SEEKING VAX 11-780
Add Reply
Maggie Ambrose
2021-05-06 18:29:31 UTC
Hi! Stan Quale suggested I post here.

I'm looking for a VAX 11-780 (either functional or non-functional) to film with this summer for a documentary project. Any leads at all would be helpful. I'm based in New York, but willing to travel.

Thank you in advance,
John Reagan
2021-05-06 18:47:48 UTC
The Rhode Island Computer Museum has one. https://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home
Arne Vajhøj
2021-05-06 19:21:54 UTC
Post by Maggie Ambrose
I'm looking for a VAX 11-780 (either functional or non-functional)
to film with this summer for a documentary project. Any leads at
all would be helpful. I'm based in New York, but willing to
travel.
The Rhode Island Computer Museum has one. https://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home
Interesting.

They seem to have quite a collection:

https://www.ricomputermuseum.org/collections-gallery/equipment

PDP-8, PDP-10, PDP-11, 730, 750, 780, 8650 etc..

Arne
k***@gmail.com
2021-05-06 23:44:29 UTC
Info-vax
Sent: May-06-21 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Info-vax] SEEKING VAX 11-780
Post by John Reagan
Post by Maggie Ambrose
I'm looking for a VAX 11-780 (either functional or non-functional) to
film with this summer for a documentary project. Any leads at all
would be helpful. I'm based in New York, but willing to travel.
The Rhode Island Computer Museum has one.
https://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home
Interesting.
https://www.ricomputermuseum.org/collections-gallery/equipment
PDP-8, PDP-10, PDP-11, 730, 750, 780, 8650 etc..
Arne
Brings back memories.

Being the pack rat that I am, I still have PDP8 programming guides as well as troubleshooting cookbooks of manually toggled in programs that we used to troubleshoot bugs using our DEC supplied field service oscilloscopes and ufiche readers that we used to keep in our trunks.

😊

https://www.avg.com
David Wade
2021-05-06 22:14:25 UTC
Post by Maggie Ambrose
Hi! Stan Quale suggested I post here.
I'm looking for a VAX 11-780 (either functional or non-functional) to film with this summer for a documentary project. Any leads at all would be helpful. I'm based in New York, but willing to travel.
Thank you in advance,
I know LSSM in Pittsburg have Vaxen but not sure if they have a 780..

https://www.mact.io/our_exhibits

Dave
V***@SendSpamHere.ORG
2021-05-07 10:59:10 UTC
Post by Maggie Ambrose
Hi! Stan Quale suggested I post here.
I'm looking for a VAX 11-780 (either functional or non-functional) to film with this summer for a documentary project. Any leads at all would be helpful. I'm based in New York, but willing to travel.
Thank you in advance,
Contact the Vintage Computer Federation (VCFed.org). Their museum is in
Wall NJ at the InfoAge Science and History Museum (InfoAge.org). VCF has
a great many historical computers. There are VAXen from the VAX 11/780
to a multitude of MicroVAXen to even a VAX-9000!

2021-05-07 12:04:50 UTC
Post by Maggie Ambrose
Hi! Stan Quale suggested I post here.
I'm looking for a VAX 11-780 (either functional or non-functional) to film with this summer for a documentary project. Any leads at all would be helpful. I'm based in New York, but willing to travel.
Hello,

Are you able to tell us what the documentary will be about ?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Chris Hanson
2021-05-21 06:00:06 UTC
Post by Maggie Ambrose
I'm looking for a VAX 11-780 (either functional or non-functional) to film with this summer for a documentary project. Any leads at all would be helpful. I'm based in New York, but willing to travel.
I would be very cautious allowing anyone to film with or dress sets with
historical systems from one's collection. I've heard horror stories of
*irreplaceable* hardware being loaned for use in productions getting
absolutely trashed, repainted to fit a "look" without regard to
historicity or future operability, etc. -- essentially treated like "old
junk" rather than a true museum piece.

I'm sure the OP *doesn't* intend to do any of that, but I'd say better
safe than sorry, and intent doesn't matter so much as outcome. If I ever
provide something from my collection for use in a production, I expect
to, at minimum, (1) babysit it while it's on the lot and on set, and (2)
have full control and veto power over its treatment, including being
able to tell the director of the production "no" when it comes to
anything regarding my hardware. My hope is that it would just be a waste
of my time, but my fear is that it would be very necessary.

-- Chris