting benchmark, ever.