off-topic: imstamtameous paging of a PDF file on an iPad
2021-05-12 14:02:07 UTC
I sometimes use LaTeX to create a PDF file which I can view in
full-screen mode and step through it page by page but with no scrolling,
imitated page turning, sliding, and so on. The main reason I want to
page through instantaneously is so that I can build up a slide with
bullet points line by line. Every PDF viewer I've seen can do this,
except those for the iPad. I downloaded 6--8 from the App Store and
none of them seem able to do what I want.

The closest I've come is with the native Books app, which has the full
page and individual pages as icons at the bottom. Thankfully, I have
VERY thin fingers, so can get what I want by tapping them one by one.
But that is error-prone, especially when giving a presentation. What I
want is similar functionality just by tapping.

Any ideas?

(Of course, I don't actually write several pages, each with one bullet
point more than the previous one. I write a normal LaTeX file with just
the complete pages. I then have a script which reads it and creates
LaTeX files for the individual pages. Via nested \input commands in a
new LaTeX file to the desired structure is created, optionally including
a footer or whatever. (Thus, even in the script-generated files, there
is no text duplicated.) After the last page, the completed pages are
\input one by one so that I can easily "go back" to a given slide.
While I've often seen the line-by-line structure, which presumably many
packages implement in a similar manner, I'm surprised to see a speaker
stepping back through previous slides line by line. I started this 25
years ago. There might be presentation packages which do something
similar, but I am content to concentrate on the logical structure and
have it come out looking like I want it for a presentation.)
Stephen Hoffman
2021-05-12 15:00:49 UTC
Any ideas?
Translating from the native Phillipian to app requirements, you're
seeking iPadOS Safari and its in-built PDF Preview support to not to
render embedded or linked PDFs as one long, continuous webpage?

If that's what you want, then the Books app (with vertical scrolling
disabled) and the PDF Expert app (select Annotate) can both provide PDF
per-page rendering, and tap-to-advance.

I use the PDF Expert app when what Preview offers for PDF processing is
inadequate, usually only when working with some arcane PDF file, or
with some PDF-based forms file.

iPadOS Books page-scrolling defaults to left and right margin taps for
directional paging, but can be set so that taps to either left or right
margins advance by using Settings > Books.

Books and document synching, I use heavily with PDF files. Which for
folks in the Apple ecosystem, then usually means that the user's Books
library (ePub and PDF files) is either stored on a Mac, and/or is
stored in iCloud.
2021-05-12 15:39:52 UTC
Translating from the native Phillipian to app requirements, you're
seeking iPadOS Safari and its in-built PDF Preview support to not to
render embedded or linked PDFs as one long, continuous webpage?
Right. Actually, for Safari that is OK, but I expected that the Adobe
PDF reader would have functionality on the iPad similar to that on other
platforms.
Post by Stephen Hoffman
If that's what you want, then the Books app (with vertical scrolling
disabled)
I have horizontal scrolling, but the point is that it isn't
instantaneous.
Post by Stephen Hoffman
and the PDF Expert app (select Annotate) can both provide PDF
per-page rendering, and tap-to-advance.
OK, that wasn't one of the eight I downloaded. I downloaded it, but
find no tap-to-advance. In any case, the price seems too high, even if
I could find it, for just this one feature.

It seems strange that one of the prominent options of all other PDF
readers on all other platforms is to page instantaneously, but that
doesn't seem to exist on the iPad (except via Books with the really tiny
icons).
Post by Stephen Hoffman
iPadOS Books page-scrolling defaults to left and right margin taps for
directional paging, but can be set so that taps to either left or right
margins advance by using Settings > Books.
Right, that means it pages only forward. That's not what I want. What
I want is that it pages instantaneously, not by sliding from one page to
the other (however quickly).
Stephen Hoffman
2021-05-12 16:28:33 UTC
That's not what I want. What I want is that it pages instantaneously,
not by sliding from one page to the other (however quickly).
Settings > Accessibility > Motion > Reduce Motion.
2021-05-12 18:51:20 UTC
That's not what I want. What I want is that it pages instantaneously,
not by sliding from one page to the other (however quickly).
Settings > Accessibility > Motion > Reduce Motion.
Found it but it has no effect. :-(