Building a VAXcluster with SIMH and real hardware
Antonio Carlini
2020-08-31 17:14:09 UTC
I'm trying to build a VMS cluster using SIMH as the disk server and a VAXstation 4000-60 as a satellite. The VS4060 has a disk and I can boot VMS on that and then SET HOST to/from the SIMH node, so there's no network connectivity issue.

On the SIMH node I did the following:
- installed VMS V7.2
- I picked Y for all the options except the MGMT Station stuff
- I picked Phase IV
- Completed the install
- Installed the Hobbyist PAKs (all of them)
- @NETCONFIG to set up the DECnet Phase IV stuff
- Installed UCX V4.1
- Added STARTNET and UCX$STARTUP to SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM

At this point I tested network connectivity and all is fine.

Now I used @CLUSTER_CONFIG to ADD this node (i.e. to form a new cluster).
Then I used @CLUSTER_CONFIG again to add the VS4060 as a satellite.

Now I "B ESA0" at the VS4060 console and on the SIMH node I see:

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 25-AUG-2020 17:05:32.18 %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user DECNET on CLU071
DECnet event 0.3, automatic line service
From node 1.51 (CLU071), 25-AUG-2020 17:05:32.18
Circuit QNA-0, Load, Requested, Node = 1.52 (VS4060)
File = DISK$OPENVMS071:<SYS10.>, Operating system
Ethernet address = 08-00-2B-2E-19-6C

which looks good but the satellite does this:

%VAXcluster, system loaded from VAX072 (AA-00-04-00-33-04)

%VAXcluster, unable to locate BOOT file
83 BOOT SYS

-ESA0

and repeats that indefinitely.

The [SYS10.] root looks OK and does seem to have the correct links but something is obviously not quite right.

I did this a few weeks ago using V7.1 and the behaviour was the same. V7.2 is the latest I have handy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Antonio

Antonio Carlini
Volker Halle
2020-08-31 17:44:08 UTC
Antonio,

DISK$OPENVMS071:<SYS10.> - did you try square brackets ?

Volker.
Antonio Carlini
2020-08-31 19:35:23 UTC
Post by Volker Halle
Antonio,
DISK$OPENVMS071:<SYS10.> - did you try square brackets ?
Volker.
The angle brackets are VMS, not me. And they've been legal syntax since ... well, probably longer than forever.

Antonio
Chris Scheers
2020-08-31 18:00:26 UTC
Post by Antonio Carlini
I'm trying to build a VMS cluster using SIMH as the disk server and a VAXstation 4000-60 as a satellite. The VS4060 has a disk and I can boot VMS on that and then SET HOST to/from the SIMH node, so there's no network connectivity issue.
- installed VMS V7.2
- I picked Y for all the options except the MGMT Station stuff
- I picked Phase IV
- Completed the install
- Installed the Hobbyist PAKs (all of them)
- Installed UCX V4.1
- Added STARTNET and UCX$STARTUP to SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM
At this point I tested network connectivity and all is fine.
%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 25-AUG-2020 17:05:32.18 %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user DECNET on CLU071
DECnet event 0.3, automatic line service
From node 1.51 (CLU071), 25-AUG-2020 17:05:32.18
Circuit QNA-0, Load, Requested, Node = 1.52 (VS4060)
File = DISK$OPENVMS071:<SYS10.>, Operating system
Ethernet address = 08-00-2B-2E-19-6C
%VAXcluster, system loaded from VAX072 (AA-00-04-00-33-04)
%VAXcluster, unable to locate BOOT file
83 BOOT SYS
-ESA0
and repeats that indefinitely.
The [SYS10.] root looks OK and does seem to have the correct links but something is obviously not quite right.
I did this a few weeks ago using V7.1 and the behaviour was the same. V7.2 is the latest I have handy.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Antonio
Antonio Carlini
I have used a Windows 10 laptop with SIMH as a boot node many times. I
have done this with a VS4000-90. (Usually I am doing this to copy the
data off some VAX disks.)

I usually use V7.3, but I wouldn't expect the VMS version to be an issue.

The usual issue is networking.

For a VS4000-60, your network connector is either AUI or thinwire. How
are you connecting this to the SIMH instance?

If you are using AUI, you may need to look for a switch setting on the
transceiver to turn heart beat on.

I've been using a DEChub 90T-16 as a thinwire to twisted pair converter.

What is the host configuration for SIMH?

If Windows, you may need to make sure that any of the Ethernet adapter's
TOE options are turned off.

In a recent Windows environment, you may need to turn off ECN. I don't
know if this causes problems for SIMH, but I have seen problems with
other emulators.

Good luck!
Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet: ***@applied-synergy.com
Fax: 817-237-3074
Antonio Carlini
2020-08-31 19:32:48 UTC
Post by Chris Scheers
I have used a Windows 10 laptop with SIMH as a boot node many times. I
have done this with a VS4000-90. (Usually I am doing this to copy the
data off some VAX disks.)
I usually use V7.3, but I wouldn't expect the VMS version to be an issue.
The usual issue is networking.
For a VS4000-60, your network connector is either AUI or thinwire. How
are you connecting this to the SIMH instance?
A AUI with a DETPM and then Cat-5 to a modern switch. The laptop is also connected to this same switch. When I had a connetion to the house network going before, the VS4060 could quite happily "UCX PING ip-address" and see a response from that ip-address.
Post by Chris Scheers
If Windows, you may need to make sure that any of the Ethernet adapter's
TOE options are turned off.
In a recent Windows environment, you may need to turn off ECN. I don't
know if this causes problems for SIMH, but I have seen problems with
other emulators.
I'll poke around a bit on Windows. If all else fails, I'll dig out a Raspberry Pi 4 and try that, but it would limit the amount of disk space I have available unless I get particularly creative with NFS mounts or USB SATA docking stations.

Thanks

Antonio
Dave Froble
2020-08-31 21:18:29 UTC
Post by Antonio Carlini
I'm trying to build a VMS cluster using SIMH as the disk server and a VAXstation 4000-60 as a satellite. The VS4060 has a disk and I can boot VMS on that and then SET HOST to/from the SIMH node, so there's no network connectivity issue.
- installed VMS V7.2
- I picked Y for all the options except the MGMT Station stuff
- I picked Phase IV
- Completed the install
- Installed the Hobbyist PAKs (all of them)
- Installed UCX V4.1
If I remember correctly, TCP/IP V5 was available on VMS V5.0. But, I
could be mixed up, as usual.
Jeremy Begg
2020-09-01 01:30:41 UTC
Hi Antonio,

The OPCOM message on your boot server looks OK but I wonder if there's a
node naming issue.

The OPCOM message is from "DECNET on CLU071" but the satellite message
says "system loaded from VAX072".

Where is the satellite getting the name "VAX072" from? Can it be
changed to "CLU071"?

Regards,

Jeremy Begg
Post by Antonio Carlini
I'm trying to build a VMS cluster using SIMH as the disk server and a VAXstation 4000-60 as a satellite. The VS4060 has a disk and I can boot VMS on that and then SET HOST to/from the SIMH node, so there's no network connectivity issue.
- installed VMS V7.2
- I picked Y for all the options except the MGMT Station stuff
- I picked Phase IV
- Completed the install
- Installed the Hobbyist PAKs (all of them)
- Installed UCX V4.1
- Added STARTNET and UCX$STARTUP to SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM
At this point I tested network connectivity and all is fine.
%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 25-AUG-2020 17:05:32.18 %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user DECNET on CLU071
DECnet event 0.3, automatic line service
From node 1.51 (CLU071), 25-AUG-2020 17:05:32.18
Antonio Carlini
Dave Froble
2020-09-01 02:03:52 UTC
Post by Jeremy Begg
Hi Antonio,
The OPCOM message on your boot server looks OK but I wonder if there's a
node naming issue.
The OPCOM message is from "DECNET on CLU071" but the satellite message
says "system loaded from VAX072".
Where is the satellite getting the name "VAX072" from? Can it be
changed to "CLU071"?
Perhaps that is the name of the system disk, from which the (I guess)
MOP load/boot was performed/attempted?

Don't know, I don't do clusters.
Antonio Carlini
2020-09-01 07:18:25 UTC
Post by Jeremy Begg
Hi Antonio,
The OPCOM message on your boot server looks OK but I wonder if there's a
node naming issue.
The OPCOM message is from "DECNET on CLU071" but the satellite message
says "system loaded from VAX072".
Where is the satellite getting the name "VAX072" from? Can it be
changed to "CLU071"?
Regards,
Jeremy Begg
Sorry, that's my fault. I copied the OPCOM message electronically when I tried this all in the house and could easily get to the message. Then last night I repeated the boot in the garage, photographed the VT420 screen and hand copied the boot failure message.

Antonio
Volker Halle
2020-09-02 15:41:01 UTC
On a successful satellite boot, the OPCOM messages should say:

From node 1.1 (NMVAX1), 31-MAR-2014 14:29:50.81
Circuit QNA-0, Load, Successful, Node = 1.3 (xxxxxx)
File = DISK$xxxxxx_1025:<SYS10.>, Operating system

The OpenVMS Messages and Recovery procedures reference manual says this:

BADOPEN, unable to locate BOOT file

Facility: VAXCLUSTER, VAXcluster and VMScluster Facilities

Explanation: SYSBOOT.EXE is not found or is not accessible in the specified
satellite system root directory.
User Action: Check the satellite system root for the file and verify that it
has the proper protection.

Is there a valid file entry for SYSBOOT.EXE in the satellite system root DISK$OPENVMS071:<SYS10.SYSEXE>

Volker.
Antonio Carlini
2020-09-02 18:29:18 UTC
Post by Volker Halle
BADOPEN, unable to locate BOOT file
Facility: VAXCLUSTER, VAXcluster and VMScluster Facilities
Explanation: SYSBOOT.EXE is not found or is not accessible in the specified
satellite system root directory.
User Action: Check the satellite system root for the file and verify that it
has the proper protection.
Is there a valid file entry for SYSBOOT.EXE in the satellite system root DISK$OPENVMS071:<SYS10.SYSEXE>
All looks OK to me. I've not touched it, CLUSTER_CONFIG.COM did it all!

Antonio

$ dir disk$openvms072:[SYS13.SYSEXE]/PROT

Directory DISK$OPENVMS072:[SYS13.SYSEXE]

INSTALL_PAGE.COM;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
MODPARAMS.DAT;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
PAGEFILE.SYS;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
STARTUP1.COM;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
SWAPFILE.SYS;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
VAXVMSSYS.PAR;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)

Total of 6 files.
$ dir disk$openvms072:[000000] /PROT

Directory DISK$OPENVMS072:[000000]

000000.DIR;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,E)
BACKUP.SYS;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
BADBLK.SYS;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
BADLOG.SYS;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
BITMAP.SYS;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
CONTIN.SYS;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
CORIMG.SYS;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
INDEXF.SYS;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
SECURITY.SYS;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)
SYS0.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYS13.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSEXE.DIR;1 (R,R,,)
UCX$REXEC.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,E)
UCX$RSH.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,E)
VMS$COMMON.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
VOLSET.SYS;1 (RWED,RWED,RE,)

Total of 16 files.
$ dir disk$openvms072:[SYS13] /PROT

Directory DISK$OPENVMS072:[SYS13]

MOM$SYSTEM.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYS$I18N.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYS$LDR.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYS$STARTUP.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSCBI.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSCOMMON.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSERR.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSEXE.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSHLP.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSLIB.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSMAINT.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSMGR.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSMSG.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSTEST.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
SYSUPD.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)
TNT.DIR;1 (RWE,RWE,RE,RE)

Total of 16 files.
Oswald Knoppers
The opcom message is about sys10 not sys13.
Antonio Carlini
2020-09-02 19:25:37 UTC
Post by Oswald Knoppers
The opcom message is about sys10 not sys13.
Yes. I'm sorry. I did it all with V7.1 last week and saved the message. Then I re-did the install from scratch this week with V7.2 and it has the same issue. That's where tonight's info is from (as I don't need to fail to boot to just list some data on the SIMH install). I'm sorry for the confusion ... I can't re-gather all the data again until tomorrow as my network switch has been temporarily re-purposed!

Antonio
Oswald Knoppers
2020-09-02 19:29:31 UTC
So you are sure the mop client points to sys13 in your current setup?
Antonio Carlini
2020-09-02 20:07:35 UTC
Post by Oswald Knoppers
Post by Antonio Carlini
Antonio
So you are sure the mop client points to sys13 in your current setup?
Looks OK to me. Also, I've touched nothing, CLUSTER_CONFIG.COM did it all. I'm just an innocent bystander :-)

Antonio

NCP>show kno node circuit qna-0 char

Known Node Volatile Characteristics as of 2-SEP-2020 21:01:37

Remote node = 1.51 (VAX072)

No information available

Remote node = 1.53 (VS4060)

Hardware address = 08-00-2B-2E-19-6C
Tertiary loader = SYS$SYSTEM:TERTIARY_VMB.EXE
Load Assist Agent = SYS$SHARE:NISCS_LAA.EXE
Load Assist Parameter = DISK$OPENVMS072:<SYS13.>

Oswald Knoppers
2020-09-02 20:13:03 UTC

On what platform are you running simh? Can you use tcpdump or Wireshark to get a network trace?
Antonio Carlini
2020-09-02 20:32:33 UTC
Post by Oswald Knoppers
On what platform are you running simh?
W7 (don't judge me :-))
Post by Oswald Knoppers
Can you use tcpdump or Wireshark to get a network trace?
I can probably do that tomorrow or the next day.

Antonio
Chris
2020-09-05 13:59:34 UTC
Post by Oswald Knoppers
Can you use tcpdump or Wireshark to get a network trace?
I can probably do that tomorrow or the next day.
Antonio
See you are having fun there, Antonio :-)...

Chris
o***@gmail.com
2020-09-01 05:45:52 UTC
Post by Antonio Carlini
I'm trying to build a VMS cluster using SIMH as the disk server and a VAXstation 4000-60 as a satellite. The VS4060 has a disk and I can boot VMS on that and then SET HOST to/from the SIMH node, so there's no network connectivity issue.
- installed VMS V7.2
- I picked Y for all the options except the MGMT Station stuff
- I picked Phase IV
- Completed the install
- Installed the Hobbyist PAKs (all of them)
- Installed UCX V4.1
- Added STARTNET and UCX$STARTUP to SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM
At this point I tested network connectivity and all is fine.
%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 25-AUG-2020 17:05:32.18 %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user DECNET on CLU071
DECnet event 0.3, automatic line service
From node 1.51 (CLU071), 25-AUG-2020 17:05:32.18
Circuit QNA-0, Load, Requested, Node = 1.52 (VS4060)
File = DISK$OPENVMS071:<SYS10.>, Operating system
Ethernet address = 08-00-2B-2E-19-6C
%VAXcluster, system loaded from VAX072 (AA-00-04-00-33-04)
%VAXcluster, unable to locate BOOT file
83 BOOT SYS
-ESA0
and repeats that indefinitely.
The [SYS10.] root looks OK and does seem to have the correct links but something is obviously not quite right.
I did this a few weeks ago using V7.1 and the behaviour was the same. V7.2 is the latest I have handy.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Antonio
Antonio Carlini
I would expect a second OPCOM message with load successful.

You can look at the network traffic with tcptrace on the simh vax.

Oswald
Oleg P
2020-09-11 19:49:55 UTC
Hi,
You need to check [sys10.sysexe] or [sys13.sysexe] directories (I didn't understand which directory you are using).
Into this directories must be files, for example from my directory:

$ dir [sys11.sysexe]

Directory DUA0:[SYS11.SYSEXE]

AGEN$ADDHISTORY.DAT;1 AGEN$PARAMS.REPORT;3
AGEN$PARAMS.REPORT;2 AGEN$PARAMS.REPORT;1
AUTOGEN.PAR;3 AUTOGEN.PAR;2 AUTOGEN.PAR;1 LISTPREPOP.DAT;1
MODPARAMS.DAT;3 MODPARAMS.DAT;2 MODPARAMS.DAT;1 NET$PROXY.DAT;1
NETCIRC.DAT;1 NETCONF.DAT;1 NETLINE.DAT;1 NETLOGING.DAT;1
NETNODE_LOCAL.DAT;1 NETNODE_REMOTE.DAT;1 NETOBJECT.DAT;1
NETPROXY.DAT;1 PARAMS.DAT;3 PARAMS.DAT;2 PARAMS.DAT;1
SETPARAMS.DAT;3 SETPARAMS.DAT;2 SETPARAMS.DAT;1 SYS$INCARNATION.DAT;1
SYSUAF.LIS;1 VAXVMSSYS.OLD;3 VAXVMSSYS.OLD;2 VAXVMSSYS.OLD;1
VAXVMSSYS.PAR;2

If this directories are empty then you will get an error message.

I was making this directory simply copy from satellite node [sys0.sysexe] all files exept
PAGEFILE.SYS;1 and SWAPFILE.SYS;1
Oleg P
2020-09-16 06:09:26 UTC
Post by Oleg P
If this directories are empty then you will get an error message.
Sorry,
You will get "and repeats that indefinitely"

Also I do not copy ERRORLOG.DMP and SYSDUMP.DMP files.