Python x86-64
Arne Vajhøj
2024-04-09 01:15:27 UTC
https://vmssoftware.com/products/python/

X86VMS-PYTHON-A0310-0-REL008-1.ZIP

Arne
Arne Vajhøj
2024-04-09 01:27:38 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
https://vmssoftware.com/products/python/
X86VMS-PYTHON-A0310-0-REL008-1.ZIP
$ python
Python 3.10.0 (default, Feb 21 2024, 05:22:10) [C] on OpenVMS
Post by Arne Vajhøj
print('Hello world!')
Hello world!
Arne
Arne Vajhøj
2024-04-09 01:34:22 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Arne Vajhøj
https://vmssoftware.com/products/python/
X86VMS-PYTHON-A0310-0-REL008-1.ZIP
$ python
Python 3.10.0 (default, Feb 21 2024, 05:22:10) [C] on OpenVMS
Post by Arne Vajhøj
print('Hello world!')
Hello world!
Post by Arne Vajhøj
import rdb
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/python$root/lib/python3.10/rdb.py", line 1, in <module>
from _rdb import *
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_rdb'

Looks like Rdb is expected (but obviously not ready yet).

Arne
Chris Townley
2024-04-09 10:48:44 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
https://vmssoftware.com/products/python/
X86VMS-PYTHON-A0310-0-REL008-1.ZIP
Arne
The laugh is that, according to the release notes, it will not run on
the CL VMDK, as that doesn't have 9.2-2 update 1
Chris
Single Stage to Orbit
2024-04-09 11:09:14 UTC
Post by Chris Townley
The laugh is that, according to the release notes, it will not run on
the CL VMDK, as that doesn't have 9.2-2 update 1
Oh dear. I hope they relent and provide updates.
Tactical Nuclear Kittens
Simon Clubley
2024-04-09 12:49:33 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
https://vmssoftware.com/products/python/
X86VMS-PYTHON-A0310-0-REL008-1.ZIP
Good news.

I wonder how long it will be before someone asks for Python 2.7 on VMS ? :-)

Simon.
Single Stage to Orbit
2024-04-09 13:10:59 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
I wonder how long it will be before someone asks for Python 2.7 on VMS ? :-)
I really hope not. We should have migrated to 3.x by now, it's been 10
years.
Tactical Nuclear Kittens
Single Stage to Orbit
2024-04-10 15:58:29 UTC
Post by Single Stage to Orbit
Post by Simon Clubley
I wonder how long it will be before someone asks for Python 2.7 on VMS ? :-)
I really hope not. We should have migrated to 3.x by now, it's been
10 years.
I know what I said but I just got bit in the arse with a software
package that still needed Python 2.7. I just don't have the time to
update it to use Python 3.x. <roll eyes>
Tactical Nuclear Kittens
Simon Clubley
2024-04-10 17:26:36 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
I wonder how long it will be before someone asks for Python 2.7 on VMS ? :-)
I really hope not. We should have migrated to 3.x by now, it's been
10 years.
I know what I said but I just got bit in the arse with a software
package that still needed Python 2.7. I just don't have the time to
update it to use Python 3.x. <roll eyes>
There is a Python 2 to Python 3 conversion script as part of Python 3,
but it is not perfect. The thing it got wrong for me was when it converted
code that issues a prompt and then waits for input without an intermediate
CRLF.

Simon.
Single Stage to Orbit
2024-04-10 23:28:37 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Single Stage to Orbit
I know what I said but I just got bit in the arse with a software
package that still needed Python 2.7. I just don't have the time to
update it to use Python 3.x. <roll eyes>
There is a Python 2 to Python 3 conversion script as part of Python
3, but it is not perfect. The thing it got wrong for me was when it
converted code that issues a prompt and then waits for input without
an intermediate CRLF.
Nice one, thanks, I will give that a try at some point and maybe send
patches upstream for the package.
Tactical Nuclear Kittens
Arne Vajhøj
2024-04-09 19:30:13 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Arne Vajhøj
https://vmssoftware.com/products/python/
X86VMS-PYTHON-A0310-0-REL008-1.ZIP
Good news.
I wonder how long it will be before someone asks for Python 2.7 on VMS ? :-)
It exist on VMS Alpha and VMS Itanium.

Will probably never exist on VMS x86-64.

In CPython flavor that is.

Jython 2.7 has run fine on VMS x86-64 since Java became
available.

$ python
Python 3.10.0 (default, Feb 21 2024, 05:22:10) [C] on OpenVMS
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Arne Vajhøj
print "hi"
File "<stdin>", line 1
print "hi"
^^^^^^^^^^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean
print(...)?
$ jython
org.python WARNING console: Failed to install
'org.python.util.InteractiveConsole': does not implement interface
org.python.core.Con
sole.
Jython 2.7.3 (tags/v2.7.3:5f29801fe, Sep 10 2022, 18:52:49)
[OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (VMS Software, Inc)] on java1.8.0_372
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Arne Vajhøj
print "hi"
hi