VSI webinar June 6th
Arne Vajhøj
2024-05-09 17:19:51 UTC
For those that has not seen the invite.

Camiel will talk about VMS x86-64 supported configs and
porting tools.

Norman Lastovica (current SCI, previous Oracle, previous DEC)
will talk about migration experiences.

It is not on https://vmssoftware.com/about/webinars/ yet,
but I assume that it will show up in good time.

Arne
Simon Clubley
2024-05-10 12:33:46 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
For those that has not seen the invite.
Camiel will talk about VMS x86-64 supported configs and
porting tools.
Norman Lastovica (current SCI, previous Oracle, previous DEC)
will talk about migration experiences.
It is not on https://vmssoftware.com/about/webinars/ yet,
but I assume that it will show up in good time.
Arne
I saw the invite. "Learnings" ???? Seriously ? :-)

Simon.

PS: I wonder if we will find out how the Rdb port is coming along.
Hans Bachner
2024-05-10 13:57:25 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Arne Vajhøj
For those that has not seen the invite.
Camiel will talk about VMS x86-64 supported configs and
porting tools.
Norman Lastovica (current SCI, previous Oracle, previous DEC)
will talk about migration experiences.
It is not on https://vmssoftware.com/about/webinars/ yet,
but I assume that it will show up in good time.
Arne
I saw the invite. "Learnings" ???? Seriously ? :-)
Simon.
PS: I wonder if we will find out how the Rdb port is coming along.
Oracle is not presenting in this webinar. They are the only party to
reliably comment on this topic.

Hans.
Arne Vajhøj
2024-05-10 14:14:29 UTC
Post by Hans Bachner
Post by Simon Clubley
PS: I wonder if we will find out how the Rdb port is coming along.
Oracle is not presenting in this webinar. They are the only party to
reliably comment on this topic.
I have not seen anything newer than what Oracle said in October:

<quote>
ORACLE : VMS PRODUCT NEWS KEVIN DUFFY (SENIOR DIRECTOR, SOFTWARE
DEVELOPMENT) Kevin gave us an update on Oracle's database
products for VMS, starting with a review of relations with VSI
which are regular and multi-level: daily contacts between
engineers, management meetings every two months and specific
engineering meetings on x86 porting.
For new developments, priority is given to Rdb and DBMS kits
for x86. The development environment is moving from VMS on Oracle
VirtualBox (easier for development & tests) to VMS on Oracle
Linux KVM (OLVM, selected for production) and cross-compilers
will soon be replaced by native VMS compilers. Progress is
illustrated by figures on testing and the arrival of native
compilers enables tests to be extended. The main dev compiler
(Bliss) has just arrived in native version. DBMS which shares
its core with Rdb is advancing at the same pace and may be
released earlier.
Rdb in the Oracle cloud: The transition to Oracle KVM as a
hypervisor will make it possible to run VMS & Rdb in the
Oracle cloud.
The licensing principle for Rdb on x86 will be the samealready
known for Oracle Enterprise Edition, with a core-factor of
0.5: according to the formula "nb licenses = nb cores x core-factor".
Other Oracle licensing modes (such as named user) are maintained on x86.
Codasyl/DBMS is currently being ported..
There are currently no plans for a "Free" version of Rdb for
personal & free use (as exists for Oracle 23c, with limitations).
Roadmap : a beta kit of Rdb on x86 could arrive in the fi
rst part of 2024 if porting problems are resolved. The same date
will see a DMBS beta kit, but with greater probability.
</quote>

http://www.vmsgenerations.fr/wp-content/plugins/pdfjs-viewer-shortcode/pdfjs/web/viewer.php?file=/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/CR-rdv-17-oct-2023-EN.pdf

Which sounds OK, but "first part of 2024" is pretty close. :-)

Arne
John Dallman
2024-05-21 19:21:00 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
It is not on https://vmssoftware.com/about/webinars/ yet,
but I assume that it will show up in good time.
Still not there, but it showed up on LinkedIn, with a registration link.
<https://www.linkedin.com/posts/vms-software-inc-_camiel-vanderhoeven-will
-provide-an-update-activity-7194396919291359234-ccPf/>

John