VMS Boot Camp Announced Ocr23-25, 2024
John H. Reinhardt
2024-07-10 14:41:18 UTC
I got an email today from VSI announcing a new OpenVMS Boot Camp this fall.
Dear Customers and Partners,
We are excited to announce the upcoming VMS Software Bootcamp, scheduled to take place in Boston from October 23-25, 2024. This event will bring together the VMS community to share knowledge, discuss future plans, and explore tips and tricks in the world of VMS.
The Bootcamp will feature multiple tracks, including business, programming, and system management. Each track will offer several presentations and workshops designed to cater to different levels of expertise. We are also considering full-time onsite VMS training, provided there is sufficient interest, and the revival of some beloved traditions such as the Birds of a Feather sessions and the story contest.
More detailed information and sign-up forms will be shared once we have an agreement with the venue. For now, please mark these dates in your calendar and stay tuned for further updates.
We look forward to seeing you at the Bootcamp!
Best regards,
VMS Software, Inc.
John H. Reinhardt
Simon Clubley
2024-07-11 12:09:58 UTC
Post by John H. Reinhardt
I got an email today from VSI announcing a new OpenVMS Boot Camp this fall.
Dear Customers and Partners,
We are excited to announce the upcoming VMS Software Bootcamp, scheduled to take place in Boston from October 23-25, 2024. This event will bring together the VMS community to share knowledge, discuss future plans, and explore tips and tricks in the world of VMS.
Hmmm, the week before the US election. Make sure to take your riot
protection gear with you... :-)

On a more positive note, it will be interesting to watch the recordings
of the sessions which take place.

Simon.
Arne Vajhøj
2024-07-12 00:00:08 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by John H. Reinhardt
I got an email today from VSI announcing a new OpenVMS Boot Camp this fall.
Dear Customers and Partners,
We are excited to announce the upcoming VMS Software Bootcamp, scheduled to take place in Boston from October 23-25, 2024. This event will bring together the VMS community to share knowledge, discuss future plans, and explore tips and tricks in the world of VMS.
Hmmm, the week before the US election. Make sure to take your riot
protection gear with you... :-)
Two weeks before.

And I really don't see any reason to expect riots in Boston that week or
two weeks later.

But maybe bring brown bags. To have something to vomit in - in case
one turn on a TV and get to see political ads.

Arne
Simon Clubley
2024-07-12 12:07:25 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by John H. Reinhardt
I got an email today from VSI announcing a new OpenVMS Boot Camp this fall.
Dear Customers and Partners,
We are excited to announce the upcoming VMS Software Bootcamp, scheduled to take place in Boston from October 23-25, 2024. This event will bring together the VMS community to share knowledge, discuss future plans, and explore tips and tricks in the world of VMS.
Hmmm, the week before the US election. Make sure to take your riot
protection gear with you... :-)
Two weeks before.
And I really don't see any reason to expect riots in Boston that week or
two weeks later.
Recent history on both sides of the political spectrum in the US does not
exactly fill me with confidence in this area.
Post by Arne Vajhøj
But maybe bring brown bags. To have something to vomit in - in case
one turn on a TV and get to see political ads.
Now _that_ I agree with. :-)

Simon.
Robert A. Brooks
2024-07-12 13:15:07 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Arne Vajhøj
And I really don't see any reason to expect riots in Boston that week or
two weeks later.
Recent history on both sides of the political spectrum in the US does not
exactly fill me with confidence in this area.
Given that Massachusetts (and Boston, specifically) are solidly in the Biden camp,
I suspect there won't be a lot of ads airing near the election.

Both sides will be spending their advertising money in the six states where the election
is actually up for grabs.
-- Rob
Arne Vajhøj
2024-07-12 13:30:01 UTC
Post by Robert A. Brooks
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Arne Vajhøj
And I really don't see any reason to expect riots in Boston that week or
two weeks later.
Recent history on both sides of the political spectrum in the US does not
exactly fill me with confidence in this area.
Given that Massachusetts (and Boston, specifically) are solidly in the Biden camp,
I suspect there won't be a lot of ads airing near the election.
Both sides will be spending their advertising money in the six states where the election
is actually up for grabs.
I suspect they will find a few dollars for the strong leaning
states as well.

The Rhode Island airwaves are already full of ads for the presidential
candidate raised in Massachusetts. :-)

But even if ads for US president will be limited, then you still have
US congress and all the local elections. Healey is not up, but state
house & senate, mayors, city councils, school councils etc.etc..

Arne
Chris Townley
2024-07-12 13:50:00 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Robert A. Brooks
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Arne Vajhøj
[...]
Who is following Alice Cooper?
Chris
Hans Bachner
2024-07-14 19:12:02 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
And I really don't see any reason to expect riots in Boston that
week or two weeks later.
[...]
I'd appreciate if those wanting to discuss the U.S. elections could do
this in a separate thread, or - even better - in a different group.

Please keep this thread dedicated to the Boot Camp.

@VSI: thanks for reactivating this great event! Can*t await more details...

Hans,

Rich Alderson
2024-07-12 00:59:24 UTC
We are excited to announce the upcoming VMS Software Bootcamp, scheduled to
take place in Boston from October 23-25, 2024. This event will bring
together the VMS community to share knowledge, discuss future plans, and
explore tips and tricks in the world of VMS.
Hmmm, the week before the US election. Make sure to take your riot protection
gear with you... :-)
That's two weeks, by my reading of the calendar...
--
Rich Alderson ***@alderson.users.panix.com
Audendum est, et veritas investiganda; quam etiamsi non assequamur,