IT companies in Nashua
2021-08-11 07:39:46 UTC
At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?

(Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
abrsvc
2021-08-11 11:22:49 UTC
At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
(Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC facility. This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the employees changed.

I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.
Robert A. Brooks
2021-08-11 11:54:12 UTC
Post by abrsvc
At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
(Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC facility. This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the employees changed.
Oracle built their own building near the Spitbrook Road (ZK) complex.
Post by abrsvc
I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.
That sign was taken when HP vacated the complex in 2008. I think Sue Skonetski
took it.
Michael Moroney
2021-08-12 01:13:12 UTC
Post by Robert A. Brooks
On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 at 3:39:48 AM UTC-4, Phillip Helbig
At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
(Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC
facility.  This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the employees changed.
Oracle built their own building near the Spitbrook Road (ZK) complex.
I believe Oracle bought the land from Digital. They did build their own
building.
Post by Robert A. Brooks
I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small
pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.
That sign was taken when HP vacated the complex in 2008.  I think Sue
Skonetski took it.
The Non-Paged Pool sign was removed and auctioned off by Sue Skonetski
at a VMS Bootcamp.

The original ZK complex was purchased by a commercial property
management company and is now occupied by several companies.

What used to be woods behind the ZK complex (and I believe was once held
for future expansion of the ZK complex) has been built on. It is now
condos or apartments. What is nice is the main road through the complex
is named "Digital Drive". It connects an extension of Tara Blvd (past
ZK2). to "Research Drive", which is the roadway to the ZK3 parking lots.
(I don't know if that had a name during Digital times).
Lawrence D’Oliveiro
That second road should have been named “Equipment”, not “Research”, surely. Otherwise it’s memorializing the wrong company ...
V***@SendSpamHere.ORG
2021-08-11 13:36:26 UTC
Post by abrsvc
At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
(Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC facility. This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the employees changed.
I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.
Wrong. The NPP sign was auctioned off at a VMS Bootcamp. I know who owns it
now.

2021-08-11 17:22:58 UTC
Post by V***@SendSpamHere.ORG
Post by abrsvc
At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
(Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC facility. This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the employees changed.
I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.
Wrong. The NPP sign was auctioned off at a VMS Bootcamp. I know who owns it
now.
Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the
wall at the entrance to the facility ?

The one that local management replaced with some meaningless
management waffle ?

Alan Frisbie
2021-08-12 15:29:18 UTC
Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the
wall at the entrance to the facility ?
The one that local management replaced with some meaningless
management waffle ?
Yes, that's the one. I can't remember the original text, but
it was pretty cool. Then management replaced it with "CUSTOMERS
WIN WHEN WE DELIVER".

But at some point (cleaning? repainting?) two of the bits got
swapped, changing two of the characters to garbage. I sent
them a photo with the errors marked but nobody ever did anything
about it.

Almost as good was when the "Digital" letters on their office
building in Culver City, California got refurbished. The
contractor put them back as "Dgiital". They stayed like that
for a couple of days.

Alan Frisbie
Lee Gleason
2021-08-12 17:13:39 UTC
Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the
wall at the entrance to the facility ?
The one that local management replaced with some meaningless
management waffle ?
It oroginally spelled out

DIGITAL SOFTWA
REENGINEERING

The legend has it that some managers didn't like the fact that it
broke "Software" into two words and spelled out "REENGINEERING"...like
the engineering was was bad enough to need redoing. This was supposedly
the impetus to change it to the the CUSTOMER WINS" message

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants
***@comcast.net
Simon Clubley
2021-08-12 17:23:38 UTC
Post by Lee Gleason
Post by Simon Clubley
Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the
wall at the entrance to the facility ?
The one that local management replaced with some meaningless
management waffle ?
It oroginally spelled out
DIGITAL SOFTWA
REENGINEERING
Thanks.
Post by Lee Gleason
The legend has it that some managers didn't like the fact that it
broke "Software" into two words and spelled out "REENGINEERING"...like
the engineering was was bad enough to need redoing. This was supposedly
the impetus to change it to the the CUSTOMER WINS" message
Yes, that sounds like the kind of thing that some managers would
think about if they didn't have any real work to do that month. :-)

2021-08-12 17:55:36 UTC
Post by Lee Gleason
The legend has it that some managers didn't like the fact that it
broke "Software" into two words and spelled out "REENGINEERING"...like
the engineering was was bad enough to need redoing. This was supposedly
the impetus to change it to the the CUSTOMER WINS" message
Yes, that sounds like the kind of thing that some managers would
think about if they didn't have any real work to do that month. :-)
Simon.
Not difficult to think about if you walk past it a few times a day.

If I had arranged it, I would have sacked the signwriter!
2021-08-12 17:19:05 UTC
Post by Alan Frisbie
Post by Simon Clubley
Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the
wall at the entrance to the facility ?
The one that local management replaced with some meaningless
management waffle ?
Yes, that's the one. I can't remember the original text, but
it was pretty cool. Then management replaced it with "CUSTOMERS
WIN WHEN WE DELIVER".
Thanks. I thought it was but was not sure.

And I see I was right about the meaningless management waffle. :-)

2021-08-12 17:51:49 UTC
Wasn't that the DEC facility that also had the 2-D barcode on the wall
at the entrance to the facility ?
The one that local management replaced with some meaningless management
waffle ?
Yes, that's the one. I can't remember the original text, but it was
pretty cool.
DIGITALSOFTWA
REENGINEERING
Then management replaced it with "CUSTOMERS WIN WHEN WE DELIVER".
Rooting out all remaining traces of the previous regime.

Seems the latest regime as removed traces of the previous regimes again, too.
Other replies, in no particular order...

Dyn was located in Manchester for many years, and AFAIK its founding
and early operation was folks from WPI, and unrelated to DEC.

Oracle acquired Dyn some years ago, rolling parts into their Cloud offering.

And as for why Dyn is now located on Oracle Drive, Oracle seemingly had
available office space off Spitbrook Road.

Oracle acquired that Spitbrook Road property from DEC, around the time
of the Rdb sale.

The former ZKO3 building (westernmost) was renumbered as 100 Innovation
Way, ZKO1 (center) became 200 Innovation Way, and ZKO2 (easternmost,
nearest the FEE) as 300.

Looks like there's now an outdoor seating area located next to the
pond, which is a nice touch.

And as other replies have mentioned, the non-paged pool sign (and a
granite bench) were removed.

DEC had previously also occupied 10 Tara Blvd (TTB) to the west of the
Radisson hotel, but exited that building ~20 years ago, or more. There
were other DEC sites in Nashua, including on Cotton Road, Amherst
Street, and Northeastern Blvd.

What didn't have a street name is now Innovation Way and Digital Way in
Nashua, DEC Marlborough had Iron Way (now Results Way and Value Way,
and the site of "The Bubble" looks to be a condo complex), Apple has
Infinite Loop, various other folks have their own street names. Etc.

related: https://nashuatechnologypark.com
2021-08-11 19:16:05 UTC
Post by abrsvc
At least until the end of the 1990s Compaq had some offices in Nashua,
where DEC had been. Maybe some Rdb folks were there as well. By
chance, I just noticed that the address of dyndns/dyn.com is One Oracle
Drive in Nashua. Does that company have anything to do with
DEC/Compaq/HP, even if only in terms of office space?
(Which reminds me: the address of Seagate is on Disk Drive. :-) )
The RDB group was located at Spitbrook road which was the old DEC facility. This was taken over/bought by Oracle IRRC.
The group did not move, just the ownership of the building and the employees changed.
I haven't been there in a long time, but as far as I know, the small pond behind the building still has the "Non-paged Pool" sign.
Yes, I was there in 1999. I was in Boston for a conference, and I made
a pilgrimage up to Nashua, where Steve Lionel was kind enough to show me
around. (By a strange coincidence, the woman organizing the conference
supported an animal shelter for which Steve was the webmaster.) I got
to meet Hoff and Andy Goldstein. Fred Kleinsorge wasn't in that day
IIRC. I think Sue Skonetski might have been there too.

The internet tells me that Oracle Drive runs into Spit Brook Road.