Replacing SCSI disks in PS433AU for VMS
2020-10-01 07:42:44 UTC
I have a failed disk in this and am looking for replacements, but at a sensible price I can only get very old drives.

Just run across these:

http://www.peripheral-vision.com/products/solid-state-scsi-tape-and-disk-drive-replacements/scsi-hard-drive-replacements/scsicfdisk-solid-state-replacement-for-legacy-dec-disk-drives

No pricing information that I have found.

Has anybody any experience of these, or similar?

2020-10-01 11:12:50 UTC
I have a failed disk in this and am looking for replacements, but at a sensible price I can only get very old drives.
http://www.peripheral-vision.com/products/solid-state-scsi-tape-and-disk-drive-replacements/scsi-hard-drive-replacements/scsicfdisk-solid-state-replacement-for-legacy-dec-disk-drives
No pricing information that I have found.
Has anybody any experience of these, or similar?
Chris
I would recommend Nemonix drives as these have been in use for many years as actual replacement drives for all VMS systems.

See the link below:

https://www.nemonix.com/products_disk_list.html

2020-10-01 11:30:56 UTC
Post by abrsvc
I would recommend Nemonix drives as these have been in use for many years as actual replacement drives for all VMS systems.
https://www.nemonix.com/products_disk_list.html
Dan
Thanks, but a company that doesn't give any pricing detail is probably more than I can afford as a hobbyist!

My thoughts were that a couple of devices that allows me to use very cheap CF cards could be good, and be economical - backups would be easy - just remove the CF card and secure, then stick another in place. The IO would still be constrained by the SSI setup rather than the card, I would imagine.

Hence the question

2020-10-01 13:14:37 UTC
I think the company has answered my questions.
Each unit costs £325 plus shipping. so not an economical option

2020-10-01 13:54:29 UTC
I think the company has answered my questions.
Each unit costs £325 plus shipping. so not an economical option
Chris
If you are in the uk, can send a 73G drive for the cost of shipping.
Probably 80 pin server u320 drive, but just need an adapter at < $10.

For example:

If your drive is 68 pin scsi:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCSI-Computer-Parts-Electronic-Expansion-Board-Hard-Disk-Adapter-80-To-68-50-Pin/184389673031?hash=item2aee7b2047:g:jpgAAOSwz6xfKY20

Other varieties for 50 pin drives, but the PWS are 68 pin, fwir

Use this sort of thing all the time for old system restoration...

2020-10-01 14:03:03 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Chris Townley
I think the company has answered my questions.
Each unit costs £325 plus shipping. so not an economical option
Chris
If you are in the uk, can send a 73G drive for the cost of shipping.
Probably 80 pin server u320 drive, but just need an adapter at < $10.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCSI-Computer-Parts-Electronic-Expansion-Board-Hard-Disk-Adapter-80-To-68-50-Pin/184389673031?hash=item2aee7b2047:g:jpgAAOSwz6xfKY20
Other varieties for 50 pin drives, but the PWS are 68 pin, fwir
Use this sort of thing all the time for old system restoration...
Chris
Again thanks for the offer, but have it sorted locally. I also would be surprised if a u320 drive would work with the hardware!

2020-10-01 14:14:10 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Chris Townley
I think the company has answered my questions.
Each unit costs £325 plus shipping. so not an economical option
Chris
If you are in the uk, can send a 73G drive for the cost of shipping.
Probably 80 pin server u320 drive, but just need an adapter at< $10.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCSI-Computer-Parts-Electronic-Expansion-Board-Hard-Disk-Adapter-80-To-68-50-Pin/184389673031?hash=item2aee7b2047:g:jpgAAOSwz6xfKY20
Other varieties for 50 pin drives, but the PWS are 68 pin, fwir
Use this sort of thing all the time for old system restoration...
Chris
Again thanks for the offer, but have it sorted locally. I also would be surprised if a u320 drive would work with the hardware!
Chris
Should be no problem, as the drives negotiate and are backwards
compatable in terms of interface. Graceful fallback and set speed
to the lowest speed device on the bus.

Currently retrofitting 2.5" u320 scsi drives to to old Sparcstation
2 (1990), with no issues. Ex IBM blade servers...

Chris
j***@yahoo.co.uk
2020-10-01 18:14:59 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Chris Townley
I think the company has answered my questions.
Each unit costs £325 plus shipping. so not an economical option
Chris
If you are in the uk, can send a 73G drive for the cost of shipping.
Probably 80 pin server u320 drive, but just need an adapter at < $10.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCSI-Computer-Parts-Electronic-Expansion-Board-Hard-Disk-Adapter-80-To-68-50-Pin/184389673031?hash=item2aee7b2047:g:jpgAAOSwz6xfKY20
Other varieties for 50 pin drives, but the PWS are 68 pin, fwir
Use this sort of thing all the time for old system restoration...
Chris
Again thanks for the offer, but have it sorted locally. I also would be surprised if a u320 drive would work with the hardware!
Chris
Bear in mind that what's usable as an SRM-bootable VMS system disk is
likely a subset of what's usable as a data disk in the same box.
Apologies if you already knew that.
Chris Townley
2020-10-02 15:45:01 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.co.uk
Chris
Bear in mind that what's usable as an SRM-bootable VMS system disk is
likely a subset of what's usable as a data disk in the same box.
Apologies if you already knew that.
Interesting point. Any ideas what restrictions for a VMS boot disk?

CHris
John H. Reinhardt
2020-10-02 15:51:17 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.co.uk
Chris
Bear in mind that what's usable as an SRM-bootable VMS system disk is
likely a subset of what's usable as a data disk in the same box.
Apologies if you already knew that.
Interesting point. Any ideas what restrictions for a VMS boot disk?
CHris
I had a PWS433AU at one time. Being SCSI, being SRM-bootable is a lot less dependent on the disk than the controller. Not like the old MFM and EDSI disks. I don't recall if the PWS433 had an on board SCSI controller. But any of the typical SCSI cards from that era will work and pretty much any SCSI drive is bootable. The PWS433 doesn't have the limitation that certain MicroVAX 3100's had on boot drive size.
John H. Reinhardt
Chris Townley
2020-10-02 16:38:26 UTC
Post by John H. Reinhardt
Post by Chris Townley
Post by j***@yahoo.co.uk
Chris
Bear in mind that what's usable as an SRM-bootable VMS system disk is
likely a subset of what's usable as a data disk in the same box.
Apologies if you already knew that.
Interesting point. Any ideas what restrictions for a VMS boot disk?
CHris
I had a PWS433AU at one time. Being SCSI, being SRM-bootable is a lot less dependent on the disk than the controller. Not like the old MFM and EDSI disks. I don't recall if the PWS433 had an on board SCSI controller. But any of the typical SCSI cards from that era will work and pretty much any SCSI drive is bootable. The PWS433 doesn't have the limitation that certain MicroVAX 3100's had on boot drive size.
--
John H. Reinhardt
Thanks
Post by John H. Reinhardt
SCSI adapter: 32-bit ultra-wide SCSI (UW-SCSI)
adapter that supports 50-pin narrow, 68-pin wide, and 68-
pin ultra-wide SCSI devices.
I understand this is a Qlogic 1020A Fast SCSI adapter

I also have another wide controller for a BA356 externally, but I get too many errors on that for a boot disk. I think the cable is too long

Chris
j***@yahoo.co.uk
2020-10-02 17:04:00 UTC
Post by John H. Reinhardt
Post by John H. Reinhardt
SCSI adapter: 32-bit ultra-wide SCSI (UW-SCSI)
adapter that supports 50-pin narrow, 68-pin wide, and 68-
pin ultra-wide SCSI devices.
I understand this is a Qlogic 1020A Fast SCSI adapter
I also have another wide controller for a BA356 externally, but I get too many errors on that for a boot disk. I think the cable is too long
Chris
Does your spec match your particular system? From memory, there were
at least two generations of PWS433au systems. Wikipedia has some
words on the subject;

Traditionally I'd suggest finding a QuickSpec for the model but
there isn't an obvious one at the moment.

There is a PWS User Information document at
https://web-docs.gsi.de/~kraemer/COLLECTION/DEC/alunxuib.pdf
which may be helpful but doesn't have much to say on this particular
subject.

Basically if you want it to boot VMS from a SCSI drive, SRM console
(in ROM) needs to know about the SCSI adapter. This typically led to
Qlogic 1020 or 1040 adapters, either add-in or built-in. Beyond that,
the VMS Software Product Description for your chosen VMS version
might shed some light on what adapters and drives were supported.
What *works* (at least in terms of drives) would often be a bit more
generous, so long as you don't get too ambitious.

This SCSI magick was always a bit of a maze to me, and it's been a
long time.

Best of luck.
Chris Townley
2020-10-02 18:23:49 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.co.uk
[...]
I have been running various versions of VMS on this for 17 years! So there is any problem there. I was responding to a suggestion that some devices would not boot, but would work as a data drive

2020-10-01 11:15:41 UTC
I have a failed disk in this and am looking for replacements, but at a sensible price I can only get very old drives.
http://www.peripheral-vision.com/products/solid-state-scsi-tape-and-disk-drive-replacements/scsi-hard-drive-replacements/scsicfdisk-solid-state-replacement-for-legacy-dec-disk-drives
No pricing information that I have found.
Has anybody any experience of these, or similar?
Chris
Depending on the os, a genuine dec drive is not essential. Not sure
about vms, but on digital unix, just about any scsi drive can be
formatted and used. You can also get interface adapters that conveert
between 50, 68 and 80 pin drives at minimum cost. No need to spend a
fortune...

2020-10-01 13:18:23 UTC
I have a failed disk in this and am looking for replacements, but at a sensible price I can only get very old drives.
http://www.peripheral-vision.com/products/solid-state-scsi-tape-and-disk-drive-replacements/scsi-hard-drive-replacements/scsicfdisk-solid-state-replacement-for-legacy-dec-disk-drives
No pricing information that I have found.
Has anybody any experience of these, or similar?
Chris
Don't know about that question.

What type of drive do you need? 50 pin, 68 pin, 80 pin?

What is your location?
2020-10-01 13:57:32 UTC
I have a failed disk in this and am looking for replacements, but at a sensible price I can only get very old drives.
http://www.peripheral-vision.com/products/solid-state-scsi-tape-and-disk-drive-replacements/scsi-hard-drive-replacements/scsicfdisk-solid-state-replacement-for-legacy-dec-disk-drives
No pricing information that I have found.
Has anybody any experience of these, or similar?
Chris
Don't know about that question.
What type of drive do you need? 50 pin, 68 pin, 80 pin?
What is your location?
I am in the UK, and have a couple lined up locally thanks

Really, I was interested in the idea of solid state that was also removable, with inexpensive media

2020-10-01 22:15:22 UTC
I have a failed disk in this and am looking for replacements, but at a sensible price I can only get very old drives.
http://www.peripheral-vision.com/products/solid-state-scsi-tape-and-disk-drive-replacements/scsi-hard-drive-replacements/scsicfdisk-solid-state-replacement-for-legacy-dec-disk-drives
No pricing information that I have found.
Has anybody any experience of these, or similar?
Chris
Don't know about that question.
What type of drive do you need? 50 pin, 68 pin, 80 pin?
What is your location?
I am in the UK, and have a couple lined up locally thanks
Really, I was interested in the idea of solid state that was also removable, with inexpensive media
Chris
I'm also interested in that, but, the Adata device that performed that
task is no longer in production, and a few that have one are asking
beyond ridiculous prices.
dthi...@gmail.com
2020-10-01 23:17:06 UTC
I got rid of my loud and slow SCSI disks and use a SCSI2SD v6 in my PWS533AU, which works well with OpenVMS 8.2.

I put in a 16GB SD card, and formatted it into 4 separate 4GB drives.

SCSI2SD v5 works as well, but I prefer the larger v6 form-factor board, which I can access from the front external drive bays.

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD
https://store.inertialcomputing.com/SCSI2SD-s/100.htm

David
Chris
2020-10-01 23:24:47 UTC
I have a failed disk in this and am looking for replacements, but at a sensible price I can only get very old drives.
http://www.peripheral-vision.com/products/solid-state-scsi-tape-and-disk-drive-replacements/scsi-hard-drive-replacements/scsicfdisk-solid-state-replacement-for-legacy-dec-disk-drives
No pricing information that I have found.
Has anybody any experience of these, or similar?
Chris
Don't know about that question.
What type of drive do you need? 50 pin, 68 pin, 80 pin?
What is your location?
I am in the UK, and have a couple lined up locally thanks
Really, I was interested in the idea of solid state that was also removable, with inexpensive media
Chris
Just remember that most removable media is consumer electronics,
not professional quality and has a limited number of write cycles.
You may be lucky, but I would never use it for any any critical date,
nor usb memory sticks or usb based storage pf any type. Ok for
quick hacks or home use, but they should be considered expandable...

2020-10-02 00:00:58 UTC
Post by Chris
[...]
Food for thought indeed!

2020-10-06 05:13:54 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Chris Townley
I am in the UK, and have a couple lined up locally thanks
Really, I was interested in the idea of solid state that was also
removable, with inexpensive media
Chris
Just remember that most removable media is consumer electronics,
not professional quality and has a limited number of write cycles.
You may be lucky, but I would never use it for any any critical date,
nor usb memory sticks or usb based storage pf any type. Ok for
quick hacks or home use, but they should be considered expandable...
Ok, I decided I was getting lazy, so I purchased one of the SCSI2SD
devices. V6 rev 2020a along with a 16 GB SanDisk card.

Got the device, no documentation. Ok, the fun begins.

First test is in a VAXstation 4000 Model 90. I assumed there would be a
SCSI ID issue, and there was. So I changed the RZ26 ID to 1, and both
devices showed up in SHOW DEVICE at the >>> prompt. What is interesting
is the device showed up as 3.04 GB. I'm assuming the VAXstation console
had a problem with 16 GB.

I found some info, seems there is a configuration utility for WEENDOZE
(I guess) to set SCSI ID and some other things. I've not yet found info
on how to connect the device to a WEENDOZE system.

I booted the RZ26, VMS V7.2 booted. INITed the SCSI2SD, mounted it, and
it showed up with a bit over 31 million blocks, so that's 16 GB if I can
still do some math.

I then did an IMAGE backup from the RZ26 to the SCSI2SD, worked fine,
then booted the SCSI2SD device. It's running now, no apparent problems.

As mentioned above by Chris, perhaps the device will not be reliable
enough for anything serious, but for casual use, why not? If I do an
IMAGE BACKUP to elsewhere every night, I'd guess a restore to a new SD
card would be enough security for the storage. I don't know anything
about the SD cards. I'm hoping reading is not an issue. Won't be so
much writing.

Wondering if anyone has any info on the SD cards to make a guess how
much writing they will take before they die?

So, perhaps a way forward for home/casual/hobbyist use of old VAXs?

My next test will be on an AlphaStation 200 system, and after that an
EV6 system. I'll report here what I find.
John H. Reinhardt
2020-10-06 06:46:13 UTC
Documentation is scarce, but what's available is here: <http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD>
First test is in a VAXstation 4000 Model 90.  I assumed there would be a SCSI ID issue, and there was.  So I changed the RZ26 ID to 1, and both devices showed up in SHOW DEVICE at the >>> prompt.  What is interesting is the device showed up as 3.04 GB.  I'm assuming the VAXstation console had a problem with 16 GB.
If you haven't run the configuration utility there is some default, I don't remember what it is. I don't believe it auto sizes and it may be around 4GB.
I found some info, seems there is a configuration utility for WEENDOZE (I guess) to set SCSI ID and some other things.  I've not yet found info on how to connect the device to a WEENDOZE system.
Downloads for firmware updates and configuration utilities are here: <http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd-v6/latest/>

There are configuration utilities for Windows, Mac and Linux. I've only used the Mac utilities.
I booted the RZ26, VMS V7.2 booted.  INITed the SCSI2SD, mounted it, and it showed up with a bit over 31 million blocks, so that's 16 GB if I can still do some math.
I then did an IMAGE backup from the RZ26 to the SCSI2SD, worked fine, then booted the SCSI2SD device.  It's running now, no apparent problems.
I've got a V5 in a MicroVAX 3100 M95 and a V6 in each of two AlphaServer DS10's so far no problems. I have one more V5 for use in my PDP-11 but I'm still putting that system together.
As mentioned above by Chris, perhaps the device will not be reliable enough for anything serious, but for casual use, why not?  If I do an IMAGE BACKUP to elsewhere every night, I'd guess a restore to a new SD card would be enough security for the storage.  I don't know anything about the SD cards.  I'm hoping reading is not an issue.  Won't be so much writing.
Reliability will depend on what SD card you get. Buy the cheap knock offs and they may die without warning. I've been using the SanDisk "industrial" or "High Endurance" versions designed for security systems or dashboard cams. The industrial have lower capacities because they use more cells for each bit which gives them the higher chance of lasting. The High Endurance have a wear leveling algorithm to spread the writes over different parts of the memory array. My theory with them is that buy one that's larger than what you want and only use part of it allowing the wear leaving to spread writes over the whole memory array, writing fewer times to any one place. So if you want a 16GB disk ( or total combination of disks if you make the SCSI2SD have more than one partition) then buy a 32GB or even 64GB card using only 16GB. Even a 64GB card is only $15 so it's not going to break the bank. This is theory so I'll let you know in a year or so how it works out in my DS10's and MicroVAX.

SanDisk Industial MLC 16GB - <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CV344WJ>
SanDisk "High Endurance" 64GB - <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P3D6Y5B>
Wondering if anyone has any info on the SD cards to make a guess how much writing they will take before they die?
So, perhaps a way forward for home/casual/hobbyist use of old VAXs?
Or Alphas or PDPs
My next test will be on an AlphaStation 200 system, and after that an EV6 system.  I'll report here what I find.
Here is the "show device" from the SRM console on one of my DS10's. I have a 64GB card broken up into two 24GB drives and 5 800MB CD sized drives. With the configuration utility you can set several text fields that can help identify things. I set one to SCSI2SD6 for my V6 card, the size of the partition and the firmware version.
show dev
dka100.1.0.17.0 DKA100 FUJITSU MAP3735NC 5608
dka200.2.0.17.0 DKA200 FUJITSU MAP3735NC 5608
dkb0.0.0.117.0 DKB0 SCSI2SD6 24GB 631
dkb100.1.0.117.0 DKB100 SCSI2SD6 24GB 631
dkb200.2.0.117.0 DKB200 SCSI2SD6 800MB 631
dkb300.3.0.117.0 DKB300 SCSI2SD6 800MB 631
dkb400.4.0.117.0 DKB400 SCSI2SD6 800MB 631
dkb500.5.0.117.0 DKB500 SCSI2SD6 800MB 631
dkb600.6.0.117.0 DKB600 SCSI2SD6 800MB 631
dqa0.0.0.13.0 DQA0 PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A 1.11
dva0.0.0.0.0 DVA0
ega0.0.0.16.0 EGA0 00-10-18-0C-82-E4
egb0.0.0.116.0 EGB0 00-10-18-0C-82-E5
ewa0.0.0.9.0 EWA0 00-10-64-30-19-84
ewb0.0.0.11.0 EWB0 00-10-64-30-19-85
pga0.0.0.3004.0 PGA0 WWN 1000-0000-c943-b66a
pgb0.0.0.3005.0 PGB0 WWN 1000-0000-c943-b66b
pka0.7.0.17.0 PKA0 SCSI Bus ID 7
pkb0.7.0.117.0 PKB0
John H. Reinhardt
2020-10-06 07:02:01 UTC
Post by John H. Reinhardt
[...]
Sorry, I missed that. There is a Micro-B USB port on the SCSI2SD card. You plug a USB cable from whatever system you're running the configuration utility on (see below) into that port and the utility then programs the card. It also allows your PC/Mac/Linux computer to access the SD card via the USB port. It's slow but you can even copy data to any given "disk" on the SCSI2SD memory card via the USB port.
Post by John H. Reinhardt
[...]
pkb0.7.0.117.0             PKB0                  SCSI Bus ID 7
This article is for Amiga, but a lot of the ideas are the same if you're wondering how to do things. <https://grimore.org/hardware/amiga/using_scsi2sd_drives>

Here is an article talking about ways to set up partitions on the SD card. On my Mac I've used the fdisk utility to create the partitions so the SD card looks like a hard drive with 7 partitions of the desired sizes. That way when I mount it each partition on the card shows up as a separate disk on my Mac and I can dd direct to that partition without worrying about telling dd to skip records to get to partitions after the first one.

<http://llamamusic.com/s50s550/microSD_Partiti
Dave Froble
2020-10-06 14:10:03 UTC
Post by John H. Reinhardt
Post by Dave Froble
Post by John H. Reinhardt
[...]
<http://llamamusic.com/s50s550/microSD_Partitioning.html>
Thank you John. Looks like I can go back to being lazy, rather than
continue exploring the SCSI2SD capabilities.

The first time I booted VMS on the SCSI2SD it seemed that a more than
usual amount of time was required. I'm guessing that there was not a
proper DISMOUNT and VMS was responding to that. I also figured that 16
GB might take some time for the disk rebuild, I forget what VMS calls it.

I've considered setting up multiple smaller drives on the card, but then
wonder whether I'd be using just a small part of the card, and wear
leveling would not be helpful. A 2 GB card would be overkill for the
current test system, and most likely for any of my other systems. I
don't need increased storage, I need something that works, because the
old disk drives have got to fail, sooner or later.

A question, the SCSI2SD device has a 50 pin SCSI connector. Is that an
issue on your DS10? I'd figure most "newer" (can I say that?) Al[phas
used wide SCSI with 68 pins.

I'm going to get a couple of the recommended industrial/high endurance
cards. The card that came with the device was $4-$5, the cost of
additional cards is not an issue.

I am curious. Assuming that DS10 is a home/hobby system, what data do
you put on it to require all that storage capability?
John H. Reinhardt
2020-10-06 15:02:55 UTC
Post by Dave Froble
Post by John H. Reinhardt
[...]
You might also connect up the scsi2sd-util6 program and check the "SCSI Speed Limit". It may be set to one of the slower speeds. Mine is set to "No limit (safe)" but on my MicroVAX it's set to "Async, 5MB/s" since it has a much slower SCSI-1 HBA. Unfortunately, due to the internal processing involved even with the solid state memory as disk, the SCSI2SD is not a real speed demon.
I've considered setting up multiple smaller drives on the card, but then wonder whether I'd be using just a small part of the card, and wear leveling would not be helpful.  A 2 GB card would be overkill for the current test system, and most likely for any of my other systems.  I don't need increased storage, I need something that works, because the old disk drives have got to fail, sooner or later.
The wear leveling will spread writes over the whole card, not just the portion you set up in the SCSI2SD configuration. So if you create one drive of 2GB and have a 16GB card, then over time the writes will be spread out over the whole 16GB.
A question, the SCSI2SD device has a 50 pin SCSI connector.  Is that an issue on your DS10?  I'd figure most "newer" (can I say that?) Al[phas used wide SCSI with 68 pins.
For a while I ran it off the 50-pin port on a KZPBA-CX (QLogic 1040) card, but since I still have LVD SCSI drives as the boot drives in order to save PCI space I switched to a KZPEA-DB (Adaptec 29160). One U160 bus runs the SCSI disks and the other I have going to the SCSI2SD with a 68-pin to 50-pin adapter plugged into it
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCSI-3-HPDB68-Female-to-IDC50-Female-Internal-Adapter/270737996823> So far no problems. The KZPEA does have a 50-pin connection but threading a high-density 68-condoctor SCSI cable through the DS10 chassis was actually easier than the stiffer 50-connductor cable.
I'm going to get a couple of the recommended industrial/high endurance cards.  The card that came with the device was $4-$5, the cost of additional cards is not an issue.
I am curious.  Assuming that DS10 is a home/hobby system, what data do you put on it to require all that storage capability?
Yes, it's a Hobbyist system. At the moment the capacity is not being used. I'm experimenting to see if my theory about wear leveling is correct. At some point the SCSI LVD drives will fail and if the SD cards prove satisfactory, then I'll switch the boot drive to the SCSI2SD drives.

I've also been playing with using the SD card to transfer files. If I have a large batch then it's faster than networking at even 100M. Although I've also been playing with the Compaq NC7771 gigabit card and flashing the PCI info so OpenVMS thinks its a DEGXA card. That's the ega/egb devices in the lising above.

This system is also the one I've been experimenting with SATA SSD and the P410 Smart Array card. Currently I have 2 256GB SSD drives mirrored on the P410 and then partitioned into two 64GB drives and one 104GB drive for testing. There are some inconvenient aspects but it's okay for a Hobbyist system. So at some point in the future it will probably run on the SCSI2SD as boot disks and the SSD as data disks.
John H. Reinhardt
John H. Reinhardt
2020-10-06 15:21:26 UTC
For a while I ran it off the 50-pin port on a KZPBA-CX (QLogic 1040) card, but since I still have LVD SCSI drives as the boot drives in order to save PCI space I switched to a KZPEA-DB (Adaptec 29160).  One U160 bus runs the SCSI disks and the other I have going to the SCSI2SD with a 68-pin to 50-pin adapter plugged into it
<https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCSI-3-HPDB68-Female-to-IDC50-Female-Internal-Adapter/270737996823>  So far no problems.  The KZPEA does have a 50-pin connection but threading a high-density 68-condoctor SCSI cable through the DS10 chassis was actually easier than the stiffer 50-connductor cable.
I typoed that Adaptec card, it's a 39160
John H. Reinhardt
David Wade
2020-10-02 08:22:57 UTC
I have a failed disk in this and am looking for replacements, but at a sensible price I can only get very old drives.
http://www.peripheral-vision.com/products/solid-state-scsi-tape-and-disk-drive-replacements/scsi-hard-drive-replacements/scsicfdisk-solid-state-replacement-for-legacy-dec-disk-drives
No pricing information that I have found.
Has anybody any experience of these, or similar?
Chris
Don't know about that question.
What type of drive do you need? 50 pin, 68 pin, 80 pin?
What is your location?
I am in the UK, and have a couple lined up locally thanks
Really, I was interested in the idea of solid state that was also removable, with inexpensive media
Chris
Chris,

Well there is the SCSI2SD board.

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD

There are several versions and sometimes they can be bought in the UK from:-

https://amigakit.amiga.store/product_info.php?products_id=1264

I have a couple. An older one in an IBM P390 and a newer one in a
VaxStation. They can be temperamental in VAX...

Dave
Dennis Boone
2020-10-01 20:03:35 UTC
I have a failed disk in this and am looking for replacements, but at a
sensible price I can only get very old drives.
Folks in the "hobbyist" class with this sort of problem might
want to look at the SCSI2SD devices:

http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php/SCSI2SD

De
David Turner
2020-10-03 21:27:47 UTC
We have brand new 300GB 15K U320 disks
Attach a 80 in to 68 pin converter

See here:

https://www.islandco.com/IC-300GB-15K-80-68-hp-hpe-scsi-300gb-15k-u320-sca-hard-drive?search=300GB
2020-10-04 16:06:28 UTC
Post by David Turner
We have brand new 300GB 15K U320 disks
Attach a 80 in to 68 pin converter
https://www.islandco.com/IC-300GB-15K-80-68-hp-hpe-scsi-300gb-15k-u320-sca-hard-drive?search=300GB
Thanks David, I will bear that in mind

BTW the PSW is still going well after 17 years!