OPC Syslog ?
issinoho
2021-06-01 11:53:01 UTC
I recently stumbled on this, which is exactly what I'm looking for, but there seems to be nothing else I can find on this. Does this exist? Commercial, Freeware? Download link?

https://openvmsworld.blogspot.com/2020/01/openvms-syslog-client-for-installation.html

Anyone know anything?

TIA.
Jilly
https://vmssoftware.com/products/syslogd/
Arne Vajhøj
2021-06-01 14:09:48 UTC
Post by Jilly
Post by issinoho
I recently stumbled on this, which is exactly what I'm looking for, but there
seems to be nothing else I can find on this. Does this exist? Commercial,
Freeware? Download link?
https://openvmsworld.blogspot.com/2020/01/openvms-syslog-client-for-installatio
n.html
Anyone know anything?
https://vmssoftware.com/products/syslogd/
I doubt that is the same.

That blog post says:

"OPC_SYSLOG is used to read OpenVMS OPCOM messages and to transfer them
to a SYSLOG server"

which is not the same as a syslogd server.

Arne
Marc Van Dyck
2021-06-01 15:48:17 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Jilly
Post by issinoho
I recently stumbled on this, which is exactly what I'm looking for, but there
seems to be nothing else I can find on this. Does this exist? Commercial,
Freeware? Download link?
https://openvmsworld.blogspot.com/2020/01/openvms-syslog-client-for-installatio
n.html
Anyone know anything?
https://vmssoftware.com/products/syslogd/
I doubt that is the same.
"OPC_SYSLOG is used to read OpenVMS OPCOM messages and to transfer them to a
SYSLOG server"
which is not the same as a syslogd server.
Arne
I have installed the SYSLOGD tool from VSI. I use it to transfer
selected audit messages to an alarming tool via the syslog protocol.
I think - if I remember well - that this tool can also be configured
to transfer OPC messages. I can't check for the moment, but I think
that the syslogd config file can contain instruction to transmit
messages from selected OPC classes. To be verified, but I'm almost
sure.
Marc Van Dyck
issinoho
Yeah, I've just installed syslogd and you're 100% correct, it can do this. Thanks!
issinoho
It looks like syslogd can broadcast received syslog messages via OPCOM, which is the opposite of what the originally linked utility (apparently) does.
Paul Coviello
2024-06-07 00:46:46 UTC
Post by Jilly
Post by issinoho
I recently stumbled on this, which is exactly what I'm looking for, but there
seems to be nothing else I can find on this. Does this exist? Commercial,
Freeware? Download link?
https://openvmsworld.blogspot.com/2020/01/openvms-syslog-client-for-installatio
n.html
Anyone know anything?
TIA.
https://vmssoftware.com/products/syslogd/
hi the link for VSI doesn't work above though if you go to community
freeware you can find it there from 2018. now on to my question I set
this up today and I'm a little baffled how the log files get populated.
I also did OPCOM too. could someone post what the config file looks like
please

thanks
Paul