Keypad editing
2020-10-17 19:39:05 UTC
Not criticizing, just curious.

I know the VT52 and VT100 have very different keypads but
when they were assigning keys why did they not match position
layouts for the keys that were there?

For example:
on the VT52 FINDNEXT/FIND is down from the HELP Key
but on the VT100 it is to the right of the HELP Key.

Other keys are also different.

Anybody have any idea?

2020-10-17 23:53:38 UTC
Not criticizing, just curious.
I know the VT52 and VT100 have very different keypads but
when they were assigning keys why did they not match position
layouts for the keys that were there?
on the VT52 FINDNEXT/FIND is down from the HELP Key
but on the VT100 it is to the right of the HELP Key.
Other keys are also different.
Anybody have any idea?
bill
For some years DEC keyboard design stressed "ergonomic". That was
before cheap PC keyboards. Perhaps changes were to improve the keyboard.
2020-10-18 06:12:09 UTC
For some years DEC keyboard design stressed "ergonomic". That was
before cheap PC keyboards. Perhaps changes were to improve the keyboard.
Indeed. The LK-411 is much better in that respect than any other
keyboard I've tried.
seasoned_geek
2020-10-18 09:04:46 UTC
Not criticizing, just curious.
I know the VT52 and VT100 have very different keypads but
when they were assigning keys why did they not match position
layouts for the keys that were there?
on the VT52 FINDNEXT/FIND is down from the HELP Key
but on the VT100 it is to the right of the HELP Key.
Other keys are also different.
Anybody have any idea?
bill
I don't seem to remember that difference with the VT-52.

http://xahlee.info/kbd/vt52_terminal.html

The 78 had that mapping according to the above link. I never worked on a 78, just 52 on PDP 11/70 under RSTS/E. Long long long ago though. I think those worn out keys are why I tend to not like most keyboards until I have the keys about worn out.