New hobby system
Add Reply
Sean O'Banion
2020-11-02 00:11:24 UTC
The Creek Fire in California has burned down the house where I kept my hobby systems (MV2000, AS800, RX2620), so I'm wondering if I should recollect similar systems, or wait for the version 9.2 X86 release. The only special of these, I guess, is the VM2000 where I had real PAKS, and it was slow enough I thought I might teach myself FPGA design by plugin into it. The MV2000 Technical Manual was stored elsewhere...
Arne Vajhøj
2020-11-02 00:28:06 UTC
Post by Sean O'Banion
The Creek Fire in California has burned down the house where I kept
my hobby systems (MV2000, AS800, RX2620), so I'm wondering if I
should recollect similar systems, or wait for the version 9.2 X86
release. The only special of these, I guess, is the VM2000 where I
had real PAKS, and it was slow enough I thought I might teach myself
FPGA design by plugin into it. The MV2000 Technical Manual was stored
elsewhere...
VAX seems like a dead end for VMS hobbyists.

You can get community (hobbyist) license for Alpha or Itanium now.

You can also wait for 9.2 and go x86-64, but it will take a bit
of time.

Your decision.

2020-11-02 05:16:35 UTC
Post by Sean O'Banion
The Creek Fire in California has burned down the house where I kept my hobby systems (MV2000, AS800, RX2620), so I'm wondering if I should recollect similar systems, or wait for the version 9.2 X86 release. The only special of these, I guess, is the VM2000 where I had real PAKS, and it was slow enough I thought I might teach myself FPGA design by plugin into it. The MV2000 Technical Manual was stored elsewhere...
I got a MicroVax 3100 Model 10 with a RZ26L disk sitting on the desk
here beside me. I was doing some clean-up, and a few other things. Not
a system I'd ever use again. It is yours for the cost of shipping from
PA, should you want it.

Sorry, can't have my AlphaServer 800. I'm using it.
seasoned_geek
2020-11-02 09:57:13 UTC
Sorry, can't have my AlphaServer 800. I'm using it.
If you are using it, then it really isn't "spare."