pedofilo spam
Hein RMS van den Heuvel
2020-12-06 00:03:07 UTC
Hi folks,
Al our regular reader some to have been nicely ignoring these 'ARRESTARE L'AVVOCATO PEDOFILO' blah blah blah spam post this group has been the victim of for years now it seems. Great, we don't want to acknowledge and encourage this nonsense do we now?

Lately the frequency of these annoyance seems to have picked up.
Is there perhaps a group administrator or moderator or some such who could stop these?

Admittedly I have NOT investigated how to block this at all hoping someone might have gone there before.

comments?
Hein.
Scott Dorsey
2020-12-06 00:48:45 UTC
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Hi folks,
Al our regular reader some to have been nicely ignoring these 'ARRESTARE L'AVVOCATO PEDOFILO' blah blah blah spam post this group has been the victim of for years now it seems. Great, we don't want to acknowledge and encourage this nonsense do we now?
I don't see them. Checking things out, it appears that these are spam
messages injected from Google Groups, and most sites discard them. Most
Usenet spam originates from Google Groups since it is so incompetently run.
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Lately the frequency of these annoyance seems to have picked up.
Is there perhaps a group administrator or moderator or some such who could stop these?
There is no group administrator, this is Usenet.
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Admittedly I have NOT investigated how to block this at all hoping someone might have gone there before.
Most competently-run sites block that stuff. Some of them actually just
dump everything from Google Groups completely because so much of it is
spam. There is nobody answering the phones at Google Groups and no way
to talk to anyone there, so about the only thing anyone can do is filter
postings from Google.

Google Groups is run by idiots. The only good thing about them was their
archive, but now they have broken that and the searches no longer work,
so there is really no reason for it to even exist any longer. Their attempt
to make Usenet look like it's their own proprietary thing is patently
offensive and it should be shut down.
John H. Reinhardt
2020-12-06 06:10:26 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Hi folks,
Al our regular reader some to have been nicely ignoring these 'ARRESTARE L'AVVOCATO PEDOFILO' blah blah blah spam post this group has been the victim of for years now it seems. Great, we don't want to acknowledge and encourage this nonsense do we now?
I don't see them. Checking things out, it appears that these are spam
messages injected from Google Groups, and most sites discard them. Most
Usenet spam originates from Google Groups since it is so incompetently run.
I get them through my news feed from eternal-september. I got three just today. Probably the ones that triggered Hein. There was one a few days ago but then none for a month before that perhaps.
John H. Reinhardt
Scott Dorsey
2020-12-06 12:58:46 UTC
Post by John H. Reinhardt
I get them through my news feed from eternal-september. I got three just today. Probably the ones that triggered Hein. There was one a few days ago but then none for a month before that perhaps.
So send one to them and tell them to update their cleanfeed filters to deal
with it.
2020-12-06 14:21:57 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by John H. Reinhardt
I get them through my news feed from eternal-september. I got three just today. Probably the ones that triggered Hein. There was one a few days ago but then none for a month before that perhaps.
So send one to them and tell them to update their cleanfeed filters to deal
with it.
--scott
if you are running Thunderbird email client, you can use
the message filters to delete or other, based on source
id, title or content, so you never even see such rubbish.
Takes minutes to setup for a variety of input criteria.

Usenet and email has always been full of it, but not
difficult to deal with...

2020-12-06 15:17:37 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Hi folks,
Al our regular reader some to have been nicely ignoring these 'ARRESTARE L'AVVOCATO PEDOFILO' blah blah blah spam post this group has been the victim of for years now it seems. Great, we don't want to acknowledge and encourage this nonsense do we now?
I don't see them. Checking things out, it appears that these are spam
messages injected from Google Groups, and most sites discard them. Most
Usenet spam originates from Google Groups since it is so incompetently run.
I don't see them either.
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Lately the frequency of these annoyance seems to have picked up.
Is there perhaps a group administrator or moderator or some such who could stop these?
There is no group administrator, this is Usenet.
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Admittedly I have NOT investigated how to block this at all hoping someone might have gone there before.
Most competently-run sites block that stuff. Some of them actually just
dump everything from Google Groups completely because so much of it is
spam. There is nobody answering the phones at Google Groups and no way
to talk to anyone there, so about the only thing anyone can do is filter
postings from Google.
I once had some spam from Google Groups to a moderated group which I
co-moderate. I never could find anyone to talk to. Very badly run, and
tries to intentionally create the impression that "Google Groups" is
something invented by Google, when it is just a (poor) interface to
usenet.
Indeed. Whatever happened to their old motto?
Michael Moroney
2020-12-06 17:03:53 UTC
At one time I was going to ask whether "VMS" meant something in Italy or
Italian since the idiot has been posting that crap here (and nowhere else I
knew of) for quite some time. But until now, it was only once in a while so I
always let sleeping dogs lie.
I once had some spam from Google Groups to a moderated group which I
co-moderate. I never could find anyone to talk to. Very badly run, and
tries to intentionally create the impression that "Google Groups" is
something invented by Google, when it is just a (poor) interface to
usenet.
I have posted this before many times, but I will do so again.

Sometimes, like any large company, Google hires the wrong or incompetent
people. I have a theory that, rather than fire them, Google reassigns them to a
dungeon deep below their headquarters and assigns them a new task, which is to
make Google Groups worse and worse, just to get rid of them.
Post by Scott Dorsey
Google Groups is run by idiots. The only good thing about them was their
archive, but now they have broken that and the searches no longer work,
so there is really no reason for it to even exist any longer. Their attempt
to make Usenet look like it's their own proprietary thing is patently
offensive and it should be shut down.
Indeed. Whatever happened to their old motto?
When I originally came up with my "theory" they still seemed to believe in "Do
no evil" as perhaps my wording may indicate. I even had a job interview with
them after I got laid off from the VMS group, and I was half tempted to take me
to the Google Groups people were so I could yell at them. :-)

Very interesting interview.
Chris Townley
2020-12-06 17:09:14 UTC
Post by Michael Moroney
At one time I was going to ask whether "VMS" meant something in Italy or
Italian since the idiot has been posting that crap here (and nowhere else I
knew of) for quite some time. But until now, it was only once in a while so I
always let sleeping dogs lie.
Also posted on various other groups

Chris
Hein RMS van den Heuvel
2020-12-07 02:53:21 UTC
Post by Michael Moroney
At one time I was going to ask whether "VMS" meant something in Italy or
Italian since the idiot has been posting that crap here (and nowhere else I
knew of) for quite some time. But until now, it was only once in a while so I
always let sleeping dogs lie.
Also posted on various other groups
Chris
Thanks all!
- I lost a newsreader service years ago and google groups was an easy find as alternative. It mostly works fine for me, with this Italian stuff pretty much being the only annoyance. If it bothers me enough then apparently I'll have to switch to a proper newsserver and setup a kill file.
- Good to see I'm not the only one seeing the odd posts and having seen an activity uptick recently
- Good to see I'm not the only one wondering whether there was an OpenVMS connection - apparently not.
- Good to see I'm not the only one wondering what the purpose could possibly be

Cheers,
Hein
John Reagan
2020-12-07 03:08:04 UTC
Post by Chris Townley
Post by Michael Moroney
[...]
I'm ok with Google Groups but the phone version won't let me reply to anything. That probably is a good thing. :)

I actually replied to one of the Italian posts suggesting some DECC$ feature logicals but I don't think they took my advice.
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-12-07 07:21:29 UTC
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
- I lost a newsreader service years ago and google groups was an easy find
as alternative. It mostly works fine for me, with this Italian stuff pretty
much being the only annoyance. If it bothers me enough then apparently I'll
have to switch to a proper newsserver and setup a kill file.
Check out aioe.org, which I've been using for a few years now. It
offers a well maintained and free nntp service which does not require
any sort of registration or authorization. That means that I can
continue to use NEWSRDR (which is a VMS news reader with an interface
similar to VMS MAIL and BOOKREADER documentation---who said that one
can't have everything?). I really like NEWSRDR. I've defined the EDT
keypad to have similar functionality to that which it has in MAIL, and
have defined other keys as well.
V***@SendSpamHere.ORG
2020-12-07 11:29:40 UTC
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
- I lost a newsreader service years ago and google groups was an easy find
as alternative. It mostly works fine for me, with this Italian stuff pretty
much being the only annoyance. If it bothers me enough then apparently I'll
have to switch to a proper newsserver and setup a kill file.
Check out aioe.org, which I've been using for a few years now. It
offers a well maintained and free nntp service which does not require
any sort of registration or authorization. That means that I can
continue to use NEWSRDR (which is a VMS news reader with an interface
similar to VMS MAIL and BOOKREADER documentation---who said that one
can't have everything?). I really like NEWSRDR. I've defined the EDT
keypad to have similar functionality to that which it has in MAIL, and
have defined other keys as well.
Ditto!

I've also made several mods to NEWSRDR itself for my use/needs.

2020-12-07 11:15:24 UTC
Post by V***@SendSpamHere.ORG
I've also made several mods to NEWSRDR itself for my use/needs.
I haven't touched it since recompiling for Alpha almost a quarter of a
century ago.

Are your mods of general interest? If so, it might be worth putting
your version on Hunter's list in addition to the original version. (I
don't think that it is maintained anymore, so probably no chance to fold
your mods into the official version.)
Supratim Sanyal
2020-12-12 02:22:08 UTC
Check out aioe.org, which I've been using for a few years now. It
Thank you for the very useful pointer to news.aioe.org

Hans Bachner
2020-12-07 19:02:54 UTC
Hello Hein,
Post by Chris Townley
Post by Michael Moroney
[...]
I've been using individual.de (run by the IT department of the
University of Berlin) for more years than I can remember. They charge
you € 10.- per year, and have a really large selection of newsgroups of
all kinds. They use a very effective spam filter - I've seen only a
single instance of the posting you're complaining about.

I also have subscribed to eternal-september.org, more out of curiosity
whether I miss any messages with individual.de. I only missed ~2 dozen
of the spam postings (during the last two or three months, and others
before) filtered by individual.de.

Best regards,
Hans.
Jiří Kašpar
2020-12-06 11:07:28 UTC
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Hi folks,
Al our regular reader some to have been nicely ignoring these 'ARRESTARE L'AVVOCATO PEDOFILO' blah blah blah spam post this group has been the victim of for years now it seems. Great, we don't want to acknowledge and encourage this nonsense do we now?
Lately the frequency of these annoyance seems to have picked up.
Is there perhaps a group administrator or moderator or some such who could stop these?
Admittedly I have NOT investigated how to block this at all hoping someone might have gone there before.
comments?
Hein.
I use google groups and see 8 occurences just in the last week. I tried "Report abuse" button several times ~ two years ago, but with no success.
Jiri
Scott Dorsey
2020-12-06 12:59:58 UTC
Post by Jiří Kašpar
I use google groups and see 8 occurences just in the last week. I tried "Report abuse" button several times ~ two years ago, but with no success.
Jiri
"Reporting abuse" to Google Groups is like complaining to burglars that your
house keeps being broken into.
2020-12-06 14:01:04 UTC
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Hi folks,
Al our regular reader some to have been nicely ignoring these 'ARRESTARE L'AVVOCATO PEDOFILO' blah blah blah spam post this group has been the victim of for years now it seems. Great, we don't want to acknowledge and encourage this nonsense do we now?
I looked back 1000 posts -- which with all the nonsense here could be only 2
hours ago -- and that took me to early November. I did not see any of these
message.
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Lately the frequency of these annoyance seems to have picked up.
No where I sit.
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Is there perhaps a group administrator or moderator or some such who could stop these?
Many years ago, I took over moderation of VMSnet.Employment. That was a low
volume newsgroup. I can't imagine somebody moderating comp.os.vms.
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Admittedly I have NOT investigated how to block this at all hoping someone might have gone there before.
comments?
Hein.
KILL FILE

2020-12-06 15:15:47 UTC
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
Al our regular reader some to have been nicely ignoring these
'ARRESTARE L'AVVOCATO PEDOFILO' blah blah blah spam post this group has
Post by Hein RMS van den Heuvel
been the victim of for years now it seems. Great, we don't want to
acknowledge and encourage this nonsense do we now?
Lately the frequency of these annoyance seems to have picked up.
Is there perhaps a group administrator or moderator or some such who could stop these?
This is an unmoderated group. Your only hope is to find out who runs
the NNTP server to which the article was originally posted and point out
the abuse.