VAX Phone Pandora Psychiatrist Chatbot
Add Reply
Supratim Sanyal
2020-10-28 03:48:12 UTC
Hi

I am sure this has been done before, but here's the wild idea. Any tips
on getting this to work?

On real MicroVAX running OpenVMS with networking, hook up the Pandora
feedback psychiatrist program to a VAX Phone automatic responder, kind
of like a chat bot.

So, someone on the network could do PHONE MARIAH::PANDORA and it will be
answered by Pandora and a dialog would ensue.

Possible? How?

Thanks
Supratim Sanyal
-
Supratim Sanyal
-
Stephen Hoffman
2020-10-28 18:13:12 UTC
On real MicroVAX running OpenVMS with networking, hook up the [ELIZA]
feedback psychiatrist program to a VAX Phone automatic responder, kind
of like a chat bot.
So, someone on the network could do PHONE MARIAH::[ELIZA] and it will
be answered by [ELIZA] and a dialog would ensue.
The DEC PHONE protocol is not a complex protocol, and you'll either be
reversing that protocol, or scrounging up a copy of the PHONE source
listings and skimming through that. The PHONE protocol hasn't changed
in ~forever.

For the meddler-in-the-middle approach to reversing the PHONE protocol
here, present a spoofed object 29 on one DECnet host and connect to
PHONE object 29 on a second, connect a PHONE client to the MITM host,
and then read and log and pass messages between between the client and
the (real) server.

There was a PHONE "tee" program written in DCL back some 25 years ago
which initiated calls to two different users, connecting those two
users together, having spoofed to each the other user as the caller.
There were other similar programs that sent mail directly using the
MAIL-11 protocol. Not that I have samples of either genre immediately
handy.

As these spoofing tools became more prevalent, DECnet was "hardened" to
(optionally) require privileges for certain connections. Not that
requiring privileges did or could do much with any compromised hosts.
Some 🤡 discussed that security detail here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.os.vms/0t-ruqRRVuM/Vr09KCUsfhgJ

In addition to the above, here are some DECnet task-to-task and
to-object DCL examples, some of which target PHONE-11.

http://phrack.org/issues/27/6.html
https://www.digiater.nl/openvms/freeware/v80/hoffman_examples/xqtype.com
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.os.vms/GT5YkJ44ZKs/NO79jGWyMUwJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.os.vms/ydH-sDQB7oY/qtr_wbEoS1kJ