You are invited to join the VMS Software. Inc Forum.
David Sweeney
2021-08-06 14:04:24 UTC
VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com. While occasionally VSI employees read and post on comp.os.vms the VSI forum is the best place to interact with VSI about OpenVMS. You are welcome to start topics on the products and issues most important to you in the forum. VSI would also appreciate you sharing your OpenVMS experiences and expertise with the forum to the global OpenVMS community.

If you have already joined the forum, thank you.

Best Regards
Dave Sweeney
VMS Software, Inc.
800 District Ave.
Burlington, MA 01803
Arne Vajhøj
2021-08-06 14:19:16 UTC
Post by David Sweeney
VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate
in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com. While occasionally
VSI employees read and post on comp.os.vms the VSI forum is the best
place to interact with VSI about OpenVMS. You are welcome to start
topics on the products and issues most important to you in the forum.
VSI would also appreciate you sharing your OpenVMS experiences and
expertise with the forum to the global OpenVMS community.
And just to confirm: you are "Chief Customer Advocate" at VSI?
Post by David Sweeney
If you have already joined the forum, thank you.
Some of us have.

David Sweeney
2021-08-06 14:47:20 UTC
Post by David Sweeney
If you have already joined the forum, thank you.
Some of us have.
Hello Arne,

Confimed.

Dave Sweeney
Chief Customer Advocate
800 District Ave Suite 530, Burlington, MA 01803
vmssoftware.com
Simon Clubley
2021-08-06 17:11:52 UTC
Post by David Sweeney
VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com. While occasionally VSI employees read and post on comp.os.vms the VSI forum is the best place to interact with VSI about OpenVMS. You are welcome to start topics on the products and issues most important to you in the forum. VSI would also appreciate you sharing your OpenVMS experiences and expertise with the forum to the global OpenVMS community.
What is to stop VSI from censoring or shadow banning someone who
raises uncomfortable truths or starts asking awkward questions
that VSI would rather not be asked ?

A more general problem is that if VSI goes bust in a few years,
all the knowledge contributed to the VSI forum is likely to be lost.

If that knowledge is in comp.os.vms, it will remain available for
anyone to find, even if VSI goes bust and the VSI forum disappears.

2021-08-06 17:17:15 UTC
Post by David Sweeney
[...]
Why do you always predict the demise of VSI? Here they try to let people know where they will likely see topics more quickly so that they can respond and you make it a negative. I look at the forum as yet another pathway to solutions and additional knowledge. Will I rely strictly on that forum, no. Would anyone else? I doubt it.

Still overall, I find it a good thing. I would rather contribute to make it more usable for others and perhaps to make some people aware of VSI on a more frequent basis. The more use, the more OpenVMS gets into conversations, the more likely it is to remain.

I would rather take a positive viewpoint than to continually focus on possible negatives. Ever hear of the self-fulfilling proficy?
Simon Clubley
2021-08-06 17:29:04 UTC
Post by abrsvc
Why do you always predict the demise of VSI? Here they try to let people know where they will likely see topics more quickly so that they can respond and you make it a negative. I look at the forum as yet another pathway to solutions and additional knowledge. Will I rely strictly on that forum, no. Would anyone else? I doubt it.
I am not predicting the demise of VSI. I discuss the implications of
what would happen _if_ VSI did go bust.

I also guarantee you that many of the managers of the people here are
also asking the same thing (at least if they are doing their jobs).
Post by abrsvc
Still overall, I find it a good thing. I would rather contribute to make it more usable for others and perhaps to make some people aware of VSI on a more frequent basis. The more use, the more OpenVMS gets into conversations, the more likely it is to remain.
I would rather take a positive viewpoint than to continually focus on possible negatives. Ever hear of the self-fulfilling proficy?
Ever hear about the extremely negatively received changes to licencing
that VSI have made ? The ones that have the potential to affect the
future of VSI if they drive enough people away ?

2021-08-06 17:39:49 UTC
Post by abrsvc
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by David Sweeney
[...]
Yeah, I agree. The negativity is getting boring. Consider the
question, would it be better if VSI did not set up the forum, or better
that they have done so?
2021-08-06 17:24:53 UTC
Post by David Sweeney
VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also
participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com.
While occasionally VSI employees read and post on comp.os.vms the
VSI forum is the best place to interact with VSI about OpenVMS. You
are welcome to start topics on the products and issues most
important to you in the forum. VSI would also appreciate you
sharing your OpenVMS experiences and expertise with the forum to
the global OpenVMS community.
What is to stop VSI from censoring or shadow banning someone who
raises uncomfortable truths or starts asking awkward questions that
VSI would rather not be asked ?
You could give it a try.

A more general problem is that if VSI goes bust in a few years, all
the knowledge contributed to the VSI forum is likely to be lost.
If that knowledge is in comp.os.vms, it will remain available for
anyone to find, even if VSI goes bust and the VSI forum disappears.
We all hope that VSI will be around for decades to come.

:-)

But even if not then I do not see the problem.

The suggestion came up an a thread about VSI leadership
and VSI license policy.

We have been told that VSI will be more likely
to notice comments if posted to VSI forum,

That seems very plausible.

The forum would probably go away if VSI went
away.

But what would be the loss if comments
about VSI leadership and VSI license policy
got lost if VSI did not exist any more??

If you have a brilliant piece of C code you want
to share then you could justify publishing it
another place than VSI forum.

But for VSI related stuff not so much.

Arne

PS: you can always post the same stuff both places
if you so prefer.
Dave Froble
2021-08-06 17:42:16 UTC
If you have a brilliant piece of C code you want
to share then you could justify publishing it
another place than VSI forum.
Are you implying that only C code can be brilliant?

I protest strongly ...

2021-08-06 17:56:08 UTC
If you have a brilliant piece of C code you want
to share then you could justify publishing it
another place than VSI forum.
Are you implying that only C code can be brilliant?
I protest strongly ...
:-)
Well, you can produce good stuff in the Wirth languages as well. :-)

$ set response/mode=really_good_natured

OTOH, there are training languages such as Basic (the B in Basic
stands for Beginner's) that people can get started with before moving
on to the serious languages. :-)

2021-08-06 18:19:39 UTC
If you have a brilliant piece of C code you want
to share then you could justify publishing it
another place than VSI forum.
Are you implying that only C code can be brilliant?
Very far from.
But Simon mostly talk about C and Pillar.
And Ada. :-)

2021-08-06 19:21:04 UTC
But Simon mostly talk about C and Pillar.
He is of course a Pillar of the VMS world

;)
plugh
2021-08-09 14:47:31 UTC
Post by David Sweeney
VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com.
Am I the only one who wishes this was a Notes-driven forum? php 6? phpbb? Really? Not that I don't enjoy phpbb. I think I have a 20 year old copy floating around somewhere...
TPU talking to webasm might be an interesting demonstration project.
Robert A. Brooks
2021-08-09 16:39:24 UTC
Post by plugh
Post by David Sweeney
VMS Software, Inc. invites all comp.os.vms users to also participate in the VSI OpenVMS forum at forum.vmssoftware.com.
Am I the only one who wishes this was a Notes-driven forum?
https://eisner.decus.org/

Still alive and kicking after 33+ years.

Does not see as much traffic as decades ago, but it still uses NOTES.