syslog setup
Paul Coviello
2024-06-12 18:25:44 UTC
I set syslog up today VMS 8.4-1H1 and I'm a little baffled how the log
files get populated. I also did OPCOM too. could someone post what the
config file looks like please

Of course with this being FREEWARE VSI wants it to be a added cost to
support me in setting this up. and what's worse is within the year we
will likely be off of VMS and on LINUX. but yet the auditing company
wants this set up.

this is what I have currently from this file
https://vmssoftware.com/docs/syslogd-openvms-04-Feb-2018.pdf:

I'm going to try to delete the other post since it's buried in something
from years ago.

thanks

LocalHostName FACST1
#
*.err /sys$login:error.log
*.debug /sys$login:debug.log
local0.*,user.* /sys$login:local.log
*.log /sys$manager:operator.log
#
# Broadcast errors to JOHN and SYSTEM
#
*.* PAUL,SYSTEM
*.* @IPADDRESS
# Send message to CENTRAL and TAPE operators via OPCOM
#
local1.err %SECURITY,CENTRAL,DISKS,NETWORK
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-06-12 20:16:47 UTC
Post by Paul Coviello
this is what I have currently from this file
I notice it says to be sure to use tabs, not spaces, to separate the
facility/severity spec from the destination spec. There’s even an option
to send the messages to OPCOM, too, which might be useful.

There’s an example “logger” command to send a test log message; did you
get as far as trying that?

Just guessing, here; I have zero familiarity with syslog on VMS.
Paul Coviello
2024-06-12 20:47:11 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Paul Coviello
this is what I have currently from this file
I notice it says to be sure to use tabs, not spaces, to separate the
facility/severity spec from the destination spec. There’s even an option
to send the messages to OPCOM, too, which might be useful.
There’s an example “logger” command to send a test log message; did you
get as far as trying that?
Just guessing, here; I have zero familiarity with syslog on VMS.
yes there are tabs and not spaces.
and yes I can successfully send a logger message. but that is it nothing
else comes through. Not even the node name when I send a test. I do
have a call with VSI tomorrow, though I'm not sure what yet will come
out of it.

thanks
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-06-17 21:06:54 UTC
How did it go?
Paul Coviello
2024-06-18 14:46:01 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
I do have a call with VSI tomorrow, though I'm not sure what yet will
come out of it.
How did it go?
well... I was asked if I would like professional services in helping to
set this up, since we need to have this for some auditing purpose, I
said yes, but I asked them to check to see if anyone knew how before
they sent over a quote, I thought it was a fair question :-)
Paul Coviello
Simon Clubley
2024-06-19 12:08:01 UTC
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
I do have a call with VSI tomorrow, though I'm not sure what yet will
come out of it.
How did it go?
well... I was asked if I would like professional services in helping to
set this up, since we need to have this for some auditing purpose, I
said yes, but I asked them to check to see if anyone knew how before
they sent over a quote, I thought it was a fair question :-)
:-)

And did they confirm someone at VSI knows how to set it up ? :-)

Simon.
Chris Townley
2024-06-19 12:37:40 UTC
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
I do have a call with VSI tomorrow, though I'm not sure what yet will
come out of it.
How did it go?
well... I was asked if I would like professional services in helping to
set this up, since we need to have this for some auditing purpose, I
said yes, but I asked them to check to see if anyone knew how before
they sent over a quote, I thought it was a fair question :-)
:-)
And did they confirm someone at VSI knows how to set it up ? :-)
Simon.
and perhaps they should document it!
Chris
Paul Coviello
2024-06-21 12:19:29 UTC
Post by Chris Townley
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
I do have a call with VSI tomorrow, though I'm not sure what yet will
come out of it.
How did it go?
well...  I was asked if I would like professional services in helping to
set this up, since we need to have this for some auditing purpose, I
said yes, but I asked them to check to see if anyone knew how before
they sent over a quote, I thought it was a fair question :-)
:-)
And did they confirm someone at VSI knows how to set it up ? :-)
Simon.
and perhaps they should document it!
no confirmation yet, and absolutely agree there should be something
telling you how to set it up instead of leading you to believe just by
adding in the opcom section it works... it doesn't there is some other
setting I don't know.
Jim Duff
2024-06-21 22:59:07 UTC
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Chris Townley
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
I do have a call with VSI tomorrow, though I'm not sure what yet will
come out of it.
How did it go?
well...  I was asked if I would like professional services in helping to
set this up, since we need to have this for some auditing purpose, I
said yes, but I asked them to check to see if anyone knew how before
they sent over a quote, I thought it was a fair question :-)
:-)
And did they confirm someone at VSI knows how to set it up ? :-)
Simon.
and perhaps they should document it!
no confirmation yet, and absolutely agree there should be something
telling you how to set it up instead of leading you to believe just by
adding in the opcom section it works... it doesn't there is some other
setting I don't know.
Silly question, but can you describe what you're expecting to happen
that doesn't?

I built this from the source included in the zip file and there are
certainly a few quirks with it, but I don't know if the same are present
in the prebuilt executables in the zip.

I suggest running the executable with debug like so after setting
default to where ever you have it:

$ mcr []syslogd -d

This will produce a number of messages, the first of interest to me was
"Can't open SYSLOGD_CONFIG", note not TCPIP$SYSLOGD_CONFIG as the PDF
tells you to define. So you may need to define a logical SYSLOGD_CONFIG
to where you have the config file (or change the source code to include
the TCPIP$ prefix and rebuild).

Note the example defines the logical as SYS$LOGIN:SYSLOGD_CONFIG.CFG,
which is useless unless you are logged in as TCPIP$SYSLOG, per the PDF.

Define it to point at the actual directory.

This is what a proper startup looks like (apologies for line wrap):

$ define tcpip$syslogd_config sys$sysroot:[tcpip$syslog]syslogd.cfg
$ mcr []syslogd -d
Binding to SYSLOG on port 514
init
cfline(*.err /sys$login:err.log)
Opening Log file sys$login:err.log
cfline(*.debug /sys$login:debug.log)
Opening Log file sys$login:debug.log
cfline(local0.*,user.* /sys$login:local.log)
Opening Log file sys$login:local.log
cfline(*.err XXXXX)
cfline(*.* @node.domain.name)
cfline(local1.err %CENTRAL)
OPCOM Class CENTRAL decoded as 1
3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 X FILE: sys$login:err.log
7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 X FILE: sys$login:debug.log
X 8 X X X X X X X X X X X X X X 8 X X X X X X X X FILE: sys$login:local.log
3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 X USERS: XXXXX,
8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 X FORW: node.domain.name
X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X 3 X X X X X X X CONSOLE: 1
logmsg: pri 56, flags 4, from node, msg syslogd: restart
Priority skip fac:5, 3 < 6
Logging to FILE sys$login:debug.log
Priority skip fac:5, 16 < 6
Priority skip fac:5, 3 < 6
Logging to FORW node.domain.name
Priority skip fac:5, 16 < 6
syslogd: restarted
Selecting 3

Once you have that out of the way, everything seems to work. You can
test it with the logger command as described in the PDF. Note you can
specify priorities with the logger command, which is sadly not
documented in the PDF, but which any man page will happily tell you about.

$ logger -p local1.err "test central"
$

Message from ***@node at Jun 22 07:44:31 ...
test central

$
%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 22-JUN-2024 07:44:31.11 %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user XXXXX on NODE
Message from ***@node at Jun 22 07:44:31 ...
test central

HTH
Jim
eight-cubed.com
Paul Coviello
2024-06-22 17:23:48 UTC
Post by Jim Duff
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Chris Townley
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
[...]
hmmm what was I expecting! well it seemed pretty straight forward in
the PDF that you set it up as it says and it just works, now after
reading your comments there might be more I have to do.

I'll try it on Monday.

and the logger test message does work. just trying to get OPCOM to
connect to it and hopefully your suggestions above I can figure it out

thanks
Jim Duff
2024-06-22 21:57:01 UTC
[Massive snip]
hmmm what was I expecting!  well it seemed pretty straight forward in
the PDF that you set it up as it says and it just works, now after
reading your comments there might be more I have to do.
I'll try it on Monday.
and the logger test message does work. just trying to get OPCOM to
connect to it and hopefully your suggestions above I can figure it out
thanks
When you say "just trying to get OPCOM to connect to it" are you
expecting that syslogd will somehow intercept your OPCOM messages and
log them somewhere else? Because it doesn't do that.

It takes syslog messages that match the priorities you have assigned to
forward to OPCOM, in this case local1.err, and does exactly that, as I
demonstrated in the example.

Jim
eight-cubed.com
Arne Vajhøj
2024-06-22 22:49:24 UTC
Post by Jim Duff
[Massive snip]
hmmm what was I expecting!  well it seemed pretty straight forward in
the PDF that you set it up as it says and it just works, now after
reading your comments there might be more I have to do.
I'll try it on Monday.
and the logger test message does work. just trying to get OPCOM to
connect to it and hopefully your suggestions above I can figure it out
When you say "just trying to get OPCOM to connect to it" are you
expecting that syslogd will somehow intercept your OPCOM messages and
log them somewhere else?  Because it doesn't do that.
It takes syslog messages that match the priorities you have assigned to
forward to OPCOM, in this case local1.err, and does exactly that, as I
demonstrated in the example.
But if one want to send OPCOM messages to syslog then I assume one could:
* enable terminal as operator terminal
* run a little utility program that trap broadcasts
and send them to syslog
?

Arne
Jim Duff
2024-06-23 04:10:07 UTC
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Jim Duff
[Massive snip]
[...]
Sure, why not?

https://www.eight-cubed.com/downloads.html#catch_opcom

will trap the OPCOM messages, and it's a simple matter to open a
datagram socket and write to the syslog port.

Jim.
eight-cubed.com
Paul Coviello
2024-06-24 12:07:56 UTC
Post by Jim Duff
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Jim Duff
[Massive snip]
[...]
Hi Jim I just downloaded the zip file and out of curiosity do I need 'C'
to run this?
Paul Coviello
never mind I answered my own question... it doesn't run on itanium...
Simon Clubley
2024-06-25 12:08:40 UTC
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Paul Coviello
Hi Jim I just downloaded the zip file and out of curiosity do I need 'C'
to run this?
never mind I answered my own question... it doesn't run on itanium...
Just curious if VSI ever got back to you...

Simon.
Paul Coviello
nope... :-(
Simon Clubley
2024-06-26 12:06:43 UTC
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Paul Coviello
Hi Jim I just downloaded the zip file and out of curiosity do I need 'C'
to run this?
never mind I answered my own question... it doesn't run on itanium...
Just curious if VSI ever got back to you...
nope... :-(
Sounds about right, unfortunately.

Simon.
Robert A. Brooks
2024-06-26 15:43:03 UTC
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Paul Coviello
Hi Jim I just downloaded the zip file and out of curiosity do I need 'C'
to run this?
never mind I answered my own question...  it doesn't run on itanium...
Just curious if VSI ever got back to you...
Simon.
nope... :-(
Who of my colleagues have you been emailing with?

Do you have a tracking number for this problem?
-- Rob
Paul Coviello
2024-06-27 01:54:07 UTC
Post by Robert A. Brooks
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Simon Clubley
Post by Paul Coviello
Hi Jim I just downloaded the zip file and out of curiosity do I need 'C'
to run this?
never mind I answered my own question...  it doesn't run on itanium...
Just curious if VSI ever got back to you...
Simon.
nope... :-(
Who of my colleagues have you been emailing with?
Do you have a tracking number for this problem?
after a poke they did get back to me it was Jan and Sophia. no one in
support can help and it would be an SOW with an engineer. Who I still
don't know if they can help. waiting to hear back
Robert A. Brooks
2024-06-27 03:15:27 UTC
Post by Paul Coviello
after a poke they did get back to me it was Jan and Sophia. no one in
support can help and it would be an SOW with an engineer. Who I
still don't know if they can help. waiting to hear back
If you are offered a statement of work, that tends to imply that
the help you are asking for is over and above what is provided
by your support contract.

As an engineer, I don't get involved in those decisions; I just
fix stuff.
-- Rob
Paul Coviello
2024-06-27 13:40:12 UTC
Post by Robert A. Brooks
Post by Paul Coviello
after a poke they did get back to me it was Jan and Sophia. no one in
support can help and it would be an SOW with an engineer.  Who I
still don't know if they can help.  waiting to hear back
If you are offered a statement of work, that tends to imply that
the help you are asking for is over and above what is provided
by your support contract.
As an engineer, I don't get involved in those decisions; I just
fix stuff.
I suppose it is since it's freeware from their website, though to be
honest I would have thought some form of helping set it up with more
documentation would have been nice too.
Arne Vajhøj
2024-06-27 23:46:41 UTC
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Robert A. Brooks
Post by Paul Coviello
after a poke they did get back to me it was Jan and Sophia. no one in
support can help and it would be an SOW with an engineer.  Who I
still don't know if they can help.  waiting to hear back
If you are offered a statement of work, that tends to imply that
the help you are asking for is over and above what is provided
by your support contract.
As an engineer, I don't get involved in those decisions; I just
fix stuff.
I suppose it is since it's freeware from their website, though to be
honest I would have thought some form of helping set it up with more
documentation would have been nice too.
If I understand correctly then this software is:
* a port of the Unix code done by John Vottoro in 1995 on VMS 6.x
* HP put it on the Freeware CD in 2006
* an employee of VSI put up a PDF in 2018 with instructions on
how to get it running on VMS 8.4

I would have been very surprised if VSI considered it covered
by any support contract for any customer. A SOW and a price tag
seems quite natural to me.

Those that do not want to pay for it can change the code and/or
write whatever documentation they need themselves - it is open
source under a BSD license, which is a very permissive license.

Arne
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-06-28 00:23:35 UTC
I suppose it is since it's freeware from their website ...
Is it freeware <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware> or Free software
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software>?
Arne Vajhøj
2024-06-28 00:39:58 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
I suppose it is since it's freeware from their website ...
Is it freeware <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware> or Free software
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software>?
In the broad definition of "freeware" (just meaning gratis as opposed
to a more narrow definition of gratis but not open source): both.

BSD license.

Arne
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-06-28 01:40:57 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
I suppose it is since it's freeware from their website ...
Is it freeware <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeware> or Free
software <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software>?
In the broad definition of "freeware" (just meaning gratis as opposed to
a more narrow definition of gratis but not open source): both.
The two are disjoint.
BSD license.
Free software.
Jim Duff
2024-06-25 18:50:46 UTC
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Jim Duff
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Jim Duff
[Massive snip]
[...]
You need the C compiler to compile it, yes. And no idea what "it
doesn't run on Itanium" means. I originally wrote it on Alpha, and it's
been run in production on Alpha and IA64, and tested on x86.

Jim
eight-cubed.com
Paul Coviello
2024-06-27 01:58:35 UTC
Post by Paul Coviello
Post by Jim Duff
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Jim Duff
[Massive snip]
[...]
"IT" is the executable in the zip file won't run I thought it said
something about platform being wrong... and no 'C' which doesn't help

Now on a side note I did have a spelling issue in the startup file. took
care of that but it doesn't exit the procedure after starting. I'll
know more tomorrow since I'm not logged in right now.

thanks
Arne Vajhøj
2024-06-26 17:26:46 UTC
Post by Jim Duff
Post by Arne Vajhøj
Post by Jim Duff
[Massive snip]
[...]
So to summarize and make sure that everybody sees the
same picture.

Normal flow:

application--->syslogd--->file

Builtin extra capability:

|->OPCOM
application--->syslogd-|
|->file

Not builtin extra capability:

custom program<---OPCOM

application--->syslogd--->file

And it could be very unwise to combine:

custom program<----|
| |
v |->OPCOM-|
application--->syslogd-|
|->file

Arne
Paul Coviello
2024-07-01 15:58:26 UTC
Post by Jim Duff
$ define tcpip$syslogd_config sys$sysroot:[tcpip$syslog]syslogd.cfg
$ mcr []syslogd -d
Jim, I did this command but it never exits back to the prompt.

it repeats since I started it on friday

logmsg: pri 6, flags c, from facst1,msg -- MARK --
priority skip facs:24, 16 < 6 8 times
flushing, count is 0
flushing, count is 1
flushing, count is 2