Does anyone know how long it will be before HPE kills the itrc openvms access?
Add Reply
Jon Pinkley
2020-11-04 08:49:36 UTC
I stopped using the HP itrc after the migration that left many dead links to other posts in the forum, because the migration didn't update the links pointing to other internal forum posts.

There is still some useful historical info there that I am afraid will be lost soon. Links to stuff there still comes up in google search results now.

Does VSI have any plans to at least get a static snapshot of the info, if HPE is not going to preserve it and at least offer read access to it?

If not, does anyone have a good recommended way to scrape the data?

---

Did anyone ever preserve the DEC internal Notes conferences, and if so, were they ever made public?

From what I have heard, since I never had access to them, those notes probably had a lot of information that could never be reproduced at this time.
Jon Pinkley
2020-11-05 05:32:36 UTC
Related, I wonder if the DSNlink database survived the transistion from Digital -> Compaq -> HP -> HPE -> VSI.

There were some useful examples that would be helpful to someone replacing a veteran VAX/VMS - OpenVMS Systems Manager or Developer that needed to support old code.

There are also examples in the OpenVMS Programming Concepts and James F Duff has eight-cubed.com with many examples in c, I just looked and the http://www.eight-cubed.com/examples.shtml page loads, but when clicking the examples, I get a 500 response

This page isn’t working
www.eight-cubed.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

Most (what I looked for) of eight-cubed is still available on the wayback machine.
Jon Pinkley
2020-11-14 06:55:41 UTC
Jim Duff's www.eight-cubed.com site is working again. You may want to download the zip copy of his examples in the http://www.eight-cubed.com/downloads.html page.

Most of his examples are in the http://eight-cubed.com/examples/examples.zip file.
Stephen Hoffman
2020-11-14 15:01:10 UTC
Post by Jon Pinkley
Related, I wonder if the DSNlink database survived the transistion from
Digital -> Compaq -> HP -> HPE -> VSI.
Some semi-history...

The back-end server for AskQ / DSNlink was known by the acronyms TIMA /
STARS, and that was retired ~twenty years ago. Retired pre-HP or maybe
very early HP, IIRC.

DEC TIMA: Time-critical Information Management Architecture. I don't
recall the backronym for STARS off-hand. COMET was another related
acronym from that era.

The TIMA / STARS content got clobbered during one of the several
support system content migrations. Compaq and HP were fond of replacing
and migrating their support apps as support for the existing support
apps faded.

Unless you can find a CD copy of TIMA / STARS, that data is gone.
Finding one of the rumored surviving CD copies of the database might
not be easy. Cleaning it up for re-publication, more so.

Phillipe Vouters had his own TIMA examples online for a while, though
that resource is seemingly no longer accessible.

In some ways that old example data might still be valuable, and in
other ways each of those examples would need review and probably
maintenance and updates. OpenVMS examples can sometimes be buggy,
insecure, and/or stale. q.v. SYS$EXAMPLES

VSI was starting up their own Wiki, and that'd prolly be where some
examples would become available. Support customers can likely ask for
and receive code examples.