DLTIV in SDLT Drive
David Turner, Island Computers
2007-08-01 15:54:12 UTC
Before I tell my customer he has messed up his tape drive
He tried backing up to a DLTIV tape in a SDLT1 tape drive) I was wondering
if I am correct in the assumption that you can only READ DLTIV and not write
to them.

I don't really want to try this here as they are still not yet cheap.

Comments?!?

David
--
David B Turner
Island Computers US Corp

T: 877-6364332 x201
Intl: 001 912 447 6622

E: ***@islandco.com
F: 912 201 0402
W: http://www.islandco.com
h***@aracnet.com
2007-08-01 20:41:00 UTC
Before I tell my customer he has messed up his tape drive He tried backing
up to a DLTIV tape in a SDLT1 tape drive) I was wondering if I am correct
in the assumption that you can only READ DLTIV and not write to them.
I don't really want to try this here as they are still not yet cheap.
Comments?!?
Correct, and SDLT220 drive can only read a DLT IV tape. For SDLT320 and
newer drives you can't read DLT IV media.

Which is why we still have a Jukebox with DLT7000 drives (for reading).

However, I don't believe attempting to write will damage the drive, it
should simply not work.

Zane
David Turner, Island Computers

Zane
d***@dittman.net
2007-08-03 20:50:46 UTC
Post by h***@aracnet.com
Before I tell my customer he has messed up his tape drive He tried backing
up to a DLTIV tape in a SDLT1 tape drive) I was wondering if I am correct
in the assumption that you can only READ DLTIV and not write to them.
I don't really want to try this here as they are still not yet cheap.
Comments?!?
Correct, and SDLT220 drive can only read a DLT IV tape. For SDLT320 and
newer drives you can't read DLT IV media.
According to Quantum you can read DLT IV media in a SDLT320 drive. I've
read there are issues with reading DLT IV media in SDLT320 drives with
old firmware so upgrading to a newer firmware might be necessary.
--
Eric Dittman
***@dittman.net
h***@aracnet.com
2007-08-03 23:39:00 UTC
Post by d***@dittman.net
According to Quantum you can read DLT IV media in a SDLT320 drive. I've
read there are issues with reading DLT IV media in SDLT320 drives with
old firmware so upgrading to a newer firmware might be necessary.
You are supposed to be able to read two versions back with any given drive.
The SDLT320's should be able to read DLT IV media written in a DLT8000
drive, but can't. Also I'm told the S4 drives can read SDLT600 tapes, but
can't read data written on an SDLT320 drive (our group doesn't have S4
drives yet).

Zane
d***@dittman.net
2007-08-07 02:23:34 UTC
Post by h***@aracnet.com
Post by d***@dittman.net
According to Quantum you can read DLT IV media in a SDLT320 drive. I've
read there are issues with reading DLT IV media in SDLT320 drives with
old firmware so upgrading to a newer firmware might be necessary.
You are supposed to be able to read two versions back with any given drive.
The SDLT320's should be able to read DLT IV media written in a DLT8000
drive, but can't. Also I'm told the S4 drives can read SDLT600 tapes, but
can't read data written on an SDLT320 drive (our group doesn't have S4
drives yet).
Here's Quantum's online "Media Compatibility Tool":

http://www.quantum.com/mediaanswers/wheel.html

It looks like real-world results don't match since that shows DLT IV tapes
written on DLT4000 through DLT8000 drives as being readable in an SDLT320
and SDLT1 tapes written on a SDLT320 drive as being readable in a DLT-S4
drive. We just had the firmware upgraded on our SDLT320 drives and they
still won't read the DLT IV tapes but the vendor says it should work so
they are sending someone out tomorrow to investigate.
--
Eric Dittman
***@dittman.net
d***@dittman.net
2007-08-08 03:34:10 UTC
Post by d***@dittman.net
Post by h***@aracnet.com
Post by d***@dittman.net
[...]
Testing shows that real Quantum DLT IV tapes are readable by our SDLT320
drives but the drives have problems loading non-Quantum DLT IV tapes.
--
Eric Dittman
***@dittman.net
Ron Johnson
2007-08-04 11:45:35 UTC
Post by d***@dittman.net
Post by h***@aracnet.com
Before I tell my customer he has messed up his tape drive He tried backing
up to a DLTIV tape in a SDLT1 tape drive) I was wondering if I am correct
in the assumption that you can only READ DLTIV and not write to them.
I don't really want to try this here as they are still not yet cheap.
Comments?!?
Correct, and SDLT220 drive can only read a DLT IV tape. For SDLT320 and
newer drives you can't read DLT IV media.
According to Quantum you can read DLT IV media in a SDLT320 drive. I've
read there are issues with reading DLT IV media in SDLT320 drives with
old firmware so upgrading to a newer firmware might be necessary.
Hi, Eric!!!!!!!

Alan is getting STK to upgrade the firmware in the TTDC L40. Not
that I knew that TTDC has an L40. I thought the only jukeboxen
attached to EPS1 and NYEZ02 were L700s.
--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA