VSI community license
2021-10-25 10:22:48 UTC
So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.

Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
from an iPad? :-)

At the latest when I have the license, I'll see what version of VSI VMS
I should install. I recall some issues about a) only _relatively_ new
hardware being supported by some version(s) and b) only a fresh install
(as opposed to upgrade) supported by some (possibly other) version(s).

What do folks here with experience suggest?
Simon Clubley
2021-10-25 12:03:42 UTC
So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.
Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
from an iPad? :-)
What error message did you get when you tried it ?

2021-10-25 13:16:44 UTC
So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.
Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
from an iPad? :-)
What error message did you get when you tried it ?
None, but I got the spinning-wheel waiting symbol for probably less than
a second, and no message that it had been successfully submitted.

Will try later from my wife's MacBook.

I don't think that one can submit the form from VMS (maybe if I update
LYNX, but I don't know).
Chris Townley
2021-10-25 14:02:54 UTC
So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.
Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
from an iPad? :-)
What error message did you get when you tried it ?
None, but I got the spinning-wheel waiting symbol for probably less than
a second, and no message that it had been successfully submitted.
Will try later from my wife's MacBook.
I don't think that one can submit the form from VMS (maybe if I update
LYNX, but I don't know).
Was that with the built in browser?

Try loading and using Chrome on the iPad
2021-10-25 14:21:43 UTC
Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
from an iPad? :-)
What error message did you get when you tried it ?
None, but I got the spinning-wheel waiting symbol for probably less than
a second, and no message that it had been successfully submitted.
Was that with the built in browser?
Yes, with Safari.
Post by Chris Townley
Try loading and using Chrome on the iPad
I had loaded Chrome before, but haven't used it much. Now I remember
why: it asks me for EVERY PAGE if I want it to be translated. Yes, that
can probably be configured, but the main goal of all software should be
SENSIBLE DEFAULTS.

OK. Exactly the same behaviour.

Lynx actually does forms rather well, but the page in Lynx says that the
form has already been submitted, and has ALT tags "Spinner" for the
wheels mentioned above. :-(
Chris Townley
2021-10-25 14:30:31 UTC
Post by Chris Townley
Try loading and using Chrome on the iPad
I had loaded Chrome before, but haven't used it much. Now I remember
why: it asks me for EVERY PAGE if I want it to be translated. Yes, that
can probably be configured, but the main goal of all software should be
SENSIBLE DEFAULTS.
OK. Exactly the same behaviour.
Lynx actually does forms rather well, but the page in Lynx says that the
form has already been submitted, and has ALT tags "Spinner" for the
wheels mentioned above. :-(
Might be you are blocking pop ups - see if that helps. Otherwise try
again with Chrome, but in an incognito windows - that has helped me before
David Wade
2021-10-26 05:00:06 UTC
On 2021-10-25, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.
Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
from an iPad?  :-)
What error message did you get when you tried it ?
None, but I got the spinning-wheel waiting symbol for probably less than
a second, and no message that it had been successfully submitted.
Will try later from my wife's MacBook.
I don't think that one can submit the form from VMS (maybe if I update
LYNX, but I don't know).
Was that with the built in browser?
Try loading and using Chrome on the iPad
Its pretty pointless loading Chrome on an iPad. Apple T&Cs mean it uses
the same underlying rendering engine that Safari does...

https://www.theregister.com/2021/10/22/safari_risks_becoming_the_new_ie/

and so has the same bugs...

Dave

Dave Froble
2021-10-25 15:11:57 UTC
So, time to move to the community license and to VSI VMS on Alpha to
tide me over until x86 on bare metal is available.
Have a nice wait ...
Has anyone successfully submitted the community-license request form
from an iPad? :-)
At the latest when I have the license, I'll see what version of VSI VMS
I should install. I recall some issues about a) only _relatively_ new
hardware being supported by some version(s) and b) only a fresh install
(as opposed to upgrade) supported by some (possibly other) version(s).
For Alpha, I believe only V8.4 2L1 and V8.4 2L2 have been released by VSI.
There might be a good chance that VSI will not release any more Alpha
versions. (They didn't really plan on any Alpha versions.)

Both are identical code. 2L2 is compiled to use EV6 capabilities. While
there is a performance advantage, would a hobbyist really see much advantage?
Probably not. For pre-EV6 CPUs, 2L1 is your only option.
2021-10-25 16:06:32 UTC
[...]
I believe V8.4 2L2 is not available to hobbyists
2021-10-25 19:50:48 UTC
For Alpha, I believe only V8.4 2L1 and V8.4 2L2 have been released by VSI.
There might be a good chance that VSI will not release any more Alpha
versions. (They didn't really plan on any Alpha versions.)
Yes they did, because they said a) that a mixed Alpha/x86 cluster would
be offered and b) that that VMS on Alpha would have to be from VSI.
That was in the very first announcement in the conference call.
Post by Dave Froble
Both are identical code. 2L2 is compiled to use EV6 capabilities. While
there is a performance advantage, would a hobbyist really see much advantage?
Probably not. For pre-EV6 CPUs, 2L1 is your only option.
I have all CPUs, but some EV56 still in use. I don't really care about
the advantage at this point, especially since there is an EV6 in the
cluster if I need it. The more important issue is fresh install vs.
upgrade.
Dave Froble
2021-10-25 20:31:58 UTC
For Alpha, I believe only V8.4 2L1 and V8.4 2L2 have been released by VSI.
There might be a good chance that VSI will not release any more Alpha
versions. (They didn't really plan on any Alpha versions.)
Yes they did, because they said a) that a mixed Alpha/x86 cluster would
be offered and b) that that VMS on Alpha would have to be from VSI.
That was in the very first announcement in the conference call.
That might have been a patch they intended. Doesn't matter, it now exists.
Both are identical code. 2L2 is compiled to use EV6 capabilities. While
there is a performance advantage, would a hobbyist really see much advantage?
Probably not. For pre-EV6 CPUs, 2L1 is your only option.
I have all CPUs, but some EV56 still in use. I don't really care about
the advantage at this point, especially since there is an EV6 in the
cluster if I need it. The more important issue is fresh install vs.
upgrade.
I would seriously suggest a fresh install. There might be some old cruff
around that might cause problems.

Installing VMS is trivial.

Adding in site customizations takes more effort.