[OT] Languages and the metric system
Add Reply
Simon Clubley
2024-08-28 12:24:51 UTC
In the world of aviation, and that isn't such a small world, the standard is
English. If there is a pilot in the area that requests all communications are
in English, then that is the rule, at least as I remember it. That way everyone
knows what everyone else is saying, and doing.
Interesting you bring that up. Not directly related to language, but the
aviation world is now officially metric. It's just that for now, you are
allowed to keep the current units for legacy purposes.

So, even in aviation, the world is moving away from the US way of doing
things. :-)

For the record, I think it would be nice if the UK finally completed the
transition to purely metric for everything. It's moving in the right
direction but it is not yet there in important areas.
For the data, sure, it can be very important to have whatever is required. But
for the tag/token representing the data, not at all. Can you describe any
situation where Ascii is not sufficient for a filename? And then there is the
issue of sorting.
If you live in a country other than the one called the US. :-)

I have already given some examples from Norway. What about Germany ? What
are they supposed to do with document filenames ? Restrict themselves for
the convenience of the US ?

What about Asian countries with all their different types of language
systems ?

Your question above is an example of a _very_ US-centric way of thinking.

Simon.
Chris Townley
2024-08-28 12:42:41 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
In the world of aviation, and that isn't such a small world, the standard is
English. If there is a pilot in the area that requests all communications are
in English, then that is the rule, at least as I remember it. That way everyone
knows what everyone else is saying, and doing.
Interesting you bring that up. Not directly related to language, but the
aviation world is now officially metric. It's just that for now, you are
allowed to keep the current units for legacy purposes.
The aviation world is not metric.

In the UK we use feet for altitude, knots for speed, nautical miles for
distance, HectoPascals (millibars) for pressure, and gallons (UK or US)
or litres for fuel
Hardly metric!
Chris
Simon Clubley
2024-08-28 13:29:53 UTC
Post by Chris Townley
Post by Simon Clubley
In the world of aviation, and that isn't such a small world, the standard is
English. If there is a pilot in the area that requests all communications are
in English, then that is the rule, at least as I remember it. That way everyone
knows what everyone else is saying, and doing.
Interesting you bring that up. Not directly related to language, but the
aviation world is now officially metric. It's just that for now, you are
allowed to keep the current units for legacy purposes.
The aviation world is not metric.
Oh yes it most certainly is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Civil_Aviation_Organization#International_System_of_Units
Post by Chris Townley
In the UK we use feet for altitude, knots for speed, nautical miles for
distance, HectoPascals (millibars) for pressure, and gallons (UK or US)
or litres for fuel
Hardly metric!
Most of those are now considered to be legacy units. Read my comment
above again. :-)

Simon.
Chris Townley
2024-08-28 13:46:57 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Chris Townley
In the UK we use feet for altitude, knots for speed, nautical miles for
distance, HectoPascals (millibars) for pressure, and gallons (UK or US)
or litres for fuel
Hardly metric!
Most of those are now considered to be legacy units. Read my comment
above again. :-)
Simon.
All over the world there are very different units used. A few sort of
use metric, but often with their own vagaries
Chris
Scott Dorsey
2024-08-28 13:58:33 UTC
Post by Chris Townley
The aviation world is not metric.
In the UK we use feet for altitude, knots for speed, nautical miles for
distance, HectoPascals (millibars) for pressure, and gallons (UK or US)
or litres for fuel
Hardly metric!
Even the Airbus has engine temperatures in farenheit too. Although I was
amused to see the Antonov AN-2 had head temperatures in centigrade and
manifold pressure in mmHg.
--scott
John Dallman
2024-08-28 15:35:00 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
For the record, I think it would be nice if the UK finally
completed the transition to purely metric for everything.
Our recently ex-government held a consultation on reverting to Imperial
units for some consumer purposes. The response was very negative and the
idea was quietly abandoned.

John
Simon Clubley
2024-08-28 17:42:41 UTC
Post by John Dallman
Post by Simon Clubley
For the record, I think it would be nice if the UK finally
completed the transition to purely metric for everything.
Our recently ex-government held a consultation on reverting to Imperial
units for some consumer purposes. The response was very negative and the
idea was quietly abandoned.
I saw that and it was a very nice thing to see it was so strongly rejected.

With one major exception (see below[*]), long distances are still in
miles, but smaller distances tend to be purely metric. For example, it is
considered _very_ old fashioned by the people I interact with to say
a few yards instead of a few metres.

[*] That major exception are the Ordnance Survey maps. In a remarkable
piece of foresight very uncommon in this country, the OS finished the
conversion of all maps from imperial to metric units decades ago.

All OS maps today are purely metric. The OS coordinate system is also
purely metric and is _very_ nice to work with.

Simon.
Dave Froble
2024-08-29 01:45:20 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by John Dallman
Post by Simon Clubley
[...]
Then I'd get lost rather quickly ...

But, some consider me lost now ...

:-)
--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
Vanderbilt, PA 15486
Dave Froble
2024-08-29 01:39:19 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
[...]
Well, I do live there, and I don't get out much ...