DECwindows over PuTTY
d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
2013-12-13 16:52:22 UTC
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system. I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS beginner. My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
Thx!
d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
2013-12-13 17:02:20 UTC
I'm going to need a dumbed-down walkthrough of the steps, me being a no0b and all... thx.
Stephen Hoffman
2013-12-13 18:27:28 UTC
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
I'm going to need a dumbed-down walkthrough of the steps, me being a no0b and all... thx.
Visit
<https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups&nomobile=true#!forum/comp.os.vms>,
and query for /OpenVMS xming/ or similar from the archives of previous
discussions.

More general web queries via the Bing search engine
<http://www.bing.com> will also return existing discussions including
the following:

<http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.os.vms/2007-12/msg00076.html>
<http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/>
<http://blog.boreas.ro/2007/10/x-forwarding-with-ssh-x-and-xming.html>
<http://compgroups.net/comp.os.vms/x-server-access-from-vms/282992>
<http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Languages-and-Scripting/Xming-XDMCP/td-p/5257078>
<http://vouters.dyndns.org/tima/All-OS-Setting_a_remote_VMS_display.html>

... each of which will all be worth reviewing.
Pure Personal Opinion | HoffmanLabs LLC
j***@yahoo.co.uk
2013-12-13 17:44:04 UTC
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system. I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS beginner. My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
Thx!
You could start by telling us important VMS software versions (VMS, TCP).

Then you could tell us whether DECwindows is already installed, and if so whether you've tried starting it (a graphics device on the emulate VMS box is not necessary).

You may also find it helpful to tell folks which emulator you're using and how you've configured it wrt networking - this is an important part of doing what you're trying to do - if networking is notworking in this setup, DECwindows will be notworking too.

If you've got putty/ssh working already that's a good sign.

Best of luck.
d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
OpenVMS ALPHA 8.4, HP TCP/IP Services version unknown.
Jan-Erik Soderholm

$ tcpip sho ver
d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
v5.7
Jan-Erik Soderholm
2013-12-13 18:44:44 UTC
Post by Jan-Erik Soderholm
$ tcpip sho ver
v5.7
That was weird! When I do that I usualy get something like:

$ tcpip sho ver

HP TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V5.7 - ECO 3
on an AlphaServer DS25 running OpenVMS V8.4

$

Did you realy get *only* "v5.7" ??
d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
No, that's just the version no.
d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
I'm a no0b, plz don't yell @ me! :D
d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
I'm using CHARON-AXP AS400. EWA0 is configured to link to my Ethernet adapter.
Scott Dorsey
2013-12-13 20:10:16 UTC
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system. I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS beginner. My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
Thx!
You don't. Putty is not an X11 server. Try again.
--scott
V***@SendSpamHere.ORG
2013-12-13 20:29:33 UTC
Simon Clubley
2013-12-13 20:32:02 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system. I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS beginner. My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
Thx!
You don't. Putty is not an X11 server. Try again.
--scott
From his point of view, this is actually a reasonable question.

The SSH protocol can be used as a transport for X11 applications running on
the box at the other end of a SSH connection and I do it all the time using
Linux with OpenSSH.

The missing piece is whether PuTTY will look for, and integrate with,
any X11 server running locally under Windows (which means PuTTY would have
support for transporting X11 connections as a prerequisite).

I don't know the answer to that question without research.

Simon.
Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world
David James
2013-12-13 22:05:07 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system.
I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS beginner. My
question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
Thx!
You don't. Putty is not an X11 server. Try again.
--scott
From his point of view, this is actually a reasonable question.
The SSH protocol can be used as a transport for X11 applications running
on the box at the other end of a SSH connection and I do it all the time
using Linux with OpenSSH.
The missing piece is whether PuTTY will look for, and integrate with,
any X11 server running locally under Windows (which means PuTTY would
have support for transporting X11 connections as a prerequisite).
I don't know the answer to that question without research.
Simon.
PuTTY's help file suggests that it will work

"3.4 Using X11 forwarding in SSH
The SSH protocol has the ability to securely forward X Window System
applications over your encrypted SSH connection, so that you can run an
application on the SSH server machine and have it put its windows up on
your local machine without sending any X network traffic in the clear.

In order to use this feature, you will need an X display server for your
Windows machine, such as Cygwin/X, X-Win32, or Exceed. This will probably
install itself as display number 0 on your local machine; if it doesn't,
the manual for the X server should tell you what it does do.

You should then tick the ‘Enable X11 forwarding’ box in the X11 panel (see
section 4.23) before starting your SSH session. The ‘X display location’
box is blank by default, which means that PuTTY will try to use a sensible
default such as :0, which is the usual display location where your X
server will be installed. If that needs changing, then change it. ".

PuTTY has "Options controlling SSH X11 forwarding" under Connection | SSH
| X11.

The items are:
Enable X11 forwarding
X display location
Remote X11 authentication protocol (options: MIT-Magic-Cookie-1 and XDM-
Authorization-1)
X authority file for local display

It's not something I've tried.
Jan-Erik Soderholm
2013-12-14 00:01:55 UTC
Okay, So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated
system. I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS
beginner. My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it
display on XMing? Thx!
You don't. Putty is not an X11 server...
Who claimed it is?
Try again. --scott
Read again!
I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/
http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/

What I am askin is if the OP even tried some simple Google
search, when entering "XMing OpenVMS", I get for example:
http://blog.boreas.ro/2008/03/ssh-x11-redirection-on-openvms-and.html
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.os.vms/u77xYzLHJV0
http://compgroups.net/comp.os.vms/x-server-access-from-vms/282992
There are others...
Bill Gunshannon
2013-12-14 00:22:47 UTC
Post by Scott Dorsey
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system. I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS beginner. My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
Thx!
You don't. Putty is not an X11 server. Try again.
No, but XMing is. He wants to tunnel his X Session thru SSH which
works find with XMing and Putty. I am doing it right now to post this,
I run my newsreader (knews) on a machine at the University and display
it using XMing either on my Terminal services client at work or my
Vista box here at home.

I am not sure how one would (or if they can) do this under VMS.
But Putty isn't the game-stopper.

bill
***@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include <std.disclaimer.h>
Subcommandante XDelta
2013-12-13 21:23:50 UTC
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system. I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS beginner. My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
Thx!
You could also explore using:

MobaXterm for Windows:

http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/
Roger Ivie
2013-12-14 01:13:24 UTC
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system.
I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS beginner.
My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
If you have PuTTY configured to forward X, some magic should happen
if you issue the command:

$ CREATE/TERM/DETACH

After a bit, it should open a DECwindow on your X display through PuTTY.
--
roger ivie
***@ridgenet.net
Wilm Boerhout
2013-12-14 18:16:42 UTC
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system.
I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS beginner.
My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
Thx!
If you start PuTTY from your Xming-enabled PC with :

C:\somewhere\PuTTY.exe -ssh -X system@<VMS IP addr>

then login to VMS, and then

$ MC DECW$STARTLOGIN

you should get your DECwindows login box back on your PC, which is now,
thanks to Xming, the X11 graphics device (aka display server) PuTTY
takes care of the X11 protocol forwarding over the ssh session.

If you do not, report back. There are some pitfalls, but it really
should work "out of the box"

/Wilm
Bill Gunshannon
2013-12-14 18:43:07 UTC
Post by Wilm Boerhout
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system.
I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS beginner.
My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
Thx!
then login to VMS, and then
$ MC DECW$STARTLOGIN
you should get your DECwindows login box back on your PC, which is now,
thanks to Xming, the X11 graphics device (aka display server) PuTTY
takes care of the X11 protocol forwarding over the ssh session.
If you do not, report back. There are some pitfalls, but it really
should work "out of the box"
Unless there is something strange about the SSH Server (we call it a
daemon on Unix but I guess that would be wrong on VMS :-) he should
be able to use the Xlaunch facility in XMing to create a config file
that will take care of all of this for him. No need to login separately
to start DECW$STARTLOGIN.

Gérard Calliet (pia-sofer)
2013-12-14 21:08:12 UTC
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system. I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. I am a VMS beginner. My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
Thx!
what I used, but I have no way to test aknew these days
1) under putty :
ssh --> tunnels

source port : 6003
destination : localhost:6000

remote : ok
auto : ok

and : add

2) connect to vms via ssh
(ssh must be enabled on vms under @tcpip$config)

3) under vms :

$ set display/create/trans=tcpip/node=localhost/server=3

"3" is an example, you must have server = n and source port = 600n
John E. Malmberg
2013-12-16 02:15:21 UTC
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Okay,
So, I set up TCP/IP. I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system.
I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display.
See below.
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
I am a VMS beginner.
Have fun learning. Try things, see what works, what does not.

https://sourceforge.net/p/vms-ports/wiki/VMSSystemManagement/

I suggest that you make a document to recreate your set up for your own
use, and it may even be useful if you can blog it somewhere for others,
such as was done with:

http://www.wherry.com/gadgets/retrocomputing/vax-simh.html
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
My question is, how do I start DECWindows and make it display on XMing?
Thx!
On the server side, you need to set up DECWindows. Documentation is at
the HP site.

Generally the big issue is that most non-VMS X-11 servers do not have
the fonts that VMS applications need. The easiest way to do this is
make sure that the DECWindows Fonts are installed and that you can serve
them from your Alpha or Itanium VMS system.

By default on a non-workstation VMS does not install the fonts, so you
will probably need to reconfigure the VMS or reinstall it.

Some information on X-11, on the client side:

https://sourceforge.net/p/vms-ports/wiki/InteropOtherOs/
Post by d***@schoolfortomorrow.net
I'm using CHARON-AXP AS400. EWA0 is configured to link to my
Ethernet adapter.
With a emulated environment, if the emulator supports it, it is useful
to set up dual network adapters, one bridged to the physical adapter,
and one set up as a host local network.

If you set up the emulator in a VM, it can make it easier to manage the
host os and set up the network interfaces.

Regards,
-John
***@qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only