Regarding VMS on a VAX. Just curious...
Bill Gunshannon
2020-05-06 16:37:29 UTC
Were the later (say V6.0 onward) VMS versions for the VAX actually
built on a VAX or were they cross-compiled on something else?

bill
Arne Vajhøj
2020-05-06 17:46:29 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Were the later (say V6.0 onward) VMS versions for the VAX actually
built on a VAX or were they cross-compiled on something else?
Are you asking whether DEC moved VMS VAX builds to
a VMS Alpha machine using some not public released
cross compilers?

I wonder whether a VMS VAX compiler could be VEST'ed.

Arne
Bill Gunshannon
2020-05-06 17:55:19 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Were the later (say V6.0 onward) VMS versions for the VAX actually
built on a VAX or were they cross-compiled on something else?
Are you asking whether DEC moved VMS VAX builds to
a VMS Alpha machine using some not public released
cross compilers?
Not necessarily Alpha. Just wondered if VAX VMS was built on a VAX.

bill
abrsvc
IRRC most of the original images were created on the VAX for the Alpha systems. TheVAX cluster was still there for the builds as far as I know. The build cluster was relocated to India from Spitbrook too.
Marc Van Dyck
2020-05-06 20:16:45 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Were the later (say V6.0 onward) VMS versions for the VAX actually
built on a VAX or were they cross-compiled on something else?
Are you asking whether DEC moved VMS VAX builds to
a VMS Alpha machine using some not public released
cross compilers?
Not necessarily Alpha. Just wondered if VAX VMS was built on a VAX.
bill
Yes it was. And most of the tools that were initially developped for
that usage ended up as layered products, and those that didn't, later
became freeware (think SDL, for example). Even OPS5 was used internally
to automate builds before it became a released product.
Marc Van Dyck
Bill Gunshannon
2020-05-06 22:34:47 UTC
Post by Marc Van Dyck
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Were the later (say V6.0 onward) VMS versions for the VAX actually
built on a VAX or were they cross-compiled on something else?
Are you asking whether DEC moved VMS VAX builds to
a VMS Alpha machine using some not public released
cross compilers?
Not necessarily Alpha. Just wondered if VAX VMS was built on a VAX.
bill
Yes it was. And most of the tools that were initially developped for
that usage ended up as layered products, and those that didn't, later
became freeware (think SDL, for example). Even OPS5 was used internally
to automate builds before it became a released product.
So then, that brings up another question. Even though they have
no plans to have anything to do with the VAX, does the license
they have from HP specifically preclude their doing a VSI VAX
Version of VMS? If not, all we need is a volunteer to go to
VSI HQ with a Small VAX in the backseat of their car to make
one single run of the compile with the only change being the
Banner. Then VSI could release it as a Hobbyist Version and
issue one perpetual PAK. Just sayin..... :-)

bill
Robert A. Brooks
2020-05-06 23:20:18 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
So then, that brings up another question. Even though they have
no plans to have anything to do with the VAX, does the license
they have from HP specifically preclude their doing a VSI VAX
Version of VMS?
This question has no doubt been answered in this forum (probably by me)
before.

We have the rights to all the VMS sources, so we could release
a VAX version.

It's not going to happen.
-- Rob
John H. Reinhardt
2020-05-07 00:09:14 UTC
Post by Robert A. Brooks
Post by Bill Gunshannon
So then, that brings up another question. Even though they have
no plans to have anything to do with the VAX, does the license
they have from HP specifically preclude their doing a VSI VAX
Version of VMS?
This question has no doubt been answered in this forum (probably by me)
before.
I know you've said before it won't happen so that's not news.
Post by Robert A. Brooks
We have the rights to all the VMS sources, so we could release
a VAX version.
This is news to most of us, I believe. We have been assuming that VSI did not get the VAX rights.
Post by Robert A. Brooks
It's not going to happen.
That's too bad. I assume it's probably a resource (personnel, not hardware since emulators could do the compiling if necessary) and/or ROI thing or perhaps some other technical issue us in the outside world don't know about.
John H. Reinhardt
Bill Gunshannon
2020-05-07 01:08:43 UTC
Post by Robert A. Brooks
Post by Bill Gunshannon
So then, that brings up another question. Even though they have
no plans to have anything to do with the VAX, does the license
they have from HP specifically preclude their doing a VSI VAX
Version of VMS?
This question has no doubt been answered in this forum (probably by me)
before.
We have the rights to all the VMS sources, so we could release
a VAX version.
It's not going to happen.
But that was why I said you needed a volunteer. I am sure VSI is a
little busy to waste any time at all on VAX. :-)

bill
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-07 07:50:29 UTC
What about a LICENSE, as opposed to a VERSION?
Bill Gunshannon
2020-05-07 12:51:44 UTC
Post by Robert A. Brooks
We have the rights to all the VMS sources, so we could release
a VAX version.
It's not going to happen.
What about a LICENSE, as opposed to a VERSION?
My understanding is VSI can't do a license if they don't do a version.

bill
Arne Vajhøj
2020-05-07 14:42:42 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Post by Robert A. Brooks
We have the rights to all the VMS sources, so we could release
a VAX version.
It's not going to happen.
What about a LICENSE, as opposed to a VERSION?
My understanding is VSI can't do a license if they don't do a version.
That would be the default situation.

If I write 100 lines of Fortran code SuperDuper.for
and sell SuperDuper.exe for 5 dollars, you give me
25 dollars for the right to use the code for whatever
you want and you modify it to EvenBetter.for and sell
EvenBetter.exe for 5 dollars, then you do not have the right
to sell (or give away) licenses for my SuperDuper.exe.

Arne
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
It depends on the terms of the license.
Arne Vajhøj
2020-05-08 00:27:28 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
If I write 100 lines of Fortran code SuperDuper.for
and sell SuperDuper.exe for 5 dollars, you give me
25 dollars for the right to use the code for whatever
you want and you modify it to EvenBetter.for and sell
EvenBetter.exe for 5 dollars, then you do not have the right
to sell (or give away) licenses for my SuperDuper.exe.
It depends on the terms of the license.
In this case "right to use the code for whatever
you want" which does not include distributing
the EXE.

We know that HPE gave VSI a license to the VMS
source code.

It seems very unlikely that the license would
have a paragraph "VSI can sell or give away
a specific HPE product".

Arne
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-09 06:09:51 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Arne Vajhøj
If I write 100 lines of Fortran code SuperDuper.for
and sell SuperDuper.exe for 5 dollars, you give me
25 dollars for the right to use the code for whatever
you want and you modify it to EvenBetter.for and sell
EvenBetter.exe for 5 dollars, then you do not have the right
to sell (or give away) licenses for my SuperDuper.exe.
It depends on the terms of the license.
In this case "right to use the code for whatever
you want" which does not include distributing
the EXE.
Does anyone here know the terms of the license HPE has for VAX?
Post by Arne Vajhøj
We know that HPE gave VSI a license to the VMS
source code.
It seems very unlikely that the license would
have a paragraph "VSI can sell or give away
a specific HPE product".
That is one question. However, the main question is whether e LICENSE
can be issued---no distribution of the OS or any executable.
Arne Vajhøj
2020-05-09 13:16:12 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
We know that HPE gave VSI a license to the VMS
source code.
It seems very unlikely that the license would
have a paragraph "VSI can sell or give away
a specific HPE product".
That is one question. However, the main question is whether e LICENSE
can be issued---no distribution of the OS or any executable.
In this regard the license is really the product.

But we can add it explicit:

It seems very unlikely that the license would
have a paragraph "VSI can sell or give away
licenses for a specific HPE product".

Arne
Scott Dorsey
2020-05-09 13:36:03 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
It seems very unlikely that the license would
have a paragraph "VSI can sell or give away
licenses for a specific HPE product".
As I have said before, the easiest solution for HPE is to issue a small
communique permitting transfer of Vax and Alpha licenses. There are lots
of PAKs floating around out there, they just aren't legal for anyone to use.
--scott
Arne Vajhøj
2020-05-09 13:45:33 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Arne Vajhøj
It seems very unlikely that the license would
have a paragraph "VSI can sell or give away
licenses for a specific HPE product".
As I have said before, the easiest solution for HPE is to issue a small
communique permitting transfer of Vax and Alpha licenses. There are lots
of PAKs floating around out there, they just aren't legal for anyone to use.
HPE could do something.

Question is: why would they?

My gut feeling is that there will be nobody within HPE with
the authority to approve such a step that know what VMS is.

Arne
Dave Froble
2020-05-09 16:55:40 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by Arne Vajhøj
It seems very unlikely that the license would
have a paragraph "VSI can sell or give away
licenses for a specific HPE product".
As I have said before, the easiest solution for HPE is to issue a small
communique permitting transfer of Vax and Alpha licenses. There are lots
of PAKs floating around out there, they just aren't legal for anyone to use.
HPE could do something.
Question is: why would they?
My gut feeling is that there will be nobody within HPE with
the authority to approve such a step that know what VMS is.
Arne
HP knows enough about VMS to want to get rid of it.

Why would HP do anything to allow people to still use the HP releases?
Well for one thing, it would allow them to also get rid of the customers
who could be asking them for rights to use in the future. It would be
part of "getting rid" of the product.
--
David Froble Tel: 724-529-0450
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
Vanderbilt, PA 15486
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-09 17:47:01 UTC
Post by Dave Froble
Why would HP do anything to allow people to still use the HP releases?
Well, they are actually Compaq or even DEC releases, at least in some
cases. :-)
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-09 14:21:10 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
As I have said before, the easiest solution for HPE is to issue a small
communique permitting transfer of Vax and Alpha licenses. There are lots
of PAKs floating around out there, they just aren't legal for anyone to use.
If they could do that, they could probably issue a non-expiring license,
perhaps just one for everyone.
John H. Reinhardt
2020-05-09 19:36:19 UTC
If they could do that, they could probably issue a non-expiring license,
perhaps just one for everyone.
here I am getting involved again...

There might just be a problem with the "issue a non-expiring VAX license". I don't know if they can be that specific. People who have never seen a Hobbyist PAK might not know, but they issue a PAK that works on both VAX and ALPHA. For Itanium they issue a different PAK. I've looked at a lot of PAKs over the years and I've looked at the source for that un-named pirate program and I'm not sure they could generate one for the VAX that would only work on a VAX. The VAX OS ones might be possible but don't forget the layered products. I don't think the names are unique enough to make them VAX specific. And a VAX without BASIC, COBOL, FORTRAN, etc wouldn't be much fun.
John H. Reinhardt
David Goodwin
2020-05-10 03:01:13 UTC
Post by John H. Reinhardt
There might just be a problem with the "issue a non-expiring VAX license". I don't know if they can be that specific. People who have never seen a Hobbyist PAK might not know, but they issue a PAK that works on both VAX and ALPHA. For Itanium they issue a different PAK. I've looked at a lot of PAKs over the years and I've looked at the source for that un-named pirate program and I'm not sure they could generate one for the VAX that would only work on a VAX. The VAX OS ones might be possible but don't forget the layered products. I don't think the names are unique enough to make them VAX specific. And a VAX without BASIC, COBOL, FORTRAN, etc wouldn't be much fun.
Is it really a problem if it covers Alpha too? Why not issue non-expiring Alpha and Itanium licenses at the same time? Those HPE releases are going to be just as abandoned as VAX is soon.

If the license is still strictly for non-commercial/hobbyist use only then whats the difference from the current yearly hobbyist licenses really?

All I can see that really changes is less work for the people at HPE who currently send out the hobbyist licenses. Just send out a single identical set of PAKs to everyone who has received a hobbyist license in the last few years (just use the same list of addresses as for that hobbyist program ending email they sent a little while back) and job done.

Presumably who ever authorized the extended licenses they're currently handing out is in a position to authorize non-expiring licenses. And its less work than what they're doing now so saves a bit of money and lets them wind up the hobbyist program sooner.

Anyone know someone at HPE who could be convinced to save OpenVMS VAX from the fate of Ultrix and Tru64? Perhaps some of the VSI folks know who to talk to at HPE?

I'd really like to keep my VAXen running the operating system they were built to run...
j***@yahoo.co.uk
2020-05-10 18:37:11 UTC
Post by John H. Reinhardt
[...]
(Not particularly directed at John R)

A software license is largely a legal concept. Licence terms, and the things which can legally be done with the software, may vary for the same product in different jurisdictions. Sometimes the courts (try to) overrule what the vendor licences want to enforce.

Any given PAK probably doesn't know much about lawyers and legalese. A PAK is probably not a legal license as such, it may not even be "proof of license". Some PAKs, but probably not all, might be compared in some ways with the "modern" concept of a Certificate of Authenticity (and/or the associated Product Key).

Does the difference matter in the context of this discussion?
Dave Froble
2020-05-11 01:13:26 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.co.uk
Post by John H. Reinhardt
[...]
In the context of this discussion, there are several issues.

I've taken heat for my attitude more than once, but, my opinion is that
if an act is not going to draw the ire of anyone, then it is Ok.

If not, then the descendants of the guy that invented the wheel should
own the planet.

Or as we say on the basketball court in a pickup game, "no blood, no foul".

Another issue is the why of the action. If one is going to take someone
else's proprietary information and use it to make money, sell it, and
such, that's a bit different then for personal use.
Vanderbilt, PA 15486
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-11 09:21:29 UTC
Post by Dave Froble
I've taken heat for my attitude more than once, but, my opinion is that
if an act is not going to draw the ire of anyone, then it is Ok.
Two things to keep in mind: it might not draw any ire towards you, but
might to someone else. Also, any ire might come years later, again
possibly affecting others but not you. It is also possible that you
don't notice any ire, but there are consequences for similar projects
based on a precedent.

Wasn't there some issue with Mentec licenses for PDPs? Some people
abused the hobbyist licenses then they were revoked for everyone or
something like that.
Morally, yes; legally, not necessarily.
Bill Gunshannon
2020-05-11 12:30:04 UTC
Post by Dave Froble
I've taken heat for my attitude more than once, but, my opinion is that
if an act is not going to draw the ire of anyone, then it is Ok.
Two things to keep in mind: it might not draw any ire towards you, but
might to someone else. Also, any ire might come years later, again
possibly affecting others but not you. It is also possible that you
don't notice any ire, but there are consequences for similar projects
based on a precedent.
Wasn't there some issue with Mentec licenses for PDPs? Some people
abused the hobbyist licenses then they were revoked for everyone or
something like that.
Actually, a usable Mentec Hobbyist License never came about. A
number of us believed the reason was the publicly stated cavalier
attitude of many of the PDP-11 hobbyists at the time. Mentec never
said why they stopped discussing a Hobbyist License so you can
believe whatever you want. Of course, there was also the obvious
total disdain for the only license Mentec ever did come out with
which pretty much enforces the cavalier attitude notion.
Post by Dave Froble
Another issue is the why of the action. If one is going to take someone
else's proprietary information and use it to make money, sell it, and
such, that's a bit different then for personal use.
Morally, yes; legally, not necessarily.
Not even morally. If I steal from you but you are not aware of it, does
that make it morally acceptable? Ring of Gyges?

bill
Dave Froble
2020-05-11 15:18:11 UTC
Post by Dave Froble
Another issue is the why of the action. If one is going to take someone
else's proprietary information and use it to make money, sell it, and
such, that's a bit different then for personal use.
Morally, yes; legally, not necessarily.
Not even morally. If I steal from you but you are not aware of it, does
that make it morally acceptable? Ring of Gyges?
Bill. Do you use any wheels? If so, how much have you paid to the
descendants of the inventor?
Vanderbilt, PA 15486
Bill Gunshannon
2020-05-11 15:56:32 UTC
Post by Dave Froble
Another issue is the why of the action.  If one is going to take
someone
else's proprietary information and use it to make money, sell it, and
such, that's a bit different then for personal use.
Morally, yes; legally, not necessarily.
Not even morally.  If I steal from you but you are not aware of it, does
that make it morally acceptable?  Ring of Gyges?
Bill.  Do you use any wheels?  If so, how much have you paid to the
descendants of the inventor?
Dave,
Even if there had been a legal system or a patent office or
a copyright office or any of the stuff used to protect IP at
the time the wheel was invented it would have fallen into the
public domain over 8000 years ago. Like I said, in another
post, people are very good at rationalizing their behavior.
Even to the extent of using absurd examples.

bill
Dave Froble
2020-05-11 17:44:29 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Post by Dave Froble
Post by Dave Froble
Another issue is the why of the action. If one is going to take someone
else's proprietary information and use it to make money, sell it, and
such, that's a bit different then for personal use.
Morally, yes; legally, not necessarily.
Not even morally. If I steal from you but you are not aware of it, does
that make it morally acceptable? Ring of Gyges?
Bill. Do you use any wheels? If so, how much have you paid to the
descendants of the inventor?
Dave,
Even if there had been a legal system or a patent office or
a copyright office or any of the stuff used to protect IP at
the time the wheel was invented it would have fallen into the
public domain over 8000 years ago. Like I said, in another
post, people are very good at rationalizing their behavior.
Even to the extent of using absurd examples.
bill
You've talked about "morals". That doesn't have much to do with
"legal", and so just might be relevant when legal isn't.

While it may be a long time, who defines "long time" when it comes to
"morals"? Such could have an effect on your definitions for "morals".
If so, then we're left with "legal".

If we're down to "legal", that sort of depends on who won the last war,
huh? One might think that that type of "legal" shoots a few more holes
into "morals", as presented by you.

I'm thinking that "rationalizing" goes both directions, and "absurd" is
used in a manner to refute opposing opinions.

But enough, I've got some "real" work this week.
Vanderbilt, PA 15486
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-11 12:56:39 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Post by Dave Froble
Another issue is the why of the action. If one is going to take someone
else's proprietary information and use it to make money, sell it, and
such, that's a bit different then for personal use.
Morally, yes; legally, not necessarily.
Not even morally. If I steal from you but you are not aware of it, does
that make it morally acceptable? Ring of Gyges?
Not morally acceptable, but perhaps morally different. There is a
difference between murder and manslaughter, though both look the same to
the victim.
Bill Gunshannon
2020-05-11 13:11:33 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Post by Dave Froble
Another issue is the why of the action. If one is going to take someone
else's proprietary information and use it to make money, sell it, and
such, that's a bit different then for personal use.
Morally, yes; legally, not necessarily.
Not even morally. If I steal from you but you are not aware of it, does
that make it morally acceptable? Ring of Gyges?
Not morally acceptable, but perhaps morally different. There is a
difference between murder and manslaughter, though both look the same to
the victim.
And there are different "levels" of murder. Some might argue that it
is all just semantics. Like the 5th Commandment from the Bible. Has
now become "Thou shalt not kill" when in fact it actually is "Thou shalt
not do murder". Two very different concepts. Man has always been very
good at rationalizing his actions to meet his own wishes.

bill
Scott Dorsey
2020-07-04 17:14:18 UTC
A software license is largely a legal concept. Licence terms, and the thing=
s which can legally be done with the software, may vary for the same produc=
t in different jurisdictions. Sometimes the courts (try to) overrule what t=
he vendor licences want to enforce.=20
Right. So if you were to get a court order from a judge permitting the
transfer of PAKs and overruling the line in the contract on the PAK that
prohibits it, the vax licensing problems would go away.

And my suspicion is that if one were to take HPE to small claims court
requesting invalidation of that line, that HPE would likely not even send
a representative because they don't really care about the vax product.

But until someone actually does that, we have to abide by the rules in
the contract.
--scott
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-07-04 17:30:22 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
A software license is largely a legal concept. Licence terms, and the thing=
s which can legally be done with the software, may vary for the same produc=
t in different jurisdictions. Sometimes the courts (try to) overrule what t=
he vendor licences want to enforce.=20
Right. So if you were to get a court order from a judge permitting the
transfer of PAKs and overruling the line in the contract on the PAK that
prohibits it, the vax licensing problems would go away.
And my suspicion is that if one were to take HPE to small claims court
requesting invalidation of that line, that HPE would likely not even send
a representative because they don't really care about the vax product.
But until someone actually does that, we have to abide by the rules in
the contract.
Right. And even if a court did rule that way, it would probably apply
only to the person who went to court.
Scott Dorsey
2020-07-04 18:25:03 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
[...]
Not in the US, where we have a common law system and where that decision can
be treated as a precident. Mind you, it's not that hard to overturn a weak
precident like that, but my sneaking suspicion is that HPE would have no real
interest in doing so.

This may not be the case in Germany... I know it certainly is not in France.
--scott
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-09 13:35:13 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
That is one question. However, the main question is whether a LICENSE
can be issued---no distribution of the OS or any executable.
In this regard the license is really the product.
It seems very unlikely that the license would
have a paragraph "VSI can sell or give away
licenses for a specific HPE product".
That might be the case; perhaps someone here could clarify. In any
case, it wouldn't suffer from the technical restrictions which habe been
discussed here recently.
Andy Burns
2020-05-07 14:32:20 UTC
Heh, not even a golden anniversary version in October 2027 :-P
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-07 21:29:08 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Robert A. Brooks
We have the rights to all the VMS sources, so we could release
a VAX version.
It's not going to happen.
Heh, not even a golden anniversary version in October 2027 :-P
And I still have the VAX/VMS at 20 bumper sticker on my car. :-)

I picked up three when I made a pilgrimage up to Nashua in 1999. I'll
probably by a new car within the next three years or so, so when I am 90
(when I plan to stop driving), there will probably still be such a
bumper sticker on my car. Of course, that car will probably have more
memory and CPU power than all of my VAXen combined. :-)
Stephen Hoffman
2020-05-07 15:52:09 UTC
So then, that brings up another question. Even though they have no
plans to have anything to do with the VAX, does the license they have
from HP specifically preclude their doing a VSI VAX Version of VMS?
This question has no doubt been answered in this forum (probably by me) before.
We have the rights to all the VMS sources, so we could release a VAX version.
It's not going to happen.
Dumping comments from several different threads here.

=

Why no OpenVMS VAX build? OpenVMS VAX was ~60,000 source modules and
the associated compilers and build tools and the rest, and a very large
and complex build environment, separate from that of OpenVMS Alpha and
OpenVMS I64 (and likely also from x86-64), and dependencies on cluster
setup and queues and other details, and the last full system rebuild
was performed ~2001, and that cluster and any follow-on cluster no
longer exist, and I'd wager that the migration has had tools and pieces
disappear. So... not something to knock together quickly. it took me a
couple of weeks to port the OpenVMS Alpha build environment to a test
cluster, and that was when all of the tooling was actively maintained
and directly available. After ~20 years and organizational churn,
effort involved will be higher. And new VAX chips date back ~25 years.

The market for VAX updates is smaller than the market for
OpenVMS—OpenVMS VAX support ended long ago, and there haven't been new
VAX patches for quite some time—and the need for and the market for a
working and performant VSI OpenVMS port on x86-64 is far more important
for the future of OpenVMS than is investing in preserving those folks
still using VAX hardware or VAX emulation.

=

Hobbyist OpenVMS? Hobbyist OpenVMS VAX?

If you're a hobbyist and want to use OpenVMS VAX and with legitimate
licenses, might want to ask the folks at HPE to generate folks a
farewell gift of permanent hobbyist PAKs for OpenVMS VAX.

If you're a hobbyist and want OpenVMS with legitimate licenses, that
path will be x86-64 and whatever hobbyist program VSI bakes. OpenVMS
VAX will not be a good starting point. OpenVMS VAX isn't a good
starting point now.

Handing an inexperienced-with-OpenVMS hobbyist an OpenVMS VAX system is
a Bad Idea, as OpenVMS is different enough and difficult enough to
learn, and ~25 year old networking and compilers and tools makes
learning about OpenVMS that much more difficult. And VAX adds a pile of
old hardware or hardware emulation into the effort a new hobbyist must
contend with.

For those hobbyists that knew or know OpenVMS and for those dedicated
computing retronauts, VAX and OpenVMS VAX, sure, have at.

I suspect one of the major reasons why OpenVMS VAX hobbyist is popular
right now is a working (free) hardware emulator. If there were a
similarly robust and free Alpha or Itanium emulator available for the
hardware-lacking folks, we'd likely be in an entirely different
discussion. And yes, there are and will be those folks that want VAX
for VAX because VAX.

=

Cross-builds, builds, translations...

VAX-11/VMS was cross-built using the integrated PDP-11 hardware support
in VAX and using hunks of RSX-11M. VAX/VMS itself was dependent on
PDP-11 hardware support for the first three major versions. VAX/VMS
only went fully VAX native at V4.0. SYE was one of the last pieces to
migrate native, though there were a few others.

OpenVMS Alpha was initially cross-built from VAX and that initially
targeting Alpha hardware emulators (the so-called ADU Alpha Development
Units), and then actual working Alpha hardware. All production Alpha
releases were native-built. There were a few translated components that
lingered, and TECO was among those.

OpenVMS I64 followed the same general path as Alpha, though did not
fork the build environments, and was initially cross-built from Alpha,
and all production releases were native built. Again, with some few
facilities using binary-translation tools.

AFAIK, no pieces of Alpha or Itanium were cross-built, once the native
build tools were available. Though there were a few hunks that were
binary-translated and a few that were re-coded, as the available tools
could not contend with older app designs or app assumptions or required
app tooling.

The OpenVMS x86-64 lowercase-a alpha release is by all accounts
cross-built from Itanium, and the production releases will reportedly
be native built and probably with some selected re-coded or using
binary translation tooling if and as that becomes available.

=

The OpenVMS Alpha port targeted bug-for-bug compatibility with OpenVMS
VAX, and deliberately did not fix a whole bunch of stuff that was
broken in OpenVMS VAX. And is still broken in OpenVMS Alpha and OpenVMS
I64. Probably going to be broken on OpenVMS x86-64, too, but that's not
available for inspection. The port did fix a whole bunch of
build-related issues, though the build-related tooling for the two
environments was made more consistent over time. The issue that arose
here was reworking and back-porting 64-bit code back to a 32-bit
environment. 64-bit integers were a common problem for C code, and the
choice was to use an array for 64-bit or larger values, or to fork the
code, or to use conditional builds and which made the source code that
much more involved.

The OpenVMS Alpha 64-bit transition could not be compatible with
OpenVMS VAX, and definitely diverged. That happened in the virtual
addressing, in the compilers and linker, and elsewhere. The design
choice at the time was to go native, flat 64-bit and which was viewed
as a better long-term solution, or to go with a more complex and hybrid
32- and 64-bit design that was going to be a problem longer-term. The
choice to use the 32- and 64-bit hybrid design—a quite interesting
design, and one that did succeed with its goals—was intended to
preserve those sites that had already had 32-bit apps and shareable
images and dependencies, and were not going to upgrade those, and the
hybrid design allowed retrofitting 64-bit addressing into those
existing environments. Without requiring the prerequisite apps to be
upgraded to 64-bit. Which was a very successful approach for piecemeal
64-bit projects. But the 32-/64-bit hybrid design stinks large for new
work, and has made existing apps adopting 64-bit addressing much more
complex, and made OpenVMS itself that much more complex with the
mumble64 APIs and ABIs, with forked code, and with the conditional
32-/64-bit code across the APIs and ABIs. And not starting anew with
64-bit lost an opportunity to fix latent 32-bit issues for end-users
and developers.

=

There was and is no right choice here, just various trade-offs and
wrong choices.
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
John Reagan
2020-05-07 18:06:48 UTC
Post by Stephen Hoffman
AFAIK, no pieces of Alpha or Itanium were cross-built, once the native
build tools were available. Though there were a few hunks that were
binary-translated and a few that were re-coded, as the available tools
could not contend with older app designs or app assumptions or required
app tooling.
The Itanium OS builds still require an Alpha to build. There is a crucial piece that uses MACRO-64's /PREPROCESS_ONLY to manipulate some definitions. It could have been written with some other tool, but given the legacy (plus the fact that the people involved were very good with their favorite hammer), it has hung on in the build system. It will be expunged at some point (if not already).

Unlike the OS, some of the LPs hung on to their Alpha-hosted cross-build environments much longer. Of course, in order to get to x86, you need to be an Itanium. Those are being taken care of as well.
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-07 21:35:49 UTC
Post by Stephen Hoffman
If you're a hobbyist and want to use OpenVMS VAX and with legitimate
licenses, might want to ask the folks at HPE to generate folks a
farewell gift of permanent hobbyist PAKs for OpenVMS VAX.
I think that is what most VAX hobbyists here are hoping for.

And why not do the same for Alpha (and even Itanium)?
Post by Stephen Hoffman
If you're a hobbyist and want OpenVMS with legitimate licenses, that
path will be x86-64 and whatever hobbyist program VSI bakes. OpenVMS
VAX will not be a good starting point. OpenVMS VAX isn't a good
starting point now.
I agree. At one time, it was a good starting point because hardware was
cheap or free and Alpha was still very expensive. Now Alpha can be
cheap or free. Also, if one actually connects it to the internet, the
TCPIP is too long in the tooth (and is getting that way for Alpha as
well). However, my experience is that VAX hardware is very robust.
Post by Stephen Hoffman
I suspect one of the major reasons why OpenVMS VAX hobbyist is popular
right now is a working (free) hardware emulator. If there were a
similarly robust and free Alpha or Itanium emulator available for the
hardware-lacking folks, we'd likely be in an entirely different
discussion. And yes, there are and will be those folks that want VAX
for VAX because VAX.
Cross-builds, builds, translations...
There is the story that an employer told Seymour Cray that Apple had
bought a Cray to help them design the next Apple. Seymour: "That's
funny; I just bought an Apple to help me design the next Cray."
gérard Calliet
2020-08-12 17:16:43 UTC
Post by Stephen Hoffman
So then, that brings up another question. Even though they have no
plans to have anything to do with the VAX, does the license they have
from HP specifically preclude their doing a VSI VAX Version of VMS?
This question has no doubt been answered in this forum (probably by me) before.
We have the rights to all the VMS sources, so we could release a VAX version.
It's not going to happen.
Dumping comments from several different threads here.
Dear Stephen,

That's your style. Encyclopedic.

I have nothing against the encyclopaedia, I am French myself and
therefore to some extent heir to the immense progress made possible by
the encyclopaedia of Diderot and D'Alembert. And to the same extent I am
an unrestricted admirer of the quantity and quality of the information
that your encyclopaedic efforts bring.

But it is with good reason that the Encyclopedia has been criticized
insofar as behind the total knowledge there is a set of wills that the
encyclopedic format instils and to which it gives an objective value
without appearing to do so.

The summary given by Robert Brooks seems clearer to me and can be summed
up in two sentences: « we can do it, but we will not do it ». I took the
trouble to reread many threads on the subject, and these two sentences
seem to me to be a sufficient summary. Its clarity lies in the fact that
it distinguishes between what is the domain of the objective and what is
the domain of the will. My criticism of your style is that the volunteer
moves forward hidden behind the immensity of the various objective
descriptions.

What is interesting in Robert's two sentences, and which can be related
to your work, can be summed up in one word: *We*. We can, but we don't
want to.

That's the whole problem. Who is this We. We the encyclopedic holders of
all the possible expectations of the VMS ecosystem? We the only
authorized providers? We who are the only ones able to determine all the
needs and motivations in the VMS ecosystem? We, the generals
disappointed in lost battles from which we alone are authorized to
predict the stakes of new battles?

It seems to me that one of the fundamentals of the so-called liberal
economy that is our sandbox is that it remains dependent on a principle
of play, that is to say, on the idea that we can absolutely not
anticipate everything, and that our choices are based on unknowns
accepted and seen as stakes.

So we can have the most encyclopedic view of a given situation, it will
not give us by deduction what we play when we want something. My
philosophical style, I apologise 😉

What paralyzes the decision here is precisely this naive belief that our
We is totally in tune with the issues at stake. This is partly true for
the most active in the VMS ecosystem right now: the sustainability of
the Alpha and Itanium environments and the panacea of x86 porting (I've
said elsewhere what I think about the obsession with this goal and the
danger it represents). But that's obviously completely wrong as far as
VAX/VMS is concerned. « We're not interested so it's not interesting ».
Except that the players for VAX/VMS are not the same as the players for
Alpha/Itanium/x86/VMS.

The players for VAX/VMS are : HPE (« how to get rid of that »), VSI («
why me? »), all the VAX hobbyist communities, the simh community, all
the commercial suppliers of VAX emulators, all the places where VAX are
still used industrially, the worldwide scientific community (it was once
fueled by Digital Labs, but knowledge in computer history is still very
present around VAX).

In the name of what could We (VSI + comp.os.vms) speak for all these
other We? Because we are the most encyclopedically informed? Because we
are the ones who generate the main income? Isn't this precisely what has
always been a trap for the VMS ecosystem: our peremptory vision of
things, our inability to evaluate the existence of other networks of
reasons and interests?

I have always been a fervent spectator of bootcamps, and my passion for
gurus is boundless, and I believe that the VMS Ecosystem is a place
where guru-ism is somehow preserved.

But I must say that I've always been amazed by the peremptory tone of
many of the presentations. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me, for
example, that we were told a lot of definitive things about Alpha that
ended up being completely overturned. Could have we been less peremptory?

Dear Stephen, it's absolutely commendable to know everything about
everything, and infinitely profitable.

The fact remains that as far as this turning point in the predicted
death of VAX/VMS is concerned (xVMS have seen more, for example in
2013), your encyclopedism give me the opportunity of criticism because I
read it rather as a symptom of a lack of universality.

The question about VAX/VMS licenses, hobbyist or not, takes us
obliquely. The populations concerned, the technical cultures at stake,
the deep relation to the history of computer developments are not the
same as the core that makes VMS live and relive at the moment on Alpha,
Itanium and soon x86. So the answer in terms of decision and will does
not belong to us entirely.

If something can be done for VAX/VMS it will be done through the
combined efforts of the communities involved (hobbyist, simh, real
industrial users), the use of the tools that will be found (cf. Bob’s
proposal), the mobilization of interested commercial entities (AVT ware,
Stromasys,...) (they have an interest in the existence of VAX/VMS
skills, it's an indirect need) (their interests are different from those
of the simh community, obviously), and only in the end by the
implementation at VSI and with the blessing of HPE.

I am aware that in our time this kind of conjunction is very
hypothetical. Respect for ancestors, inter-generational transmission, a
taste for history, foundations for non purely commercial purposes, all
these things lend themselves to a smile. As if we didn't know that the
real heroes are not Ada Lovelace, Von Newman or Alan Turner, but Bill
Gates, Mark Zuckerberg or Elon Musk. Isn't the future we wish for on
Mars?

I’m a little bit ashamed to relaunch such a discution. Your effort for
synthesis had a reverse effect on me. As if you were saying : « nothing
more to say, the subject is closed ». Perhaps it is closed separatly for
VSI, for you, for other suppliers or users, but as a whole it is a lot
more opened, and deserve a lot more consideration. It is for sure
important to differentiate central topics to other topics when we deal
with a complex computer situation, but often what has been considered as
not to be mentionned became a point of leveraging. My opinion has always
been that VMS ecosystem is a lot more than specific periods and topics
investments. It is a technical culture, a way of coping with problems,
and the old guys on VAX/VMS or the strange all-and-good VAX/VMS sites
are part of it, deserve more our consideration, will be our blessing.

So : how can we do VAX/VMS again? Concrete willings demanded.
=
choices.
Stephen Hoffman
2020-08-12 23:40:18 UTC
Post by gérard Calliet
That's your style. Encyclopedic.
So : how can we do VAX/VMS again? Concrete willings demanded.
OpenVMS x86-64 is the future, and is build on the VAX past, as well as
on the present of Alpha and Itanium.

I'd much rather see VSI focusing on OpenVMS x86-64 and in hauling the
64-bit environment and tooling forward, that work even to the relative
detriment of OpenVMS I64 and OpenVMS Alpha work, too. And would suggest
the same focus for app developers, too.

I liked VAX. It was a good product for its time. But OpenVMS VAX is
dead. The last new release was very nearly twenty years ago, and the
VAX hardware designs and limits pre-millennial.

For the remaining OpenVMS VAX commercial sites around, nothing here has
changed. For hobbyists preferring VAX, yes. There is a transition ahead
through 2021, for those that received the final HPE hobbyist PAKs.

But if you'd like to see the future of VAX rekindled, by all means do
go find enough folks with enough money to invest in restarting OpenVMS
VAX. Have at. Maybe join VSI?

And FWIW, in the English vernacular, Robert's "we" referred to VSI.
That usage is akin to what is known in English as the "royal we"; of
speaking officially, in this case.
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
David Goodwin
2020-08-13 00:17:32 UTC
Post by Stephen Hoffman
Post by gérard Calliet
[...]
My interest in VAX at least is purely of a historical nature. I don't see any reason for new releases or new features, just making the existing stuff accessible long into the future. I don't want it to go the same way as Tru64, Ultrix and the various PDP-11 operating systems and layered products - something only those with existing commercial licenses can legally experience. A group of companies and individuals that will steadily shrink over time due to the non-transferable nature of the licenses.

Additionally, IIRC you need a license to even hold a copy of the installation media. At the end of next year I should be deleting all of my copies and destroying all of my installation CDs, etc. If OpenVMS VAX and its layered products survive long enough to enter the public domain it will probably be due to people illegally retaining copies of it without a license.
gérard Calliet
2020-08-13 11:09:59 UTC
Post by Stephen Hoffman
Post by gérard Calliet
That's your style. Encyclopedic.
So : how can we do VAX/VMS again? Concrete willings demanded.
OpenVMS x86-64 is the future, and is build on the VAX past, as well as
on the present of Alpha and Itanium.
I'd much rather see VSI focusing on OpenVMS x86-64 and in hauling the
64-bit environment and tooling forward, that work even to the relative
detriment of OpenVMS I64 and OpenVMS Alpha work, too. And would suggest
the same focus for app developers, too.
I agree. And for this reason I think it's more a foundation form, with
people and (perhaps) sponsor companies which could promote a last build
for OpenVMS/VAX, opening ways for hobbyist PAKs.
For legal reasons the build could be done at VSIs, but with other
financial contributors. And no support, no evolution.
Post by Stephen Hoffman
I liked VAX. It was a good product for its time. But OpenVMS VAX is
dead. The last new release was very nearly twenty years ago, and the VAX
hardware designs and limits pre-millennial.
The same. It is computer history. I know we are in a time where
concepts' evolution, scientific history are seen as nothing because
totally non-profit. But in the same time, (some) young engineers are
very interested on fundational concepts, true strories... And also The
big issue is about all the ways we are storing information have a very
short life, and we can numerize the planet, but it is more and more
difficult to read a 20 years old support. So on the subject we have pro
and againts trends.
Post by Stephen Hoffman
For the remaining OpenVMS VAX commercial sites around, nothing here has
changed. For hobbyists preferring VAX, yes. There is a transition ahead
through 2021, for those that received the final HPE hobbyist PAKs.
But if you'd like to see the future of VAX rekindled, by all means do go
find enough folks with enough money to invest in restarting OpenVMS VAX.
Have at. Maybe join VSI?
VSI would not be a first contact here. I think about simh community,
hobbyist community, and Stromasys and AVT ware. If something begins, it
will be time to contact VSI (and perhaps HPE).
Post by Stephen Hoffman
And FWIW, in the English vernacular, Robert's "we" referred to VSI. That
usage is akin to what is known in English as the "royal we"; of speaking
officially, in this case.
It is about this "royal we" I was speaking. Which has a even more "nous"
equivalent in french (and a little bit deprecated for historic reasons
:) ). And in my opinion, everytime we use a "we", we are saying a little
more than that we are thinking about. I don't think Robert thinks we
(VSI) are the whole VMS ecosystem, but perhaps the royalty of his "we"
prevents him from perceiving all the desires of the kingdom - we all do
that -.
gérard Calliet
2020-05-08 11:15:54 UTC
Post by Robert A. Brooks
Post by Bill Gunshannon
So then, that brings up another question. Even though they have
no plans to have anything to do with the VAX, does the license
they have from HP specifically preclude their doing a VSI VAX
Version of VMS?
This question has no doubt been answered in this forum (probably by me)
before.
We have the rights to all the VMS sources, so we could release
a VAX version.
It's not going to happen.
I remember I heard the same sentence about Alpha at the beginnings of
VSI. The peremptory style of Digital geeks.

VSI has the right to release a VAX version, not the right to create PAKs
for HPE versions. ok. HPE don't care about ending fairly the story. ok.
VSI has millions of other things to do but a new VAX version. ok. So
goodby VAX/VMS.

In such cases, good will associations, institute are doing the job, and
VSI could delegate some rebuild, brand it, and create just restricted
Hobbyist PAKs. SIMH commmunity is an excellent example of such (here
informal) association of good will people who do an excellent and
necessary work helping to maintain a link between the foundations of
computer science to today. I don't know all the people there, but one
name among a lot is a big name: Bob Supnik.

Being able to maintain such links, appearing motivated also for the
non-for-profit story of computing science could be a very good marketing
point to VSI. The concrete aspects are that some subscriptions for the
operation, gifts of money and/or time of work from the bunch of
seventies geek could discharge VSI of most of the charge. Aside the
marketing image improvement, there would be redoing links between VMS
actors...

And it will be the answer to Alice Wyan (thanks to her) : VMS is worth
playing with it. Everyone here knows how important for us it to have new
generations playing with VMS.

I know, I know: better doing the usual business way. It has been so
successfull until today for VMS.

Gérard Calliet
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-09 06:11:31 UTC
Post by gérard Calliet
VSI has the right to release a VAX version, not the right to create PAKs
for HPE versions. ok. HPE don't care about ending fairly the story. ok.
VSI has millions of other things to do but a new VAX version. ok. So
goodby VAX/VMS.
OK. But HPE, if they wanted to, could, very easily, issue a
non-expiring VAX license if they wanted to.
Dave Froble
2020-05-06 23:40:28 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Post by Marc Van Dyck
Post by Bill Gunshannon
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Bill Gunshannon
[...]
It has been my understanding that the build is not simple. Why? I
don't know. But that's what I've been told.

If the volunteer needed VSI help, well, they already have more to do
than they will be able to do. I don't see getting even one hour of
their time for something they have no interest in doing.

I could imagine some additional problems, such as a user that got a copy
of a new VAX build, and then expected VSI to support it, and similar
such. VSI doesn't need the headaches.

The way Robert has indicated "it's not going to happen" causes me to
wonder if there are additional issues we're not aware of.

Would be much simpler if HP just gave vSI the rights to issue hobbyist
licenses for VAX/VMS V7.3 (or earlier). Or HP to have their hobbyist
people just issue permanent licenses.
Vanderbilt, PA 15486
Bill Gunshannon
2020-05-24 13:58:40 UTC
So, after all the talk of a rogue PAK Generator here curiosity
got the best of me and I went looking. I found something called
"pakgen.c". I'll assume this is the one people meant. Cute
program, but being as I could not begin to understand what the
proper input parameters would be I guess you really have to
understand how LMF works to actually use it. :-)

bill
Henry Crun
2020-05-24 14:48:49 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
So, after all the talk of a rogue PAK Generator here curiosity
got the best of me and I went looking.  I found something called
"pakgen.c". I'll assume this is the one people meant.  Cute
program, but being as I could not begin to understand what the
proper input parameters would be I guess you really have to
understand how LMF works to actually use it.  :-)
bill
Many moons ago, when I worked at Digital doing customer support
there was a "PAKGEN" license which allowed one to use the
"LICENSE/GENERATE" command to create licenses (generally
limited to to one to three months) for temporary customer use.

IIRC usage was first LICENSE/REGISTER/GENERATE and then LICENSE ISSUE
--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/
Missile address: N31.7624/E34.9691
Stephen Hoffman
2020-05-29 21:25:48 UTC
...when I worked at Digital doing customer support there was a "PAKGEN"
license which allowed one to use the "LICENSE/GENERATE" command to
create licenses (generally limited to to one to three months) for
temporary customer use.
IIRC usage was first LICENSE/REGISTER/GENERATE and then LICENSE ISSUE
Pretty much.

There's a guide to using PAKGEN around.

VSI and HPE both issue PAKGEN PAKs.

I have a PAKGEN PAK from each, for use with the local software products.

No, the PAKGEN PAKs available to ISVs cannot be used to generate PAKs
for VSI or HPE software products.

The PAKGEN PAK doesn't limit the duration of the generated PAK, that's
up to the command used to generate and register the required PAK.
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
Terry Kennedy
One could always use one of the other PAK generators to create a PAKGEN PAK which allowed any specific issuer / producer, as those fields are specified in the PAKGEN PAK.
John H. Reinhardt
2020-05-24 18:36:35 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
So, after all the talk of a rogue PAK Generator here curiosity
got the best of me and I went looking.  I found something called
"pakgen.c". I'll assume this is the one people meant.  Cute
program, but being as I could not begin to understand what the
proper input parameters would be I guess you really have to
understand how LMF works to actually use it.  :-)
bill
Yes, that's the one. There is a 1.0 and a 1.1 version floating around. I think I have both, but have never even compiled it to see how it works. Maybe someday.

I've seen it discussed a few places but nobody ever says how it works or what inputs it requires.

As an aside, I saw a remark by Hunter Goatly on the Simh-11message list:

"As expected, in a web seminar just now, VSI confirmed that there will not be any kind of hobbyist license for VAX from them. The Community License program will include Alpha, Integrity, and x86. It remains to be seen exactly what the terms will be."

So if Rob Brooks' remark wasn't enough, there you go.
John H. Reinhardt
Phillip Helbig (undress to reply)
2020-05-24 20:13:50 UTC
Post by John H. Reinhardt
"As expected, in a web seminar just now, VSI confirmed that there will
not be any kind of hobbyist license for VAX from them. The Community
License program will include Alpha, Integrity, and x86. It remains to be
seen exactly what the terms will be."
So if Rob Brooks' remark wasn't enough, there you go.
Nothing new here. No hobbyist license, but Community license. No-one
who knows how different they are has said anything publicly as far as I
know.

Yes, nothing for VAX. Also nothing new there.
Jim Causey
2020-05-29 03:26:02 UTC
Post by Bill Gunshannon
So, after all the talk of a rogue PAK Generator here curiosity
got the best of me and I went looking. I found something called
"pakgen.c". I'll assume this is the one people meant. Cute
program, but being as I could not begin to understand what the
proper input parameters would be I guess you really have to
understand how LMF works to actually use it. :-)
bill
if you search for LMFGEN you can find a built Windows executable and some examples of how to use it.